More spatially accurate map

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

kmunoz
x4

More spatially accurate map

Post by kmunoz » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 09:19

This is something I've started working on...

It's always bothered me that the X4 map doesn't spatially match what you see when you're flying around the various sectors. The connections are in weird places, and especially the sub-sector areas are *completely* wrong in terms of relative position.

What I'm doing isn't exactly a mod, but I'm not sure where else it would go. So I'm putting it here. This is just a preview - I've just started working on it, and unless there's an easier way to do it, I'm just going to have to fly around to each sector in the game and do some old school cartography. Eventually I plan to have a single really big map file (or possibly a set of smaller ones that can be fitted together).

https://i.imgur.com/3Jn3JQA.png

Note in particular that Black Hole Sun IV and V are positioned correctly with respect to one another and the star and the two planets. The scale isn't correct - this is an abstraction - but the relative positions are (roughly) accurate.
Last edited by Terre on Mon, 13. Dec 21, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: More spatially accurate map

Post by kuertee » Mon, 13. Dec 21, 06:42

interesting.

it also bugged me that, i can't remember which sector, that there are two planets that are VERY close to each other that makes them look like discs rather than globes.
Trinity Sanctum, I think.
Dunno if anything can be done about that, though.
It's eye candy, for sure. But its grating for nerds like me who are particular about physics and astronomy. :D
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”