Help with my first mod! [Sound Replacer]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

joey645
x4

Help with my first mod! [Sound Replacer]

Post by joey645 » Sun, 14. May 23, 00:44

Hello all! Pleasure to be here :)

I'm a first time modder for X4 and would love to get a little bit of help with my first mod. A little bit about me, I've worked as a sound engineer for Star Wars Galaxies: Legends in the past and I've been able to overhaul the sounds on that game to be high quality. I find that sounds can massively make or break immersion for a game on a fundamental level. Not being too happy with X4's sounds, I want to be able to change the sounds I want at will. However, running into a snag on my first simple mod.

I'm looking to change/add announcements inside of spaceports. I have 2 wav files I want to add or just replace from the 22 wavs the announcer has. Now, I'm not too sure how to go about this. From other mods I've seen, I've seen people have a sample list and just replace them with a random sample of a list of 5+ files. However, I'm only looking to replace or add 2 files or 1 file. I also don't want to remove all the announcements from the list. What would be the best way to do this? Or do I have to have a sample list done? Thank you all for your help :)

Axeface
x4

Re: Help with my first mod! [Sound Replacer]

Post by Axeface » Sun, 14. May 23, 14:00

joey645 wrote:
Sun, 14. May 23, 00:44

I'm a first time modder for X4 and would love to get a little bit of help with my first mod. A little bit about me, I've worked as a sound engineer for Star Wars Galaxies: Legends in the past and I've been able to overhaul the sounds on that game to be high quality. I find that sounds can massively make or break immersion for a game on a fundamental level. Not being too happy with X4's sounds, I want to be able to change the sounds I want at will. However, running into a snag on my first simple mod.

I'm looking to change/add announcements inside of spaceports. I have 2 wav files I want to add or just replace from the 22 wavs the announcer has. Now, I'm not too sure how to go about this. From other mods I've seen, I've seen people have a sample list and just replace them with a random sample of a list of 5+ files. However, I'm only looking to replace or add 2 files or 1 file. I also don't want to remove all the announcements from the list. What would be the best way to do this? Or do I have to have a sample list done? Thank you all for your help :)
Hello and welcome, I'm not expert but as no one has replied i'll try. Audio is in voice-l044 folder. Once you have found the sound files you want to replace arrange your mod into the same folder structure with your sound files having the same name as the files you want to replace, then package your mod into a subst_01 cat/dat. That should just replace those lines (Ive never actually done this but I think it should work).

joey645
x4

Post by joey645 » Sun, 14. May 23, 21:35

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 14. May 23, 14:00
joey645 wrote:

Hello and welcome, I'm not expert but as no one has replied i'll try. Audio is in voice-l044 folder. Once you have found the sound files you want to replace arrange your mod into the same folder structure with your sound files having the same name as the files you want to replace, then package your mod into a subst_01 cat/dat. That should just replace those lines (Ive never actually done this but I think it should work).
Thank you! I'm going to give it a shot right now :) I appreciate you reaching out! I'll let you know how it goes.

joey645
x4

Post by joey645 » Mon, 15. May 23, 19:07

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 14. May 23, 14:00
joey645 wrote:

Worked like a charm! I was trying to get this done with loose files but doesn't seem like it was possible no matter what I tried. You're so awesome for being the one to respond and help me out thank you!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 16. May 23, 18:33

Replacement of sounds and textures can and should be done using a subst_01.cat packaging that has the identical root as vanilla as Axeface explained. But you can also redirect the macro making a diff/replace file having the same name of where they are listed, I suppose libraries/sounds.xml. This works also with lose files so you can use them ingame without having to repack at every change.

If you want to add new sounds then they have to be listed first in the index/macro.xml then added through diff/add in the same file sounds.xml (not replace of course). I changed soundtracks that way but replaced the sounds through subst package so I don't remember now if sounds are listed there too or only music. But suppose so.

Voice's lines are in the T folder

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”