Could someone explain missile types

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mavo Pi
x4

Could someone explain missile types

Post by Mavo Pi » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 17:33

Does someone know what is the difference in target behavior between guided, intelligent and swarm missiles? I tried swarm missiles because wasp and taiphoon were my favourites in X3 but in x4 they fly straight ahead most of the time even when my npc use them.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Could someone explain missile types

Post by euclid » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 19:38

Hi Mavo Pi :-)

Here some info:

Launchers
Most versatile are tracking launcher because they can equip 5 out of 8 different types: guided, heatseaker,swarm, smart and emp missiles.
The dumfire launcher, as the name indicates, can equip dumbfire missiles but also cluster missiles. And last not least the torpedo launcher
which, quite obvious, can only equip torpedos.

All missiles have a cool down. So don't expect to fire rapid salvos.

The dumbfire have the fastest rate of fire but, as the name suggests, they are dumb, fly in a straight line. So you are likely to miss unless
your are close and/or your target is very slow. There is no target assist even with the mk2 software. Hence little chance to hit a fast moving target.

Cluster missiles are of dumbfire type and hence, again, you are likely to miss unless you have an almost static target. However, they do a lot
of damage but also have the longest cool down of all missiles.

EMP missiles are like the Yaki disruptor missiles: No damage but disable boost and travel mode for a short time. Once a target is selected they
lock on (visual: diamond) from quite a distance. However, they have a rather long cool down and are too slow to catch up before self-destruct.
It is tricky to intercept a fast traveling target head-on to get a hit. if you're too far off then the EMP will miss because its speed and turning rate
is to low to correct the trajectory fast enough.

The guided missile is the only other missile with lock on ability and has a short cool down, does decent damage but has a short-lock on range.

The heatseaker missile is not, as the name may suggest, of type fire and forget. They won't seek out new targets on their own as far as I could
observe. Once you've selected a target they will home in but if the target is destroyed before they hit, they do not seek a new one (maybe they do
but their turning speed and lifetime is insufficient).

The smart missile is not that different. It is debatable what makes it "smart". It will home in on the selected target.

Swarm missiles already known from previous X games. The X4 version does not spiral-in as spectacular. They have a decent speed, cool down and
total damage but a short range.

Torpedos are the high damage dealer. They move straight to the selected target from far away but to the cost of a long cool down. Just don't be close
if they hit.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Mavo Pi
x4

Post by Mavo Pi » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 19:48

Thank you :)

AN7AG0NIS7
x4

Post by AN7AG0NIS7 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:07

I find that Smart missiles are better at tracking their target than Heatseekers.

Smart missiles can turn around on a dime to chase down S-class pirate ships even if it misses on the initial approach. Heatseekers can't and are probably better used on less nimble targets.

Oh and torpedos are great for disabling capital ship engines. It also looks like they have a slight tracking capability.

_BadAim_
x4

Post by _BadAim_ » Thu, 27. Dec 18, 17:43

euclid wrote:
Sat, 15. Dec 18, 19:38

Swarm missiles already known from previous X games. The X4 version does not spiral-in as spectacular. They have a decent speed, cool down and

Cheers Euclid
Hey mate,

for some strange reason, my guided swarm missiles seem not to track anything at all - they behave like a giant blue useles shotgun?
How do you get them to track?

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Thu, 27. Dec 18, 22:09

_BadAim_ wrote:
Thu, 27. Dec 18, 17:43
euclid wrote:

Cheers Euclid
Hey mate,

for some strange reason, my guided swarm missiles seem not to track anything at all - they behave like a giant blue useles shotgun?
I'm guessing you are using the heavy version? Those turn really slow and are meant against large ships or structures. Try the light ones.

euclid wrote:

The smart missile is not that different. It is debatable what makes it "smart". It will home in on the selected target.

I swear that smart missiles seem to ignore CM.

clowncar2131
x4

Post by clowncar2131 » Fri, 28. Dec 18, 10:02

csaba wrote:
Thu, 27. Dec 18, 22:09
Smart missiles have 0.98 countermeasure resist in their XML, compared to heatseeker's 0.62 and dumbfire's value of 1, so I'm guessing that might mean they have a 98% chance to ignore countermeasures? Not really sure how the countermeasure resist works, but there is an apparent difference defined in the game data.

