Xml entries and their function, some questions.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Xml entries and their function, some questions.

Post by Axeface » Mon, 23. Aug 21, 17:21

Im going to make this thread into a reference for what the xml component file entries do. Many are obvious but I think its worth noting.

I have some questions about ship component entries first however.
What do the following entries do?

con_playercontrol
con_pickuptarget
part_dummy_pickup
part_dummy_pickup01
anim_door_left_01
anim_door_right_01
con_storage01 << listed in macro, why does it need a position?
con_shipstorage_xs_01 << listed in macro, why does it need a position?

con_uianchor001 << The players camera position while flying is con_uianchor, why is there one for npc copilot?
con_tochair001 << Similar to players position when getting up from chair, yet doesnt seem to actually effect where npcs appear when getting up?

Secondly. Omni lights for anim_poslights. For vanilla ships these lights are listed, but turned off. I made some for my ship and they look awesome, but they go out of sync with the texture that creates the lens flare for each of the position lights. Has anyone had any success getting these to sync up properly? I assume this sync problem is the reason for them being commented out for vanilla ships?

Malchar
x4

Re: Xml entries and their function, some questions.

Post by Malchar » Wed, 25. Aug 21, 04:25

You will find anin_door_right or anim_door_left001 for exemple, only on ships who have door at right and or left. One exemple is the paranid corvette. On a miner argon solid you will find only anim_door_left because it have an entrence via left door, but have no right door.

I cant swear it, but it is common sense backed by search on a fair number of ships.

Position for storage ; it is just an opinion, but I feel It dont matter. I presume system expect we give it a position, so one is given even it is x0 y0 z0.

For shipstorage_xs, I not too sure, I may confuse with con_dock_xs or may the last shipstorage I saw had a dockingbay tags. I tend to think if the shipstorage_xs, it the place where drones are parked, position have no importance, at the inverse of con_dock _xs that may be the hatch from the drones enter or move out from the ship.

I hope activity on this post will attract attention from peoples more experienced than me.

aurumgallente
x4

Post by aurumgallente » Sun, 29. Aug 21, 06:31

con_playercontrol - don't remember
con_pickuptarget - don't know
part_dummy_pickup - don't know
part_dummy_pickup01 - don't know
anim_door_left_01 - ships with transporter have two sets of doors, one set of doors in cockpit, another set of doors leads to dockarea. Blender can't import these doors and transporters.
anim_door_right_01 - same
con_storage01 << listed in macro, why does it need a position? - because vanilla component files were not created manually, Egosoft has 3D Max plagin and it generates coordinates and quarterions literally for everything. You will find many things that don't matter or XR legacy.

con_uianchor001 << The players camera position while flying is con_uianchor, why is there one for npc copilot?
if Egosoft will allow player to be a copilot, it would be useful.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 30. Aug 21, 17:40

con_pickuptarget - IIRC this and con_pickup are for mining ships, they will not work without that connection as they will not be able to pickup asteroids that they break when controlled by AI
part_dummy_pickup - this supports the above thing and helps coordinate animation of the door for pickup, but I never tried to do that, I just remove taht dummy part and have con_pickup without any dummies, does the work i need even if there is no animation.
part_dummy_pickup01 - same
con_storage01 << listed in macro, why does it need a position? - in ship macro you have a storage macro that connects to that connection. Storage is treaded as separate object and can have different values and types of cargo and it just needs a connection on a ship to attach to, its more of a consistency/backend thing I assume. The only macro that is attached to ship that has no real connection for it are thrusters via "virtualmacro" and only they can be attached like that.
con_shipstorage_xs_01 << listed in macro, why does it need a position? - same as above, but ship can have numerous different shipstorages, M, S, L storage are all different objects and so ship needs those connections for each ship storage.

con_playercontrol - not 100% sure but i think it tells the ship that it can be controlled by player (and sets the camera position when controlled so?), for example Xenon ships do not have that connection as they cannot be controlled by player.

There are many other connections that are there for utility or backend purposes without clear indication, like the below:

Code: Select all

<connection name="container" tags="contents" value="0"/>
			<connection name="position" tags="position" value="1"/>

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”