[DEVS] Modder access to debug mode

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Endellur
x4

[DEVS] Modder access to debug mode

Post by Endellur » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 21:34

First I wanted to thank you all for the great game! X4 is by far my favorite game and I really enjoy all the great features and enhancements made over the years to make it even better. The modding support for this game is some of the best I've seen and I really enjoy looking through the unpacked files and learning more about the game.

There is a lot of criticism on this forum towards the devs and as a fellow developer I can tell how complex this code must be to provide this level of simulation. I'd like to thank you for all the work you've put in and how you continue to be active on these forums even with all the complaints. There are those of us that really enjoy this game as is and are grateful for the new features and bug fixes when they are available. Keep up the good work!

As I have been looking through the unpacked files I've noticed many references to debug="true", player.debug and IsCheatVersion that appear to be gating some nice testing features. I know there are limitations to the "power" that can be given to modders but I've love to be able to use these features to learn more about the game and how it works internally. I'm interested in reviewing your unit tests as well as building some galaxy scenarios from scratch to see how the engine can handle different cases. I also expect that your team has a way to see the status of all running cues, manually activate cues and possibly debug through them as well. Again, I know this is asking a lot, but these could be great tools for modders to build their mods as well as help track down bugs and issues for the dev team. I'd like to encourage you to consider releasing some of these tools or a Debug version of the exe for modders to use if it is possible.

Thanks again for the great game and please let us know how those of us with a development background can help!

Endellur
x4

Re: [DEVS] Modder access to debug mode

Post by Endellur » Tue, 9. Nov 21, 17:48

Just found this today in the wiki, it looks like this process may have been started here:

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... d=89148143

Shuulo
x4

Re: [DEVS] Modder access to debug mode

Post by Shuulo » Tue, 9. Nov 21, 18:38

mykbaker wrote:
Tue, 9. Nov 21, 17:48
Just found this today in the wiki, it looks like this process may have been started here:

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... d=89148143
It was there for years now IIRC, there is no way to have debugging functionality in-game for us right now except debug log.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”