Weapons, engines, shields compatibility question.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

ZodiacExplorer
x4

Weapons, engines, shields compatibility question.

Post by ZodiacExplorer » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 14:55

I am thinking about making a mod with several new ships, and I have one question.

I had noticed that in X4 there is no weapon compatibility, as long as the weapon is of the same class as the "slot" on the ship, the ship can mount such weapon.

Is it possible to make weapons/shields/engines which are only compatible with certain ships? If not then is it possible to add entirely new classes of weapons, engines, shields as a workaround?

The primary reason why I'm asking is because I have angular ship designs, and X4 rounded engines do not fit well with those designs.

Shuulo
x4

Re: Weapons, engines, shields compatibility question.

Post by Shuulo » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 15:50

Yes, anything can be slot or ship specific.
Compatability between slot and equipment is designated by tag, connection on ship and in equipment should have same tags to be compatible.
Tags are free text so you can come up with your own and as many as you want, its just that in vanilla only 3 tags used - standard (for all weapons), highpowered (for terran weapons) and missile (for missile turrets). There are some core tags that should not be changed, e.g slot class (turret, weapon, etc)
Good example of these new tags will be Star Wars mod and VRO mod, which bring new shields, weapons that are unique to certain factions/ships etc

ZodiacExplorer
x4

Re: Weapons, engines, shields compatibility question.

Post by ZodiacExplorer » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 16:23

Shuulo wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 15:50
Yes, anything can be slot or ship specific.
Compatability between slot and equipment is designated by tag, connection on ship and in equipment should have same tags to be compatible.
Tags are free text so you can come up with your own and as many as you want, its just that in vanilla only 3 tags used - standard (for all weapons), highpowered (for terran weapons) and missile (for missile turrets). There are some core tags that should not be changed, e.g slot class (turret, weapon, etc)
Good example of these new tags will be Star Wars mod and VRO mod, which bring new shields, weapons that are unique to certain factions/ships etc
I will check out the VRO to analyze the tag usage.

Thank you very much. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”