[Tool] X4 Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DeadlyDa
x4

Re: [Tool] X4 Editor

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 07:59

The files are available again on Nexus, and the tweak to the search function in 1.1.4 is really handy.

Great tool...many thanks!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 08:04

Has there been any update for the new expansion?

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 19:33

apricotslice wrote:
Fri, 26. Mar 21, 08:04
Has there been any update for the new expansion?
This mod is independant from any dlcs because a dlc is technically just a mod made by Egosoft

1.0.5 changes:
  • fixed some files would be written if no change was made
  • added price column to shields, weapons, ships, missiles and engines
  • fixed shields, turrets and weapons numbers listed for ships not working on some mods/dlcs
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

hacd89

Post by hacd89 » Tue, 13. Apr 21, 23:15

i follow all the steps edit values and when start the game again nothing change please maybe you can do a video a image value more then a thousand of words

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 08:22

hacd89 wrote:
Tue, 13. Apr 21, 23:15
i follow all the steps edit values and when start the game again nothing change please maybe you can do a video a image value more then a thousand of words
Are u using other mods which are loaded after your mod and maybe override your changes?
What values have you changed?
Is the mod active in the extensions options in x4?

A video would be nice and I have thought about that already. Just so many other things to do....
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

daBeschi
x4

Post by daBeschi » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 10:50

Hello,

Used your program to compare and balance some of my dirty xml modifications and found one interesting bug. It seems the battleships are shown with double the turrets and XL shields they really have. Raptor seems fine, but terran battleship is shown wrong. Maybe I messed up something while at some other XL ships turret and shield date are missing.
But all in all it's a very useful tool! Thanks for the work you put into all your MOD's!

Greetings

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 17:18

daBeschi wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 10:50
Hello,

Used your program to compare and balance some of my dirty xml modifications and found one interesting bug. It seems the battleships are shown with double the turrets and XL shields they really have. Raptor seems fine, but terran battleship is shown wrong. Maybe I messed up something while at some other XL ships turret and shield date are missing.
But all in all it's a very useful tool! Thanks for the work you put into all your MOD's!

Greetings
On my end, it shows only the correct numbers.

But I know that my tool is not 100% bugfree and maybe never will be. There are simply too many ways people can modify their data.
Try to read only vanilla and terran dlc and the numbers should be correct.

daBeschi
x4

Post by daBeschi » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 17:46

Hello,

I tried your advice twice :D
If COH is selected as base MOD it works (shows still "no name" on some terran ships). Before it was selected on MOD 4 or 5 and had the issue.
I also checked with my dirty MOD and if selected as MOD 1 with no other MODs selected, then it also works. Who knows :roll:

From my side there is no need for a fix. Just reporting.

Keep up the good work!

Greetings

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 17:53

daBeschi wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 17:46
Hello,

I tried your advice twice :D
If COH is selected as base MOD it works (shows still "no name" on some terran ships). Before it was selected on MOD 4 or 5 and had the issue.
I also checked with my dirty MOD and if selected as MOD 1 with no other MODs selected, then it also works. Who knows :roll:

From my side there is no need for a fix. Just reporting.

Keep up the good work!

Greetings
I dont know what you are doing in your mods, but on my end it works even if I have 5 mods + vanilla in the list.
Always try to use the correct order, so Vanilla as base mod and then the DLCs and then your mods. But sure, there might still be a bug (I mean I just fixed the bug that terran dlc was completely ignored in the shields and weapons column).
But I only put time into this tool when I am in the right mood... :D

JonnyRocket72
x4

Post by JonnyRocket72 » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 03:04

Can you edit savegames with this? ie add $, and change reputations?

ravayen
x4

Post by ravayen » Fri, 7. May 21, 00:19

Would you consider adding the jobs xml to this at all?
'Coming like a train baby'
'Choo choo'

StopBanningMe7_III
x4

Post by StopBanningMe7_III » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 09:13

So... It's been 18 months since I last asked. I figure it's not impolite to ask again. Is the source code for this mod available?

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 11:14

StopBanningMe7_III wrote:
Fri, 18. Jun 21, 09:13
So... It's been 18 months since I last asked. I figure it's not impolite to ask again. Is the source code for this mod available?
Sorry, I missed your response :(. I will PM you a link, but I can not give you support on this and therefore I dont want to post the link public.
Be warned, some code is very bad, especially because I just started to learn xml reading and writing.

If you made some cool improvements and you want them to be in the official version, you can send them to me, but no guarantee or time frame when I will include them.

illinaru
x3ap

Post by illinaru » Mon, 6. Dec 21, 18:00

Hi, when i export, all my modification have decimals and i can't re-import it because of it.

