[Tool] X4 Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Realspace
x4

Re: [Tool] X4 Editor

Post by Realspace » Fri, 15. Jan 21, 22:05

Any chance you add the inertia/strafe values?

I've not looked into the files yet, last time I edited those was in Rebirth.

It was easier since you could add inertia to player's ship only to avoid AI going crazy.

Does it use a direct parameter as strafe (Rebirth) or indirect such as mass (Freelancer)? Thank you! :wink:

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 15. Jan 21, 22:10

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 15. Jan 21, 22:05

It was easier since you could add inertia to player's ship only to avoid AI going crazy.

Does it use a direct parameter as strafe (Rebirth) or indirect such as mass (Freelancer)? Thank you! :wink:
I think X4 uses mass and that is in the X4 Editor as well as strafe values for horizontal/vertical direction. Or what are you missing?
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 15. Jan 21, 22:27

Max Bain wrote:
Fri, 15. Jan 21, 22:10
Realspace wrote:

I think X4 uses mass and that is in the X4 Editor as well as strafe values for horizontal/vertical direction. Or what are you missing?
Great, must take a look and try. I don't aim at 100% newtonian but so as are now ships seem to travel inside a glue :D

Osbot
x4

Post by Osbot » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 20:50

Max Bain wrote:
Realspace wrote:

I believe there are horizontal, vertical, forward and reverse drag values.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:14

Osbot wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 20:50
Max Bain wrote:
Realspace wrote:

I believe there are horizontal, vertical, forward and reverse drag values.
I just checked the Editor (havent played with the values you are talking about much yet). You can find some innertia values in the ship files and these are all represented in the Editor.
For example:

Code: Select all

<physics mass="32.5">
        <inertia pitch="12.6" yaw="12.6" roll="12.6" />
        <drag forward="4.9" reverse="21.8" horizontal="18" vertical="18" pitch="14.4" yaw="14.4" roll="14.4" />
      </physics>
These are for each ship InPitch, InYaw, inRoll and Pitch, Yaw, Roll, Forward, Reverse, Horizontal, vertical.
Additionally the engines/thrusters have their forward, reverse, strafe, yaw, pitch and roll values and some more.

But dont ask me in detail what each value is for. I hope that helps.
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Osbot
x4

Post by Osbot » Wed, 27. Jan 21, 03:45

The drag values set the maximum speed of the ship. If you say, wanted to make ships go faster forwards, you'd lower the drag. Likewise for strafing up/down/left/right and backwards.

Specifically, speed is defined by number of drives X thrust / drag. So drag is the constant variable. So you can increase speed by increasing the thrust of engines as well.

PetitViet
x4

Post by PetitViet » Sat, 20. Mar 21, 20:47

où trouves tu l'extracteur xr d'egosoft s'il te plait ?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 20. Mar 21, 23:16

So...

The 1.1.3 (and 1.1.2) downloads on Nexus are not available.

"This file has been quarantined and may be unsafe. Please contact a moderator or email us."
Is there a site with a working version, or is it truly broke?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 14:30

Greetings. I can't download the latest version of the tool. Provide a link to Google Drive please, if possible.

:gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel:

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 17:03

Hi,

I just tested it and I was able to download the tool without a problem from nexus. Whats the problem?
I uploaded it as a .7z file, so you need to extract it with 7z tool (its free).

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 17:56

Osbot wrote:
Wed, 27. Jan 21, 03:45
The drag values set the maximum speed of the ship. If you say, wanted to make ships go faster forwards, you'd lower the drag. Likewise for strafing up/down/left/right and backwards.

Specifically, speed is defined by number of drives X thrust / drag. So drag is the constant variable. So you can increase speed by increasing the thrust of engines as well.
Pretty sure it also influences the deceleration once you stop applying thrust in addition to the max speed.

