Am I allowed to pay a commission for a mod.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

ChristopherS

Am I allowed to pay a commission for a mod.

Post by ChristopherS » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 20:23

So I'm really wanting a mod that I don't think exists, or if it does, is hidden to me. The thing is, I do not know how to make mods, I don't even know if this would be a script, or even what it would be called.

Through my ignorance, I am curious, am I allowed to ask to pay a donation to a mod maker to make my idea for me? I do not know if this is against any ToS surrounding this game, hence my question here.

I "think" it would be a simple mod, basically all it would be is making some extra ship mods, like for your shields, weapons, engines etc. I wouldn't be looking for someone to make every single modification idea that I have as I think I would be able to basically copy, edit, paste in any extra ideas that I had, but again, I am not even sure if this idea is possible to begin with, or I could be totally wrong and this could be the hardest mod to make hence why I can't find one.

Feel free to let me know if this is a stupid idea,
Christopher.
Thought provoking signature.

Christopher - Sometimes sarcastic, sometimes grumpy, always pedantic.

Falcrack
x4

Re: Am I allowed to pay a commission for a mod.

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 05:42

There are many ship mods and balance overhauls. What specific changes are you looking for? Maybe what you want already exists.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 21:49

Well I dont really think anyone could say anything about you paying someone for a service?
Ide pay for someone to update the import and export tools to also work with lights, cockpits, transporters, anchors and all the other trillions of things we have to manually sledgehammer into the game.

Manually positioning area and box lights on a ship for example.... holy ****.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 22:48

Like Pimp my ship?

It includes most of the (cheating) modification you could apply, are you looking for something other than these?

ChristopherS

Post by ChristopherS » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 12:14

Sorry on the delay replying to this. To further clarify as to what I was looking for. I was basically thinking about just some further ship modifications. I was looking for balanced ones, nothing cheaty, but at the same time I wasn't keen on using any of the overhaul mods as I use some ship addons that are not compatible.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I'd also be more than happy for the potential maker of a mod to upload this to Steam/Nexus, retain all rights, and have full ownership of it. My hopes would be that me and a mod maker could have a back and forth about my ideas and their suggestions. I'd basically just be happy to donate to the process and time spent. So it would be a commission, but in reality be a donation, if that makes sense. I'd also be happy for the maker to stick the on somewhere like Patreon to make a few extra pennies from it if they so choose.
Thought provoking signature.

Christopher - Sometimes sarcastic, sometimes grumpy, always pedantic.

zebai
x4

Post by zebai » Wed, 1. Sep 21, 06:57

I think I would donate to a mod that makes friendly fire impossible at the very least stop npc factions from destroying my ships because of stray weapons fire. I found a few out there but they all still allow it to happen just harder but it still happens in a large fight I don't really care if its cheaty I'm tired of it.

But bottom line its your money Egosoft can't stop you from paying someone to do something. They could stop you from commercializing it but not for hiring some labor for your own use.

A short edit, they most certainly could stop you from using this forum as a means of hiring said modder.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 1. Sep 21, 21:07

zebai wrote:
Wed, 1. Sep 21, 06:57
I think I would donate to a mod that makes friendly fire impossible at the very least stop npc factions from destroying my ships because of stray weapons fire. I found a few out there but they all still allow it to happen just harder but it still happens in a large fight I don't really care if its cheaty I'm tired of it.

But bottom line its your money Egosoft can't stop you from paying someone to do something. They could stop you from commercializing it but not for hiring some labor for your own use.

A short edit, they most certainly could stop you from using this forum as a means of hiring said modder.
Have you seen this mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/708

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”