Good ways to boost a faction's combat ship production?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

hqz
x3ap

Good ways to boost a faction's combat ship production?

Post by hqz » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 11:13

I'm developing a mod that increases a faction's war capabilities based on how military strong the player is and the relations between this faction and the player. The overall idea is to force the player to stay nimble to prevent the usual endgame pattern where the player can just produce 10x more ships than their enemy and steamroll the galaxy.

I'm not super familiar with this part of the code (factions producing military ships) so I am looking for advice on how to implement this.

I was thinking of maybe injecting more resources into the faction's shipyard but is there a way to tell that these resources will be used for a military ship?

I guess I should look at mods like FOCW or Faction Enhancer but if people have ideas, feel free to share them here.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Good ways to boost a faction's combat ship production?

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 13:30

hqz wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 11:13
I'm developing a mod that increases a faction's war capabilities based on how military strong the player is and the relations between this faction and the player. The overall idea is to force the player to stay nimble to prevent the usual endgame pattern where the player can just produce 10x more ships than their enemy and steamroll the galaxy.

I'm not super familiar with this part of the code (factions producing military ships) so I am looking for advice on how to implement this.

I was thinking of maybe injecting more resources into the faction's shipyard but is there a way to tell that these resources will be used for a military ship?

I guess I should look at mods like FOCW or Faction Enhancer but if people have ideas, feel free to share them here.
Factions are limited by the amount of ships they are allowed to build for the most part with just plain vanilla. FOCW increases the amount of ships that factions will build depending on the settings. Other mods might also increase the amount of ships that a faction can build. Other than that, they are limited by resources. I use Deadair fill and I set it up so it will constantly replenish the resources in shipyards. This keeps the factions at max ships throughout the game. I personally like it like that. However, even then, it will be hard for the AI to keep up if I go in serious so I usually give myself some handicaps too, to keep it interesting. You can of course increase the maximum amount of fleets they can build even more, but there might be issues with performance if you go too high.

hqz
x3ap

Post by hqz » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 18:13

BlackRain wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 13:30
Factions are limited by the amount of ships they are allowed to build for the most part with just plain vanilla. FOCW increases the amount of ships that factions will build depending on the settings. Other mods might also increase the amount of ships that a faction can build. Other than that, they are limited by resources. I use Deadair fill and I set it up so it will constantly replenish the resources in shipyards. This keeps the factions at max ships throughout the game. I personally like it like that. However, even then, it will be hard for the AI to keep up if I go in serious so I usually give myself some handicaps too, to keep it interesting. You can of course increase the maximum amount of fleets they can build even more, but there might be issues with performance if you go too high.
Thanks for this info.

So if I understand correctly, it's possible that boosting the amount of ships requested by a faction won't change much if they don't have the resources to build them? Among these 2 aspects (ships ordered and resources available), do we know which one is usually the bottleneck for a faction? (I assume it depends on the situation but I'm curious on average -- to decide where to invest)

I'm wondering if I could just make FOCW a required dependency of my mod and just change its settings dynamically based on the player's military fleet and relations. I need to look at FOCW's source code to better understand if that's a realistic approach.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 22:25

hqz wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 18:13
BlackRain wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 13:30
Thanks for this info.

So if I understand correctly, it's possible that boosting the amount of ships requested by a faction won't change much if they don't have the resources to build them? Among these 2 aspects (ships ordered and resources available), do we know which one is usually the bottleneck for a faction? (I assume it depends on the situation but I'm curious on average -- to decide where to invest)

I'm wondering if I could just make FOCW a required dependency of my mod and just change its settings dynamically based on the player's military fleet and relations. I need to look at FOCW's source code to better understand if that's a realistic approach.
Well, the way FOCW does it, is it has settings which activate different jobs.

I guess you could set it so that it would dynamically increase or decrease the amount of job ships based on player's military fleet but it would probably require new code. However, the bottleneck will still be resources. The game just can't keep up in that regards (without serious player involvement).

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 31. Jan 22, 13:09

well i dont think its a question of ship numbers, i think its more a question about "where" all this ships are .....
when i check secotrs for argon, there is in every sector a major fleet or even 2 or 3 of them .. but at a war sector not ....
they come and fly into battle with 3 to 4 ships and thats it ....
the only fleets ive seen so far what can be called fleets are the xenon .. they realy "invade " a sector and take it and go to the next...
that something other factions dont do .so wher are all the ships they build so far ?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”