mods and a modified game

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Halpog
x4

mods and a modified game

Post by Halpog » Wed, 11. Jan 23, 16:51

are there any mods that dont set the game to modified ?
for example ship mods ? anything at all ?

YorrickVander
x4

Re: mods and a modified game

Post by YorrickVander » Wed, 11. Jan 23, 18:38

At the risk of sarcasm, no, the clues rather in the name. Modifying the game makes the save modified. That's the begining and the end.
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 12. Jan 23, 15:28

Even doing a non-budgeted custom start sets the game to Modified status.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Fri, 13. Jan 23, 23:08

Scoob wrote:
Thu, 12. Jan 23, 15:28
Even doing a non-budgeted custom start sets the game to Modified status.
yeah thats why i was asking..
because i use the gog version of the game.. and its not clear to me how to "archieve" things to have a better budget game start options.. since its not clear for me where the game gets the infos from , to alter the budget gamestart....
or is the budget game start scanning save games for a better start ?

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 14. Jan 23, 00:23

I'd not worry about a game being marked "Modified" if you're enjoying what the mods add to the game. The "Modified" tag is, I assume, more to help the devs with bug reports - basically, they'll generally ignore bug reports in modified games. Can't really blame them, as you're technically running code that's not theirs.

Basically, as far as I'm aware, there aren't any mods - at least, none I use - that don't mark the game as Modified. I use various ship mods, some rebalance-type mods and mods that add various extra commands and features. My game is Modified, but I'm fine with that.

If you wanted to give yourself a bit of a head-start by doing a custom non-budgeted (aka no limits) game start, go for it.

Funnily enough, when I'm beta testing a new version, I'll often do a non-budgeted game start to test things, then be clear in my reports that's why the game is showing as Modified. That I'm NOT using third-party mods, but the game flagged its self as modified.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sat, 14. Jan 23, 09:02

ok so, when i do a budget game start, i have some stuff i can change to get an easier gamestart. so. when i want to have more money for a game start, where does thenon budget gamestart, gets the info from, when iam using the gog version of the game ? since gog has no steam archievments .
does it gets infos from other games like scanning 10 save files and check how much money i have there to get a higher money cap in the budget game start ?

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 14. Jan 23, 10:21

Halpog wrote:
Sat, 14. Jan 23, 09:02
ok so, when i do a budget game start, i have some stuff i can change to get an easier gamestart. so. when i want to have more money for a game start, where does thenon budget gamestart, gets the info from, when iam using the gog version of the game ? since gog has no steam archievments .
does it gets infos from other games like scanning 10 save files and check how much money i have there to get a higher money cap in the budget game start ?
The idea of the budget gamestart is to set earlier "achievements". It has nothing to do with these [nonsense] achievements on shop platforms, it is tracked in a signed XML file.
So basically in order to e.g. have more money available to distribute you have to have a very advanced savegame and load it. This way the signed XML file gets updated. Same principle applies to universe exploration (which sectors you know), game stories (which plots did you finish) etc..

Code: Select all

userdata_signed.xml
Even more to read about the gamestarts: https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... ame+Starts

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sat, 14. Jan 23, 11:14

chew-ie wrote:
Sat, 14. Jan 23, 10:21
Halpog wrote:
Sat, 14. Jan 23, 09:02
The idea of the budget gamestart is to set earlier "achievements". It has nothing to do with these [nonsense] achievements on shop platforms, it is tracked in a signed XML file.
So basically in order to e.g. have more money available to distribute you have to have a very advanced savegame and load it. This way the signed XML file gets updated. Same principle applies to universe exploration (which sectors you know), game stories (which plots did you finish) etc..

Code: Select all

userdata_signed.xml
Even more to read about the gamestarts: https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... ame+Starts
ahhh ok now it makes sense thnx a ot :)

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 15. Jan 23, 16:26

One thing to be mindful of is how the last game loaded can impact what's allowed in your Budget. For example, I created a simple Game Start, not giving me anything extra over one of the default game-starts, but doing basic stuff like setting my Character name, ship name etc. Stuff I do in the first couple of minutes of starting anyway. I had a fairly generous budget available, but I didn't it, basically just starting with a basic Discoverer, no sectors known etc.

I then wanted to set up another budgeted start, based on the first, to actually play, but with a couple of things added. I started with the Suit Thrusters Mk2 - I like claiming ships early-game, and the basic thrusters are frustratingly slow - and I think I made a few tweaks to the starting Discoverer (adding some crew), but that was it. I noticed that I had a significantly lower budget this time, one assumed influenced by my testing of the prior game-start.

I suspect that if I'd loaded my mature game again prior to creating that second budgeted start, I'd perhaps have gotten back that larger budget. I didn't need the higher budget for the second game-start - the one I actually ended up playing - but others might want to add a few extra based on their prior achievements.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sun, 15. Jan 23, 21:47

well good to know ... than i will keep my old save and load it before i start a new one, worth a try anyway.
thnx for the infos

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”