[MOD] FOCW Corporations REVISED V.3.2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

sanas
x4

Re: [WIP/MOD] FOCW Corporations REVISED V.1.60

Post by sanas » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 22:03

Peanutcat wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 21:57
God this sounds epic. I'm so tempted to ditch my 200h save for this.
work with old save

Cedric_FP
x4

Post by Cedric_FP » Tue, 13. Apr 21, 00:17

BlackRain wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 14:21
Cedric_FP wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 10:04
I'm going to be adding this to a save that I'm about 60 hours into. Looking forward to seeing how it spices up the homogeneity of the faction sectors, as well as increasing the potential for conflict.
Let me know how it goes. Would like some feedback.
Will do! Is there anything specific you are looking to hear on?

Peanutcat
x4

Post by Peanutcat » Tue, 13. Apr 21, 00:57

sanas wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 22:03
Peanutcat wrote:
work with old save
Seriously?! Thanks, installing this right away.
F signature

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 13. Apr 21, 01:49

Peanutcat wrote:
Tue, 13. Apr 21, 00:57
sanas wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 22:03
Peanutcat wrote:
work with old save
Seriously?! Thanks, installing this right away.
Yes, this can be used any time, but once you put it in you can't just remove it. So make sure to back up save.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 13. Apr 21, 01:50

Cedric_FP wrote:
Tue, 13. Apr 21, 00:17
BlackRain wrote:
Cedric_FP wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 10:04
I'm going to be adding this to a save that I'm about 60 hours into. Looking forward to seeing how it spices up the homogeneity of the faction sectors, as well as increasing the potential for conflict.
Anything and everything. How are the Corporations doing? Do you notice them trading/fighting? Is the economy doing okay? Things like this.

Of course I notice these things myself but also good to hear more feedback. It is pretty cool when I see the corporations mercenary fleets sometimes working with some of the government factions against their enemies. Or when they help patrol or help take on Xenon and of course fight each other as well as trading.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 18:50

I am thinking of having all the corporation trade/mine ships they order go and work for their own stations rather than free traders. Maybe I will let them have a small amount of free traders once they are more established. Any thoughts on this?

sanas
x4

Post by sanas » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 20:28

We need trade subscription

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 20:30

sanas wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 20:28
We need trade subscription
Well, that would require adding in a faction representative and all that jazz. I don't have any plans of doing that. Also, I think it adds a little bit of exploration to the game as you don't know exactly where their stations might pop up but it does tell you what sector so you can look for them. I will consider it though.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 12:31

Hey man, I've just begun looking into this, so it will be a while before I can give you any reasonable hands on feedback, but I can already tell you that there's just too many corporations for my tastes (which adds to the reason why I probably won't be able to give you detailed feedback very soon: I'm really conficted and I don't think I'll want this in a real dedicated playthrough right now, and given it's the kind of mod that needs to run for days before you can have a real grasp of its balance... that complicates things).
Too many things that do the exact same... thing, just with different names and colors (kind of too many even to have really great color differentiation, I'd guess): it immediately strikes me as a case that would benefit from a massive dose of "less is more" course correction. It's kinda like having 20 variants of a mod ship that are pretty much the same except for the hull color: no point in all that bloat unless they actually offer different gameplay features.

Now, tastes are subjective, so I can't complain, but may I strongly suggest you, once the mod will be more feature complete, to make it so the max number of actual active corporations at any one time can be customized via a setup xml? I'd probably go for something like 8-10 in total, tops (and only because this would be needed to ensure diversity and have at least 1 corporation for each government faction: if you were to make it so they are more free to buy from everyone they have good standing with, so being more independent like the player is, I'd probably go for something like 4 corporations tops). That way I'd still have all the real gameplay features the mod strives to offer, without excessive fluff and the issues that can come with it (like logbook spam: 5 corporations with 30 stations each are gonna spam your logbook much less than 15 with 10 stations each, and hardly anything of *real* substance will change in how you are going to play and interact with them).

Another couple things that I noticed:

- Ships allowed to buy: for instance, you set up the Argon themed corps to buy from ARG/ANT/TEL. That's ok. What happens if I make Argon and Antigone go to trade war via the terran plot, though? As you included the diplo script, that kind of "unexpected" development compared to game start is to be considered even more likely to happen, so indeed corps could probably benefit from being more independently designed.