WintermuteX
x4

Post by WintermuteX » Sun, 24. Apr 22, 13:56

There seems to be a problem with the new DLC: after I extracted the maingame and all 3 DLCs (in the right order, sorted by release date) the editor crashes when I click on "Read Vanilla", when I click on "Read All" I at least get an error message:

"Failed to read <path to extracted files>. Reason: Error reading wares.xml: Die Eingabezeichenfolge hat das falsche Format. weapon_gen_s_torpedo_01_mk2"

weapon_gen_s_torpedo_01_mk2 looks fine to me in wares.xml, but as it is the last entry in the file I guess it simply stops there but is not the reason for the error in the first place.

Also I have the same problem as someone else on the thread: I create a mod and it doesn't change anything in the game.

EDIT: I modified a Terran ship and I didn't get the path of my mod right. For anyone having such issues -> extensions\<your mod folder>\extensions\ego_dlc_terran\assets
So you need an "extensions" folder inside your mod folder and in it the DLC path your modified files are sourced from.
Egosoft - known for self righteous and arrogant forum moderation on all platforms. :)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Fri, 29. Apr 22, 13:16

If possible, add languages to generate the full content.xml

Code: Select all

<text language="7" name="mod" description="mod" /> 
  <text language="33" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="34" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="39" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="44" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="45" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="49" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="81" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="82" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="86" name="mod" description="mod"/>
  <text language="88" name="mod" description="mod"/>

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 06:57

Hello. Im looking for a way to have extreme speed so that i can explore around planets and stars, and i was wondering how/if this editor can help, i was looking at the numbers, however i dont know what to change, it wasnt obvious to me what number represents engine speed.
Credence follow stars.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 08:18

PhotonPulse wrote:
Wed, 31. Aug 22, 06:57
Hello. Im looking for a way to have extreme speed so that i can explore around planets and stars, and i was wondering how/if this editor can help, i was looking at the numbers, however i dont know what to change, it wasnt obvious to me what number represents engine speed.
There isn't one number.

Speed is a function of mass, and then all the constraints on that mass.

The thing to do is look at the variables for an m5, and compare them with an M2.

You'll find all the numbers for the M2 are significantly bigger.

But if you were put the numbers for an M5 in place of the numbers for the M2, the M2 is suddenly as fast as the M5. Or even faster.

My preferred destroyer has a 2500 main speed. And it's just by plugging in M5 variables, and lowing the mass to M5 mass.

It makes no sense to the game itself, but I called them "custom modifications".

The game itself will use whatever you change, so make sure your super fast ship isn't what you'd normally be fighting.

The other thing is though, the game can't use speed properly on a capital ship. They move so fast they can't land a shot when you're in system. OS though they can be lethal.

You can check what I did in my mod if you're not sure what to change. Or grab the diff file out of mine for the M2, and use that as a guide for doing yours.

I'm like you, in so far as I don't like faffing about when I have somewhere to go. I've been playing since X2, and speed is the first thing I mod in any new game.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 13:21

apricotslice wrote:
Wed, 31. Aug 22, 08:18
PhotonPulse wrote:
Wed, 31. Aug 22, 06:57
There isn't one number.

Speed is a function of mass, and then all the constraints on that mass.

The thing to do is look at the variables for an m5, and compare them with an M2.

You'll find all the numbers for the M2 are significantly bigger.

But if you were put the numbers for an M5 in place of the numbers for the M2, the M2 is suddenly as fast as the M5. Or even faster.

My preferred destroyer has a 2500 main speed. And it's just by plugging in M5 variables, and lowing the mass to M5 mass.

It makes no sense to the game itself, but I called them "custom modifications".

The game itself will use whatever you change, so make sure your super fast ship isn't what you'd normally be fighting.

The other thing is though, the game can't use speed properly on a capital ship. They move so fast they can't land a shot when you're in system. OS though they can be lethal.

You can check what I did in my mod if you're not sure what to change. Or grab the diff file out of mine for the M2, and use that as a guide for doing yours.

I'm like you, in so far as I don't like faffing about when I have somewhere to go. I've been playing since X2, and speed is the first thing I mod in any new game.
I figured it out and finnaly got to see the scale of the sectors, illusion broken, however with over 2000 hours in game i felt like i had to see what was beyond where the ships could go at normal speeds.
Credence follow stars.

O'Shavah
x3ap

Post by O'Shavah » Thu, 29. Dec 22, 21:00

how do i get XR catalog tool to extract the files if i don't own XRebirth? is there a work around?
Edit: it's available through steam even if you don't have X Rebirth

new question:
by data do you mean just all .cat files or eeevvverrryyyything? even the XX_sig.cat files? what about XML files?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”