Impossible to win high velocity even with high speed fighter.

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

maxmax12
x4

Impossible to win high velocity even with high speed fighter.

Post by maxmax12 » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 13:48

I tried and tried and tried. no matter what i'm always short of about 30-50km away.

my ship runs at 5.7k/ms. still too slow?

anyone having this issues?

Deep Space Dragoon
x4

Re: Impossible to win high velocity even with high speed fighter.

Post by Deep Space Dragoon » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 14:04

maxmax12 wrote:
Mon, 6. Apr 20, 13:48
I tried and tried and tried. no matter what i'm always short of about 30-50km away.

my ship runs at 5.7k/ms. still too slow?

anyone having this issues?
To unlock the the Ship mods? I managed using a pretty standard Nodan. Got myself to the starting position when F2 for external view and engaged travel drive and soon as he said go, no engine boost beforehand straight to travel drive .Aimed for the gate and passed through it with not much between it and my left hand wing.Once through it’s quite a straight run to the finish and done it with a few seconds to spare.

maxmax12
x4

Post by maxmax12 » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 14:11

manage to get it done after getting the fastest ship ingame at 8k+/ms but what if you arent friend with that the faction.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 14:15

maxmax12 wrote:
Mon, 6. Apr 20, 14:11
manage to get it done after getting the fastest ship ingame at 8k+/ms but what if you arent friend with that the faction.
The Pegasus is available not only from the Paranid, but from Alliance of the Word as well. And there's always the option of, you know, "liberating" one - what's the harm if you aren't friends anyway?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 14:36

Since it obviously *is* possible, I'll move this out of Tech Sp and into Spoilers.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 15:20

Depends on the starting and ending point. I noticed that stopping the research and reloading generates a new starting point. i.e. the one the starts from Path to Profit is much shorter.

I couldn't finish the one from Grand Exchange IV to one with a drag modded Nodan at 6,7 km/s, but I could finish the one from Path to Profit with 20 seconds to spare.

You will need Argon Travel Drives a Nodan/pegasus and while spooling your travel drive boost your ship.

goduranus
x4

Post by goduranus » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 17:44

Hey how come some people are saying the Nodan is fast? Some have gotten it to go at 10k+ in travel mode? The stats seem to say Pegasus is fastest in stock game.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 17:45

goduranus wrote:
Mon, 6. Apr 20, 17:44
Hey how come some people are saying the Nodan is fast? Some have gotten it to go at 10k+ in travel mode? The stats seem to say Pegasus is fastest in stock game.
Yup. I had a 14k once with both purple mass mod and purple engine mod.

I think it has to do something with ships stats. So a Perseus is somewhat faster but you can shave of more weight with mods from the Nodan.

hannihanagarth
x4

Post by hannihanagarth » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 10:14

What are you guys talking abaout exactly ?

Is this some kind of mission ?

Deep Space Dragoon
x4

Post by Deep Space Dragoon » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 10:29

hannihanagarth wrote:
Tue, 7. Apr 20, 10:14
What are you guys talking abaout exactly ?

Is this some kind of mission ?
It’s the first requirement to unlock the engine mods in the research tree.If you already have all the research done you won’t see ,still to do it? Good luck :)

hannihanagarth
x4

Post by hannihanagarth » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 13:21

Deep Space Dragoon wrote:
Tue, 7. Apr 20, 10:29
It’s the first requirement to unlock the engine mods in the research tree.If you already have all the research done you won’t see ,still to do it? Good luck :)
Aaaah, thanks a lot for the clarification, I did not start the Engine Mod research yet, I started with different ones. Good to know !

bobucles2
x4

Post by bobucles2 » Fri, 10. Apr 20, 21:39

Try getting the chassis mods first. The "reduced drag" mod gives a substantial boost to your top speed.