- Won't this conflict quite badly with your other Choose the race of your crew mod? The changes to characters.xml look to me they are gonna be incompatible.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 14:38

Kadatherion wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 12:31
Hey man, I've just begun looking into this, so it will be a while before I can give you any reasonable hands on feedback, but I can already tell you that there's just too many corporations for my tastes (which adds to the reason why I probably won't be able to give you detailed feedback very soon: I'm really conficted and I don't think I'll want this in a real dedicated playthrough right now, and given it's the kind of mod that needs to run for days before you can have a real grasp of its balance... that complicates things).
Too many things that do the exact same... thing, just with different names and colors (kind of too many even to have really great color differentiation, I'd guess): it immediately strikes me as a case that would benefit from a massive dose of "less is more" course correction. It's kinda like having 20 variants of a mod ship that are pretty much the same except for the hull color: no point in all that bloat unless they actually offer different gameplay features.

Now, tastes are subjective, so I can't complain, but may I strongly suggest you, once the mod will be more feature complete, to make it so the max number of actual active corporations at any one time can be customized via a setup xml? I'd probably go for something like 8-10 in total, tops (and only because this would be needed to ensure diversity and have at least 1 corporation for each government faction: if you were to make it so they are more free to buy from everyone they have good standing with, so being more independent like the player is, I'd probably go for something like 4 corporations tops). That way I'd still have all the real gameplay features the mod strives to offer, without excessive fluff and the issues that can come with it (like logbook spam: 5 corporations with 30 stations each are gonna spam your logbook much less than 15 with 10 stations each, and hardly anything of *real* substance will change in how you are going to play and interact with them).

- Ships allowed to buy: for instance, you set up the Argon themed corps to buy from ARG/ANT/TEL. That's ok. What happens if I make Argon and Antigone go to trade war via the terran plot, though? As you included the diplo script, that kind of "unexpected" development compared to game start is to be considered even more likely to happen, so indeed corps could probably benefit from being more independently designed.

- Won't this conflict quite badly with your other Choose the race of your crew mod? The changes to characters.xml look to me they are gonna be incompatible.
In some ways the corporations are the same, but in others not so much. For one, corporations have different allegiances. They do not all trade with every faction and corporations may even help their governments fight other governments, etc. Also, not all the corporations buy every kind of ship, etc. For example, Split corporations only buy split ships. Also, they don't all necessarily build every type of station. Teladianium will only be built by Teladi specific corporations, etc. I could probably code in a way to make it configurable, but that would take time.

There isn't that much spam of stuff in the logbook in my opinion. Especially when there isn't all that much considered to be "news" anyway. You can also occasionally just clear out the news area of the logbook. It may seem like a lot at first, but later it decreases. Anyway, if I do make it configurable it won't be any time soon.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:07

Kadatherion wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 12:31

I looked into this a little bit.

If you want less corporations, there is an easy way to do it.

Open up the corplogic.xml file in the md folder.

At the top you will see

Code: Select all

<cue name="activate_corps" instantiate="true" version="1">
          <conditions>
			<check_any>
			<event_cue_signalled cue="md.Setup.Start"/>
            <event_game_loaded/>	
			</check_any>
          </conditions>
          <actions>           
           <set_faction_active faction="faction.argonrefined" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.teladirefined" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.paranidrefined" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.holyorderrefined" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.antigonerefined" active="true"/>

<set_faction_active faction="faction.paranidship" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.holyordership" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.paranidagric" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.holyorderagric" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.paranidhigh" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.holyorderhigh" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.argonenergy" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.teladienergy" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.paranidenergy" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.holyorderenergy" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.antigoneenergy" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.argonmining" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.antigonemining" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.teladimining" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.paranidmining" active="true"/>
			<set_faction_active faction="faction.holyordermining" active="true"/>

</actions>         
        </cue>
Just comment out the factions you don't want. The only thing is that you may not know exactly which faction is which so you might need to do a little digging. Generally though, if it has argon, it is one of the argon corporations, teladi is one of the teladi ones, etc. The only difference is that the split and freesplit corporations use paranid and holyorder instead since I didn't feel like changing all the names lol. I think paranidhigh, paranidship and paranidagric are the split corporations and holyorderhigh, holyordership, holyorderagric are the free split ones. So what you could do, is comment out 2 for each of these and then you would have 1 corporation per faction. This would end up being 7 corporations. Or you could do whatever other combination you want.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 20:48

BlackRain wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:07

I looked into this a little bit.

