[Query]How to swap cockpit scenes between different ships?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

JPB101673
x4

[Query]How to swap cockpit scenes between different ships?

Post by JPB101673 » Tue, 14. Dec 21, 19:00

After a seven year hiatus between X3 and X4 I'm getting back into playing/modding and need a little help please with understanding cockpit scenes in X4.

I'm trying to swap the Nemesis cockpit scene for the Plutus since I have always despised the offset cockpits and in the old days I could just copy and paste the correct line in notepad or the X3 editor.

However after looking through the unpacked X4 XML files, I cannot find where the information is located. I'm also not sure this will work without doing some remodeling since the space suit exits the Nemesis on the underside and the Plutus exits on the top side of the ships?

Axeface
x4

Re: [Query]How to swap cockpit scenes between different ships?

Post by Axeface » Tue, 14. Dec 21, 20:24

You can replace the nemesis cockpit mesh files with the ones from the Plutus (just renaming the files and placing them in a subst_01 archive will probably be enough), then you will have to change the location of all the parent components of the cockpit and other relevant objects in assets\units\size_m\ship_par_m_corvette_01.xml with a patch file.
Load the Plutus into blender and delete everything except the cockpit components and other relevant stuff like the button/button sound etc, then import the Nemesis, delete its own cockpit parts and then select all the plutus cockpit parts from their base component and move them all together to where you want them as a group. Then you can pull the location of each part directly from blender and type them into the xml.
There are a lot of parts and not all will show up in blender. Seats, buttons, cockpit frame, cockpit mode-light, cockpit dirt, collisions, the whole cabin model, the transporter rooms doors (but not the transporter itself) etc etc. Things that dont show up are things like all the lights that are inside the cockpit, for those you will have to trawl through the xml and figure out which lights are from the cockpit and move them manually too.
Perhaps if you know about xmls you might be able to automate some of this, i certainly dont and end up having to do it all manually.

And unless you dont care about blatent clipping and possible collision issues then yes, it will require extensive remodeling. I think the plutus cockpit is much larger, and its shape is completely different.
Perhaps the demeter cockpit would be closer?

JPB101673
x4

Re: [Query]How to swap cockpit scenes between different ships?

Post by JPB101673 » Tue, 14. Dec 21, 21:36

Thanks, Axeface.

I figured to do it right some remodeling would be needed, and I have never used Blender only Gmax and 3ds and I'm afeared of Blender. :lol:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”