I love mining crystals. I enjoy hunting through asteroid fields and eventually stumbling on that big payday. But in vanilla, crystals' little blinking lights are a pain to spot for my old-man eyes. Then with the introduction of a "cooldown" on crystals spawning in 3.0, crystal mining became extremely un-fun.
With that in mind, I set out to make mining crystals great again.
NOTE/WARNING: This mod could definitely be considered "cheat-y" or unbalanced. I originally created it because I enjoy hunting for crystals and hate the early-game credit grind and thought others might be looking for something similar. If people want a "hard" version I'm definitely open to making one.
+ Changes the color of crystals to the following:
- Bandannite - Very common - White
- Menelaene - Common - Green
- Aguilite - Rare - Blue
- Mitonene - "Epic" - Purple
- Burnite - "Legendary" - Orange
+ Removes the "cooldown" on picking up crystals:
- Previously, when you picked up one of the rarer crystals (anything except Bandannite), it imposed a multi-minute timer where nothing else could spawn. This turned "hunting for crystals", into "waiting for crystals to respawn". To remedy this, the cooldown on all crystal pickups was completely removed.
- Now you'll mostly find the White Bandannite crystals when in non-hazardous, faction space
- Increased crystal spawn rate, as well as more frequent rare crystals in hazardous regions and Xenon space
- Spawns are now defined on a per-Sector basis (this means I can buff/nerf crystal spawns of particular sectors without affecting the rest!)
- Spawn CHANCES are based heavily on how big an asteroid is (larger asteroids have a higher chance of spawning a crystal)
- Overall spawn CHANCE favors Sectors with big asteroids
- Spawns no longer based on who owns a Sector (so taking over a Xenon Sector won't suddenly change what crystals spawn there)
- Will conflict with mods that change crystal spawn rules (objectspawnrules.xml)
- Will conflict with mods that change crystal colors
- Will conflict with Crystal Finder
To install, unzip the archive and place it in your "X4Foundations/Extensions" folder
To UNinstall, just delete the folder "Crystal_Rarities"
- Thanks to Shuruna and their Crystal Finder mod, which gave me the base/inspiration for mine.
- Thanks to everyone on the Egosoft Forums and Egosoft Discord for all the knowledge they imparted on me.
<No BETA currently in progress>
- Slight increase to range glow can be seen
- Slight increase to intensity of glow
- Complete re-write of crystal spawns. They are based loosely on asteroid size/density, but are on a per-sector basis (this means I can tweak sectors individually). Currently SUPPORTS Split Vendetta sectors, but they do not have their own custom rules at the moment.
- Another update to the intensity of the glows on the crystals in an attempt to make them less harsh
- some tweaks to hopefully reduce color distortion as well
- Attempted to dial down the intensity to reduce glare on the screen/cockpit
- removed save requirement from mod (it is safe to remove from / add to a save at any point)
- added support for Steam Workshop (changed mod ID and moved loose files to ext_01 cat/dat)
- initial release