Converting X4 models from .XML to .Dae

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Avacus
x4

Converting X4 models from .XML to .Dae

Post by Avacus » Sun, 2. Jan 22, 19:19

Hello!

I know I'm rather late to this, I only got the game recently and decided it'd be cool to get some of the terran models fir a project.

Unfortunately, I've encountered a problem. After unpacking the files, I try to run the converter I found while searching the forums and it runs for a few moments, then stops. Nothing really happens, theres no .dae file, the command prompt doesn't update... nothing.

I saw some people in the thread experiencing the same problem, but they seemingly came across a solution that worked for them. I attempted their fix, but it didn't help at all.

So if anyone could walk me through this process, show me what I'm doing wrong, or even point me towards a different way of converting the models to a useable format I would greatly appreciate it.

sprIder
x4

Re: Converting X4 models from .XML to .Dae

Post by sprIder » Wed, 5. Jan 22, 10:26

Hello Avacus and welcome to the forum.

It would be nice if you could be more specific about what you have already read through here on the forum about this and what all you have tried. I assume you mean these threads here: How To: Export Models, Re-Import. (Blender) and [Tool] .xmf/.xac <-> .dae converter and have already read through all pages of them and tried accordingly.

Then it would be interesting to know if you unpacked your game into another folder, what this path is, and if you also put all files from the converter into this folder. And then of course it would be interesting what you wrote in your .bat file and where you put it.

Without that, the rest of us can only guess.

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 10:00

Is it possible you've stumbled upon the following annoying quirk with the command prompt?

If you select anything in the window, then the execution halts.
To cancel the selection press ESC or just enter to copy it.

This happens both in CMD and PowerShell.
I used to do this for a long time before I figured out what was going on.

If you want to see how it works, just create a .bat with the following and observe the behavior.

Code: Select all

@echo off
:start
timeout 1
goto start

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 12:54

For me, the following worked fine.

Code: Select all

.\XRConvertersmain.exe importxmf "F:\X4" "F:\X4\assets\units\size_s\ship_arg_s_fighter_01.xml"
The program exits silently if the .XML and directory don't exist. :evil:

Edit: To clarify, you need to manage the backslashes and either using \\ or enclosing the whole path with " " works.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”