If you want less corporations, there is an easy way to do it.
Oh, thanks a lot, that looks kinda perfect! I'll have to experiment a bit (gonna have to see also who has which color, so I can also choose based on that to have as much color differentiation as possible on the map), but it pretty much covers what I was going for. I do think that for a final version of the mod, the ability to simply set up how many concurrent active corps you want would be awesome (so that for instance you can choose 5, and those 5 would be taken randomly from the pool of ~20, that way nothing is really "disabled"), but at least for the time being this looks more than enough to let me tailor it more or less as I like :D

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:04

Another question, if I may: I'm also editing your characters.xml to tone down the skill levels back to vanilla balance. For the vanilla character entries I simply removed the replace lines (they only replace their main skill levels to the new 3-12 range you're using, so nothing else should be affected). On the top of the file there are some completely new entries though, for pilots and managers. They are named "rookies", so I'm tempted to change them to the same values their apparently corresponding vanilla entities would have (so, for instance, I would copy the values from vanilla fighter_argon_random_rookie onto your pilot_argon_random_rookie): is it gonna be fine? Where are they used specifically? I guess they are the part about being able to "recruit pilots and managers when building ships or refitting them", so that'd be fine with me. Wouldn't wanna to inadvertently nerf the corporations if they are supposed to use those higher skilled characters specifically for their assets, though.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:17

Kadatherion wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:04
Another question, if I may: I'm also editing your characters.xml to tone down the skill levels back to vanilla balance. For the vanilla character entries I simply removed the replace lines (they only replace their main skill levels to the new 3-12 range you're using, so nothing else should be affected). On the top of the file there are some completely new entries though, for pilots and managers. They are named "rookies", so I'm tempted to change them to the same values their apparently corresponding vanilla entities would have (so, for instance, I would copy the values from vanilla fighter_argon_random_rookie onto your pilot_argon_random_rookie): is it gonna be fine? Where are they used specifically? I guess they are the part about being able to "recruit pilots and managers when building ships or refitting them", so that'd be fine with me. Wouldn't wanna to inadvertently nerf the corporations if they are supposed to use those higher skilled characters specifically for their assets, though.
No, it is fine to put their skill to whatever

Cedric_FP
x4

Post by Cedric_FP » Mon, 26. Apr 21, 09:48

BlackRain wrote:
Tue, 13. Apr 21, 01:50
Cedric_FP wrote:
BlackRain wrote:

Anything and everything. How are the Corporations doing? Do you notice them trading/fighting? Is the economy doing okay? Things like this.

Of course I notice these things myself but also good to hear more feedback. It is pretty cool when I see the corporations mercenary fleets sometimes working with some of the government factions against their enemies. Or when they help patrol or help take on Xenon and of course fight each other as well as trading.
Sorry, this was a while ago. Anyway I've had some time to really get into my game since adding FOCW Corporations. I'll just list off a few thoughts in no particular order, not sure if they'll be helpful or of any value to you, but what the heck.

So first thing I enjoyed is the populating of corporations in my universe. Checking the faction relationships tab and seeing a whole bunch more was cool as hell, and made my universe immediately feel more alive. Since I am roleplaying as a Terran-Teladi-eff-everyone-else, it was nice seeing these new factions that I was neutral with and could decide how I wanted to act toward based on their names (inferring what factions they were related to or originated from).

I like the corporation news updates. While they are a little dryly written, it does make me feel like more is going on outside of what I'm immediately engaged with. This paired with galactic news network telling me about changes in demand of products is cool as hell and adds flavor. I find myself occasionally going to the logbook just to search corporation news to see who is doing what, even if at this stage of my playthrough, I still don't know who is exactly what or where.

