[Request] Can anyone fix the FireFXMod?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Angsaar
x4

Re: [Request] Can anyone fix the FireFXMod?

Post by Angsaar » Sat, 14. Dec 19, 15:59

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 14. Dec 19, 10:12
Works like a dream :).

Btw something that would be a cool addition would be when ships would start with some minor explosions when the Hull got really damaged. So lets say when you have 25% Hull, some small explosions appear and maybe some more at 10% before the final explosion appears at 0%. But I think this is more for the XR Effects mod?
Great to hear!

I'm not sure how main body pre-destruction effects could be implemented, but it's possible something with 3.0b could be used if the new random small explosions can be triggered sooner. I'll check if the damage effect system can be extrapolated beyond surface components, they do have multiple stages of damage effects (something like 50%/30%/15%) but their hp is so miserably low that the first two just don't have time to trigger. It should be [grey smoke>dark smoke>dark smoke + fire] I think.

Edit: I tested one of these new small explosions with the surface components but their height needs to be adjusted or most of the effect happens below the hull (the smoke and fire currently start below the actual model too)

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Tue, 17. Dec 19, 19:54

the effects stay after the ship is destroyed, ex a K, his XL shield surface elements still give those flames on wrecks

and they look awfull :D, maybe less upscale?
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Angsaar
x4

Post by Angsaar » Wed, 18. Dec 19, 00:25

Buzz2005 wrote:
Tue, 17. Dec 19, 19:54
the effects stay after the ship is destroyed, ex a K, his XL shield surface elements still give those flames on wrecks

and they look awfull :D, maybe less upscale?
I might have increased fx times at some point during testing and forgotten about it, my bad!

The ugliness I think it's not a texture up-scaling issue because it was there as soon as I restored the effect, before I even found where the textures were, it was just as ugly but in lower resolution :roll:

Some things didn't fit well in the porting (new model sizes for some surface components might be a part of it and related unused X4 textures were missing pixels and other such "damage" compared to their XR counterparts) so they'll need fixing at some point, but the frequent patching and news they were working on new FX didn't really encourage me working further on re-scaling and re-texturing what could change overnight.

That and I'm a lazy person. :P

Edit: And current release is just a quick and dirty edit for compatibility removing a bunch of things I changed, lacks a couple of fixes too

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 18. Dec 19, 09:04

Can we expect a fix before christmas? :P

Or can you tell us what we need to change?
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Angsaar
x4

Post by Angsaar » Wed, 18. Dec 19, 17:10

Max Bain wrote:
Wed, 18. Dec 19, 09:04
Can we expect a fix before christmas? :P

Or can you tell us what we need to change?
The effect time and scale is really easy, just nine effects:

On 'firefx_mod\libraries\effects.xml' replace each duration="time-in-seconds" and minscale="X.0" maxscale="X.0" by something you find sensible. If you can share what values looked good I'll be very grateful!

Many components I haven't been able to test yet to get a one-size-fits-all for every effect, with original XR values some effects look gargantuan (sefx_damage_s I've used used for M components, sefx_damage_m for L components and sefx_damage_L for XL components, still looked big. XL effects might need replacement to look good)

If you can set up a couple of screenshots of the most offending effects with a few thoughts on what could be improved (texture/scale/etc) on something like imgur or Steam I'll try making a quick fix re-scaling or re-texturing today/tomorrow.

The main update might take a few more days for me to make sure is working fine, it has significant code and ID changes and very prone to mistakes on my part (I have an elderly lady to care for and a nephew over on holiday, it's been kind of hard to keep track of all the bits and pieces to write on one go) but I'll see about getting a beta up if you'd like to check it out, certainly before christmas.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 24. Dec 19, 01:08

So how is progress going? :)
I am very interested in this mod especially if you can magically add explosion effects if the ship hull is really damaged (50%, 30% 15%). Would be awesome!

Wasn't able to fix the mod myself because I am very buisy with my own mod (working on 2 at the same time).

A beta would be very much appreciated!
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Angsaar
x4

Post by Angsaar » Thu, 26. Dec 19, 03:12

Max Bain wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 01:08
So how is progress going? :)
I am very interested in this mod especially if you can magically add explosion effects if the ship hull is really damaged (50%, 30% 15%). Would be awesome!

Wasn't able to fix the mod myself because I am very buisy with my own mod (working on 2 at the same time).

A beta would be very much appreciated!
Decided to push a middle-of-the-road version, effects for 3.0b turrets, some tweaked effects and reworked XR textures.

Detailed feedback would be much appreciated, like "X size components smoke/fire is too big/small/bright/dark" etc).

New effects still need experimentation (and looots of tweak-stuff-open-game-load-game-close-game-repeat), will drop in a near future test version :wink:

Edit: Slightly rushed job, blame any questionable quality on the digital elves.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 30. Dec 19, 00:34

Hi, so far no big bugs discovered. I noticed that instead of fire, sometimes the destroyed turret kinda triggers a small explosion. Is that new? Looks cool!
Keep up the good work :)

Angsaar
x4

Post by Angsaar » Mon, 30. Dec 19, 20:56

Max Bain wrote:
Mon, 30. Dec 19, 00:34
Hi, so far no big bugs discovered. I noticed that instead of fire, sometimes the destroyed turret kinda triggers a small explosion. Is that new? Looks cool!
Keep up the good work :)
Great to hear! What do you think about the lightness of the smoke? XML controls for this shader seem to be extremely limited (only brightness) so I'm having to tweak the texture directly for hue/saturation/contrast.

I've added a couple of explosions for turrets (the one throwing out debris for M, can't remember if the L's do too), explosion for engines and a sparky blue one for shields. Do any components not present fire? Might be buried under the mesh, I'm fixing the height issues for 0.3, currently some fires and smoke might even show below the object like the turrets and small shields of the construction ships. Or it could be something new from Vanilla, defaults.xml shows that in theory more stuff should have a chance based damage effect on certain thresholds.

But I've tested more extensively on M components, if the larger ones seem off it's because I've yet to try out the various effects available before starting tweaking (particularly XL, some effects don't have large versions).

XTC0R
x4

Post by XTC0R » Sat, 18. Jan 20, 13:30

Angsaar wrote:
Fri, 13. Dec 19, 19:03
Temporary update being uploaded to Nexus :wink:

No new effects, but has better fire/smoke lighting and doesn't break 3.0b effects.
Just wanted to ask if you still working to get the beta into a final version? :mrgreen:

Angsaar
x4

Post by Angsaar » Tue, 18. Feb 20, 00:06

XTC0R wrote:
Sat, 18. Jan 20, 13:30
Angsaar wrote:

No new effects, but has better fire/smoke lighting and doesn't break 3.0b effects.
Just wanted to ask if you still working to get the beta into a final version? :mrgreen:
Sorry, this quarter I'll be short on spare time, I'll try to sneak something new in with any possible updates for a 3.0 release. :goner:

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 18. Feb 20, 07:06

Angsaar wrote:
Tue, 18. Feb 20, 00:06
XTC0R wrote:
Sat, 18. Jan 20, 13:30
Angsaar wrote:

Sorry, this quarter I'll be short on spare time, I'll try to sneak something new in with any possible updates for a 3.0 release. :goner:
You won't have long, 3.0 is in Beta 6 soon sometime this week.
I suspect by end of FEB or first week of march it may hit public release to stable branch, Split DLC also soon ish.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”