VRO tends to reduce drag factors a lot and it's fairly clear when trying to fly in flight assist off since the lower drag makes it much harder to arrest yourself with maneuvering thrusters alone if you boost then turn.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 19:48

Max Bain wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 17:03
Hi,

I just tested it and I was able to download the tool without a problem from nexus. Whats the problem?
Now everything is working, but 3 days ago, I checked it before work, the files were marked as with a virus. Now everything is fine and it is possible to download the mod.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 22:34

alexalsp wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 19:48
Max Bain wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 17:03
Hi,

Now everything is working, but 3 days ago, I checked it before work, the files were marked as with a virus. Now everything is fine and it is possible to download the mod.
Yes thats why I packed it as a .7z file. I also uploaded a new version.

You can now filter words out if you type "-" in front of it. For example if you want only want things from all races except argons type "-arg". You can also combine it with other words like "-arg weapon" will show only weapons of all races except argons (if you have set the show weapons flag on top)

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 22:36

Max Bain wrote:
Fri, 3. Jan 20, 23:00
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 508367.png

X4 Editor

Main purpose of this tool
To make modding and especially balancing easier. So maybe even Egosoft might benefit from this tool by discovering some hidden balance issues. But apart from that I believe that X4 will become an epic game, especially because of the moddability this game offers. So the more modders we can get into X4, the faster X4 will evolve and we all will profit.

Short description:
The X4 Editor shows many values of different items and entities in game. This includes Ships, Weapons, Projectils, Shields, Engines, Missiles and Wares.
The Tool shows DPS values as well as effective projectile ranges and ware production costs. It can also export changes made to the items into a separate mod.

WARNING:
Rule number 1: Before you use this tool, be sure to have a BACKUP of your mods you want to open in the Editor. I am not responsible for any data loss due to bugs or wrong usage of the tool.

Precondition:
Extract all X4 and Mod Data you want to use so the X4 Editor can read the files.

How to use:
  • 1. Set the vanilla folder path to the folder where you extracted the X4 vanilla data into. Then click on Read Vanilla. This will show you all vanilla data for the specified tables.
  • 2. Set Mod folders. The tool supports an optional base mod and an active mod to be loaded into the editor. First enter the base mod path if needed and then your active mod path. Both is optional, but the base mod path can not be the export path.
  • 3. Edit or just compare the values in the tables.
  • 4. If you want to export your changes, set the export path the folder of your mod. This must be the active mod folder or a totally new folder.
Features:

• The X4 Editor shows most (not all) values for Ships, Weapons, Projectiles, Missiles, Shields, Engines and Wares in a compact and simply to compare view
  • Additionally the tool shows calculated values like DPS, DPS to shield, effective projectile range, production costs and margin of wares
  • For ships it shows the number of shields, turrets and weapons slots mountable on the ship
  • The tool makes it simple to find the values of a specific item by showing in game names if accessible (the 0001.xml file will be parsed and needs to be inside the "t" folder)
  • It offers several filter options to search specific items including item size or the option to filter for words in the name or ID of the items
  • The separate wares window can be set to show only the wares related to the filtered items of the main window
  • Mass edition/calculation over multiple selected cells is possible
  • Right click opens the related xml file in the oposite order of the loaded mods. So if the item you right click on was edited by the Active Mod, then this item xml file will be opened. If Active Mod has not changed the item at all but the BAse Mod did, then the file of Base Mod will be opened. If neither of these mods has edited the item, then the vanilla file will be opened.
  • Double Click on a weapon/turret filters the related projectil
  • Double Click on a projectile filters the related Turret/weapon
  • The X4 Editor saves your path and filter settings in a config file to make it as easy as possible to use
  • If no content.xml file in your export folder exists, the tool will generate a default one

If you only want to compare and check different values of several items of vanilla X4 and mods, there is no danger in using this mod. It is the perfect tool for you!
You can skip the next part.
If you want to create a mod based on other mods or vanilla X4 and this mod does not exist yet, there should not be any problem. Simply put a new export folder path and thats it.
You can also skip the next part.

If you have a mod with new content as active mod or export folder, then you should read the next section carefully!