Following on from that last sentence, I still don't know who is what or where. I don't have a sense of where these corporations exist yet, and can only infer based on name and my linking them to a race. In fairness I'm not sure if there is information on their specifics anywhere yet (like lore or home sector or what have you) and I haven't really looked as their existence hasn't yet impacted my playthrough in a way that compels me to search them out. I understand this may come across as me not putting in the effort or whatever, but it's more that I'm just reacting to the things I experience in my playthrough and I expect I'll want to learn more as I encounter them more soon.

I have come across a couple of corporations in my universal travels, but since I'm still basically locked to Terran space as I don't have the infrastructure to expand outward to commonwealth supply chains yet, my interaction has been few and far between. While this does have some realistic aspect to it (after all, the universe is a big place) I can't help but feel there are some missed opportunities for interaction here, though I expect that might be outside the scope of the mod. I think my feelings on this will probably change as I progress outward into the commonwealth and start to interact with the corporations more frequently.

As for trading, I can't say I've noticed much trading but I am quite secluded in my current save and haven't really expanded much yet. I have noticed some L miners quite often which I assume means their economies are working, which I like as they aid my piracy goals and I cap them whenever I see them. I guess this is hurting that specific corporation's growth and ultimately slowing the corporations' impact on the universe, but stuff it, I love me some free L miners. They often have quite low crew and no weapons in their turret spots which seems weird as I can just load up 30 marines and wait 20 minutes for a guaranteed cap. Not sure if you can adjust that? Mind you i'm also playing with VRO / FE all modules / XR Ships Pack / Ship Variety / Ossian Raider / Deadair AI and a whole bunch of other mods so not sure if that is interacting at all with FOCW Corporations.

Lastly, war. I haven't really noticed any factions fighting each other in part because I haven't really noticed them as I trundle through my section of the universe. I'm currently locked in a battle for savage spur 2 so I haven't even left the sector in a while. But at one point I did notice during a xenon invasion of Teladi space a corporation helping to fight them off (I think, anyway). That was cool, but I just flew past the whole thing as I didn't want to get blown up.

So, in conclusion during my limited testing, it's been a nice spice of life added to the universe, though it's tangible impact on my actual current playthrough has been, at least at this stage, relatively minor. As a detail in the universe I already like it a lot, but I presume as I continue onward and expand, I'll come into more contact with these corporations and they'll open up new trade opportunities so that I might "feel" their existence more.

Anyway, nice job! Appreciate the hard work, of yourself and all modders who take the time to build these things. It's extremely impressive.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 26. Apr 21, 14:25

Cedric_FP wrote:
Mon, 26. Apr 21, 09:48
BlackRain wrote:
Tue, 13. Apr 21, 01:50
Cedric_FP wrote:

Sorry, this was a while ago. Anyway I've had some time to really get into my game since adding FOCW Corporations. I'll just list off a few thoughts in no particular order, not sure if they'll be helpful or of any value to you, but what the heck.

So first thing I enjoyed is the populating of corporations in my universe. Checking the faction relationships tab and seeing a whole bunch more was cool as hell, and made my universe immediately feel more alive. Since I am roleplaying as a Terran-Teladi-eff-everyone-else, it was nice seeing these new factions that I was neutral with and could decide how I wanted to act toward based on their names (inferring what factions they were related to or originated from).

I like the corporation news updates. While they are a little dryly written, it does make me feel like more is going on outside of what I'm immediately engaged with. This paired with galactic news network telling me about changes in demand of products is cool as hell and adds flavor. I find myself occasionally going to the logbook just to search corporation news to see who is doing what, even if at this stage of my playthrough, I still don't know who is exactly what or where.

Following on from that last sentence, I still don't know who is what or where. I don't have a sense of where these corporations exist yet, and can only infer based on name and my linking them to a race. In fairness I'm not sure if there is information on their specifics anywhere yet (like lore or home sector or what have you) and I haven't really looked as their existence hasn't yet impacted my playthrough in a way that compels me to search them out. I understand this may come across as me not putting in the effort or whatever, but it's more that I'm just reacting to the things I experience in my playthrough and I expect I'll want to learn more as I encounter them more soon.