There is a bit of a trick to blasting your speed up to max, but it only works with the smaller standard drives. The travel drive takes too long to wind up, and the combat drive is too quick to work well. Hold down the boost before engaging travel mode (On keyboard, you may have to change hotkeys to make the button combo work. I use '1' and 'tab'). Once travel mode engages turn it off, boost again and immediately travel mode again. You'll get an insane boost of speed straight out of Crazy Taxi.

It doesn't work on the larger ships, but it makes the smaller ones very fun to fly.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Sat, 11. Apr 20, 10:57

Managed it with a normal Pegasus Vangard. Key seemed to be not leaving travel mode and keep the ship pointing in the right direction.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Sat, 11. Apr 20, 15:50

I just had an epic with this quest until I asked how to do it.

You don't need anything special and you can get it regardless of rep with the Paranid (unless it's so bad they won't trade with you at all I guess). The ship you need is the Pegasus Scout from the Paranid. You don't need mods, but it helps a bit to fit it with the Argon Mk 3 Travel Drive engine as this is a bit quicker than the Paranid version. A simple strategy works:

* On "Go" engage travel drive whilst mashing the boost button - the boost will work whilst the TD is winding up giving a bit of extra acceleration.
* Fly straight at the gate.
* Backspace to an instant dead stop immediately in front of the accelerator gate.
* Mash boost and apply throttle to enter the accelerator
* Engage TD immediately and mash boost again if you got any juice left on the other side.

This simple approach enabled me to do it with 13s to spare. The Pegasus is....quick.

I'm sure it's possible to do it faster if you you fly a curved course at the gate such that you can enter it at full speed and avoid the dead stop (which might make it possible with a somewhat slower ship) but this is tricky. And not necessary. The Pegasus is worth having anyway, it's a really nice ride.

oli4uk
x4

Post by oli4uk » Sat, 15. May 21, 23:38

I'm going to say starting position matters a lot here, I've got a few hundred hours of gameplay under my belt and so far I've almost made it just once on a perfect run, once. Using pegasus on travel mk 3 engines (Tried All around and got worse times).

Going to keep trying here but I'm guessing most new players are going to find this one impossible.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 15. May 21, 23:58

Pegasus Vanguard has never failed me both times I did the mission in SV. In CoH I used the Terran scout ship and also won. MK3 engines of course, although ARG Travel with its higher speed and TER Travel with its higher acceleration are likely both viable.

Pegasus Vanguard with ARG Mk3 Travel Engines hits nearly 10 km/sec. This is much faster than 5.7 km/sec.

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Tue, 18. May 21, 11:16

You need to use travel mode, not the normal combat speed.

Hawkseyez
x4

Post by Hawkseyez » Tue, 18. May 21, 20:50

paraskous wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 11:16
You need to use travel mode, not the normal combat speed.
absolutely. amazing you have to say that. smh.

NPSH

Post by NPSH » Thu, 20. May 21, 23:00

Gregorovitch wrote:
Sat, 11. Apr 20, 15:50
I'm sure it's possible to do it faster if you you fly a curved course at the gate such that you can enter it at full speed and avoid the dead stop (which might make it possible with a somewhat slower ship) but this is tricky. And not necessary. The Pegasus is worth having anyway, it's a really nice ride.
Learn to use 'Flight Assist: Disabled'. Go to top travel speed, aming a bit off-gate. Hit flight assist off. Your forward speed maintains as you turn. As you close on the gate, shortly before you reach it re-enable flight assist and watch the crazy turn you take right into the gate. Disable again on the other side, and aim to the finish line and re-enable. Did this with 45 seconds to spare first try, but I had been practicing.

You have no idea how life changing the use of flight assist and travel drive has been, especially for traveling quickly with large ships. I've placed nav beacons all over about 80km off of gates and accelerators to have good targets to aim at with large or extremely fast ships.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 21. May 21, 15:00

Not impossible, I've done it in the slow and bulky eclipse with no mods, just got to know how to actually pilot your ship.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”