non xml format for save files

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Avalakh
x4

non xml format for save files

Post by Avalakh » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 21:46

Is it possible to use mods to change the save format to some other, not xml, at least maybe better json? When using xml, the speed of loading and saving is depressing. It is even better to use sql with such volumes of the saved file.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: non xml format for save files

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 21:51

This has been discussed dozens of times. Most of the save time is due to state iteration and load time due to state reconstruction. The compressing/decompressing of the save file, as well as generation/parsing of XML is not the main cause for the long times.

sabbede
x4

Re: non xml format for save files

Post by sabbede » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 04:39

Avalalalavak is right. This game needs to be as much like my job as possible, and a migrating the codebase from using XML to SQL is a huge step in the right direction. Yeah, ideally the entire game would be played across Excel spreadsheets, but including some SQL would still be pretty sweet.
While we're at it, I'd really prefer powershell for the scripts. You know, like foreach($attacker in $sectorEnemies){if($range -lt $TurretMaxRange){ ...wait, let me doublecheck how to add objects to an array. I don't want to look silly.

I'm really looking forward to the part where you migrate factories to Azure, but I'm most excited about using IPsec tunnels to secure my teleporters.

SELECT * FROM ideas WHERE awesomeness = 100%!!!!

(I can't tell if I'm joking anymore)
Asus TUF x570 PRO Wi-Fi
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
32gig Patriot Viper PC4-35200
RTX 3070Ti
EVGA 850 GS PSU
Windows 10 x64
and a joystick.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”