Known Problems/Dangers

The mod will only create diff files with changed parameters of the file in that session. Only changes compared to the VANILLA and BASE MOD files will be written. For example I changed the rotationspeed and rotationacceleration of the shotgun in the editor. This will result in the creation of the xml file turret_arg_m_shotgun_01_mk1_macro.xml including following lines.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<diff> 
<replace sel="//macros/macro/properties/rotationspeed/@max">200.00</replace>
<replace sel="//macros/macro/properties/rotationacceleration/@max">2.00</replace>
</diff> 
When I close and open the editor again and just change reloadtime to 2, the export will create the following xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<diff> 
	<replace sel="//macros/macro/properties/rotationspeed/@max">200.00</replace>
	<replace sel="//macros/macro/properties/rotationacceleration/@max">2.00</replace>
	<replace sel="//macros/macro/properties/reload/@time">2.00</replace>
</diff> 
Export path same as active mod path problem!
If you have already created a mod that adds new content like weapons, shields or ships and you set the export path to this mod because you want to edit your mod, the X4 editor will not check that the new content is new. Lets say you added a ship file for a new ship and load the mod in X4 Editor. If you dont edit any property of the ship and export the mod, then you dont have any problems because the file will not be written. But if you edit a property like hull value of that new ship and export the mod this will result in a similar file as you see above with just the hull value changed. The old xml file including all other values is then totally overwritten and destroyed! Therefore...

=> Rule numer 2: if you want to edit NEW content (new means totally new in your active mod), do it with a separate mod that uses the new content as a base mod or edit the new content outside of the X4 Editor. Simply right click on the item and the xml file will be opened. Be careful to reload the mod after this if you want to see the changes made outside the tool because all other not exported changes are gone then.

Not 100% tested!
During the long developement of the tool, I found several hundreds of bugs that I all could fix, but that shows that there might be more hidden. So always keep a copy of you mod you are writing into, especially if you have a big one. Errors might appear to a later time, even when the mod seems to tun flawlessly.

Download link on Nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/388/

Changelog:

• Fixed some wares from mods couldnt be read
  • Added "-" filter option. Type "-" in front of a search string and the tool will filter these words out
  • Fixed typos in content.xml
  • Changed default version output for content.xml to 001 instead of 100
  • Subfolders will now only be created if necessary
  • Subfolders for base mod files will now be created as well, so changes made on new content of base mod will be applied into the game
  • Changed defaul mod name in content xml to "ZZ_" + mod folder name so the mod should be loaded as last mod
Bugs reports and feedback welcome!

And now.. happy modding!

====================== Pictures below ======================

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 222533.png

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 088655.png

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 271383.png

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 464484.png

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 523624.png

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 437998.png
Last edited by Terre on Thu, 25. Mar 21, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 05:26

Excellent, thank you keep it up.

:wink:

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 07:59

The files are available again on Nexus, and the tweak to the search function in 1.1.4 is really handy.

Great tool...many thanks!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 08:04

Has there been any update for the new expansion?

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 19:33

apricotslice wrote:
Fri, 26. Mar 21, 08:04
Has there been any update for the new expansion?
This mod is independant from any dlcs because a dlc is technically just a mod made by Egosoft

1.0.5 changes:
  • fixed some files would be written if no change was made
  • added price column to shields, weapons, ships, missiles and engines
  • fixed shields, turrets and weapons numbers listed for ships not working on some mods/dlcs

hacd89

Post by hacd89 » Tue, 13. Apr 21, 23:15

i follow all the steps edit values and when start the game again nothing change please maybe you can do a video a image value more then a thousand of words

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 08:22

hacd89 wrote:
Tue, 13. Apr 21, 23:15
i follow all the steps edit values and when start the game again nothing change please maybe you can do a video a image value more then a thousand of words
Are u using other mods which are loaded after your mod and maybe override your changes?
What values have you changed?
Is the mod active in the extensions options in x4?

A video would be nice and I have thought about that already. Just so many other things to do....

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”