Request: Mod for temporarily controlling another faction's ship.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

stiven2
x4

Request: Mod for temporarily controlling another faction's ship.

Post by stiven2 » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 00:48

Hello. I don't know if there's a mod that allows you to take control of another factions ship.
Like if you're standing in the cockpit, you can ask the pilot if you can take control of the ship. And when you get up, the faction controls it again.
I don't know how hard it would be to program.

But it would be pretty cool if you wanted to jump into a war between two factions, and play as a pilot on one of the sides.

It could maybe be once you reached a certain very high reputation level with that faction, they would allow you to teleport to their ships and take control of it at will.

Could maybe be paired with the Escape Teleport mod.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Request: Mod for temporarily controlling another faction's ship.

Post by euclid » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 14:20

That's a tricky one. Taking over a such a ship is easily done but to pass it back is not that simple. Faction controlled ships may be assigned to a station and may be part of a ship group. Moreover, the captain will have a script running (like "patrol") but may have a batch of tasks (i.e. a series of scripts). All this would have to be restored once you leave control. I'm not aware of any mod that does that. Best way to pass control back to the faction is to sell it to one of the faction's ship yards ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 22:21

euclid wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 14:20
...Taking over a such a ship is easily done...
how do you enable the activation of controls on npc ships that the player is allowed click?
this would be a nice trick.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 16. Jan 22, 00:45

kuertee wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 22:21
euclid wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 14:20
...Taking over a such a ship is easily done...
how do you enable the activation of controls on npc ships that the player is allowed click?
this would be a nice trick.
What I meant is that you just change ownership of the ship to the player. But the reverse is trricky because changeing owership to a faction may not assign tasks (scripts) to the captain not to mention the assignment to stations or battlegroups.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Sun, 16. Jan 22, 02:59

ahhh pity.

i have a feeling that simply letting the player activate on the non-player-faction ship will allow the player to "fly" for that faction.
i.e. the ship will not change to the player's faction and reactions to that ship will be as if to that faction.

it's also possible to:
1. give that ship to the player's faction
2. then immediately use the "cover" system as the ship's original faction.

i've not yet experienced that point in the game yet when the cover system is used. i don't know if the experience is as if you're flying for the ship's original faction.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Wed, 2. Mar 22, 00:42

If it's a free job ship not in a command hierarchy that belongs to a commandeerable job, you might be able to commandeer_object and change ownership. After you're done, clear orders, change ownership back and release_commandeered_object which should restore the ship's job-defined default order. Don't know if changing ownership to player would mess its link with the job engine, though; and no guarantees on this one since these are script actions I never really use.

Does the player have to directly control the ship? Could give commands via comms, that would be all MD work.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”