_BadAim_
x4

Post by _BadAim_ » Fri, 28. Dec 18, 10:44

csaba wrote:
_BadAim_ wrote:
euclid wrote:

Cheers Euclid
Hey mate,

I'm guessing you are using the heavy version? Those turn really slow and are meant against large ships or structures. Try the light ones.

Nope - the light swarms; they seem to get fired off in the general direction of the target, but just instantly split up upon firing and fly in a straight line after that

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 28. Dec 18, 13:21

_BadAim_ wrote:
Hey mate,

Hi _BadAim_ :-)

Yes, you are right. It's a known issue and will be fixed in a future patch.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

rhohltjr
x3tc

Re: Could someone explain missile mods

Post by rhohltjr » Sat, 29. Dec 18, 03:12

I haven't looked on Nexus or the Workshop yet, has anyone created / modded Mosquito missiles yet?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 29. Dec 18, 05:05

csaba wrote:
euclid wrote:
Smart missiles seem to be the X4 equivalent of the silkworm missile from X3 and prior - self-guided missiles that do not require a missile lock to fire. They may ignore counter measures too but I would not bet on it.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

scav_n_ger
x3ap

Post by scav_n_ger » Sat, 29. Dec 18, 15:01

Thanks, euclid, for the explanation.

Would be be so kind as to elaborate on the difference between mk1 and mk2 versions of the launchers, as well, please?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 29. Dec 18, 18:26

The MK2 versions have just a higher storage capacity.

Cheers Euclid

rhohltjr
x3tc

Post by rhohltjr » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 03:13

rhohltjr wrote:
Sat, 29. Dec 18, 03:12
I haven't looked on Nexus or the Workshop yet, has anyone created / modded Mosquito missiles yet?
I haven't seen any factory modules listed in the forums that manufacture missiles or guns. Missile components yes. That factory module exists.
Is there a module where the missiles are assembled? Hope the missiles are not created by magic. :?

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 11:50

rhohltjr wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 03:13
I haven't seen any factory modules listed in the forums that manufacture missiles or guns. Missile components yes. That factory module exists.
Is there a module where the missiles are assembled? Hope the missiles are not created by magic. :?
Not quite magic. Missiles are assembled by shipyards / wharfs / eq docks when you request missiles for your ships. Thus the shipyards etc put out buy orders and keep a stock of missile parts, scanning arrays, smart chips, or whatever else they need to create the missiles. Then when you order missiles, they assemble the type you requested, in the quantity you requested, consuming an appropriate amount of each ingredient.

Now, if you talk to your faction representatives, you can also obtain blueprints for various missile types. Once you have these blueprints, it is my understanding (I have not personally tested but have read reports, and not read anyone contradicting them) that ANY of your stations can manufacture missiles of the types you own the blueprints for. All you need to do is equip the station with at least one missile turret, and then on the logical overview of the station near where you mess with the drone settings there will be a missiles box where you can specify how many of each type of missile to keep in stock. The station manager will then put out buy orders for the appropriate parts if you don't already have them in storage, and the missiles will be manufactured... although what specific module performs the manufacturing process is unclear.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:56

It's more streamlined or dumbed down. You can purchase and supply all your stations with the components to make said missiles. Your station manager puts them together (magic) to make the missiles. Drones on stations are the same thing in my experience. The player can manufacture all wares themselves. Key factor till 2.0 hopefully is player shipyards themselves. You only require the blueprints for tracking turrets and whatever missile type you want on your stations.

caltrop
x4

Post by caltrop » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 00:01

Missiles are assembled by the station manager using missile components and smart chips

Similarly for drones, using drone components and smart chips

rhohltjr
x3tc

Post by rhohltjr » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 02:35

OK. Thanks for letting me know about missile construction.
I guess it's better to get fresh cooked missiles instead of ones that maybe sit under a heat lamp for hours till you want some. :D :o

Klausberger

Post by Klausberger » Fri, 10. Apr 20, 14:45

Anyone knows what the disruptor Missiles do?

bobucles2
x4

Post by bobucles2 » Sat, 11. Apr 20, 17:45

Baconnaise wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:56
It's more streamlined or dumbed down. You can purchase and supply all your stations with the components to make said missiles. Your station manager puts them together (magic) to make the missiles.
Frankly, I both understand and enjoy that the economy works this way. X3 required a dedicated factory for every individual weapon and component. This was a big problem for the PPC, which tended to disappear off the map. Now you merely need generic "munitions", which can build lots of things. It's less headache from the user end, and ensures the economy can work smoothly.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”