I have come across a couple of corporations in my universal travels, but since I'm still basically locked to Terran space as I don't have the infrastructure to expand outward to commonwealth supply chains yet, my interaction has been few and far between. While this does have some realistic aspect to it (after all, the universe is a big place) I can't help but feel there are some missed opportunities for interaction here, though I expect that might be outside the scope of the mod. I think my feelings on this will probably change as I progress outward into the commonwealth and start to interact with the corporations more frequently.

As for trading, I can't say I've noticed much trading but I am quite secluded in my current save and haven't really expanded much yet. I have noticed some L miners quite often which I assume means their economies are working, which I like as they aid my piracy goals and I cap them whenever I see them. I guess this is hurting that specific corporation's growth and ultimately slowing the corporations' impact on the universe, but stuff it, I love me some free L miners. They often have quite low crew and no weapons in their turret spots which seems weird as I can just load up 30 marines and wait 20 minutes for a guaranteed cap. Not sure if you can adjust that? Mind you i'm also playing with VRO / FE all modules / XR Ships Pack / Ship Variety / Ossian Raider / Deadair AI and a whole bunch of other mods so not sure if that is interacting at all with FOCW Corporations.

Lastly, war. I haven't really noticed any factions fighting each other in part because I haven't really noticed them as I trundle through my section of the universe. I'm currently locked in a battle for savage spur 2 so I haven't even left the sector in a while. But at one point I did notice during a xenon invasion of Teladi space a corporation helping to fight them off (I think, anyway). That was cool, but I just flew past the whole thing as I didn't want to get blown up.

So, in conclusion during my limited testing, it's been a nice spice of life added to the universe, though it's tangible impact on my actual current playthrough has been, at least at this stage, relatively minor. As a detail in the universe I already like it a lot, but I presume as I continue onward and expand, I'll come into more contact with these corporations and they'll open up new trade opportunities so that I might "feel" their existence more.

Anyway, nice job! Appreciate the hard work, of yourself and all modders who take the time to build these things. It's extremely impressive.
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Maybe you missed it, but every time a corporation builds a factory it lets you know what sector they built the factory in. This gives you an idea of where they are. You will definitely begin to notice them more as they get larger. It takes time for that to happen though.

SunGod1
x4

Post by SunGod1 » Mon, 26. Apr 21, 23:15

I am running this mod right now.... and so far so good. I also have the reactive factions mod running so... lets see if things get dicey in the mid game.
Travel Drive Charge Time is absolutely @player_frustration +1

Gen.d.Pz.Tr.Seb
x4

Post by Gen.d.Pz.Tr.Seb » Wed, 5. May 21, 11:05

Corporations count as factions, or do they somehow work under their original governments? I.e. do they have that whole relationship/standing thing factions have? And if I am at war with one corporation it will not draw its parent government into the conflict? Guess that would also make them eligible for DeadAirs dynamic wars mod.

edit: ok, so it seems they are their own factions; but I'd still like to now if I can e.g. have a war with them and then somehow got back to peace without editing my savegame. And do they build in my sectors? I like to keep those 'clean'.
Last edited by Gen.d.Pz.Tr.Seb on Wed, 5. May 21, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Iucundi acti labores

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 5. May 21, 14:20

Gen.d.Pz.Tr.Seb wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 11:05
Corporations count as factions, or do they somehow work under their original governments? I.e. do they have that whole relationship/standing thing factions have? And if I am at war with one corporation it will not draw its parent government into the conflict? Guess that would also make them eligible for DeadAirs dynamic wars mod.
They are their own factions, however, they have different relations with the governments depending on the corporation. They will not be affected by DeadAirs dynamic wars by the way that is because they have a tag which is excluded by DeadAir's mod. I already have something which has them change relations with each other randomly.

Now, if you attack corporation ships or stations in a sector where there is law enforcement then it may hurt your relationship with whatever faction is the law there I guess. They will report you I guess. I don't know of any way to get around this.

Gen.d.Pz.Tr.Seb
x4

Post by Gen.d.Pz.Tr.Seb » Wed, 5. May 21, 18:07

Really? Would have thought that being in a separate faction would only decrease relationship with that faction. How does the ai get around this? Or does it just not care? Do the corporations build in player owned sectors? Because that is actually something I don't want, trying to keep them nice and orderly.
Iucundi acti labores

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”