New User Problems with a Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

fivepints
x4

New User Problems with a Mod

Post by fivepints » Fri, 18. Oct 19, 22:38

Hello Egosoft,
Ive been a member for some years now, yet rarely played, but of late i have time on my hands so ive come back to see whats changed here and to prep for my retirement with a little gameplaying. Ive even purchased X4 Foundations!
it was looking promising until i thought i'd add a "no fog" mod, to help me get going quicker.. this then informed me of the "modded" in my save. I didn't think being able to see all the area would be such a problem, but as i didnt like to see ive "modded the game" i have reinstalled it onto another drive and started over.. no chgange as you will already know, and i have just been reading the thread about the "warning to all mod users"... Gosh you are a scary bunch...

im only playing a game, one i have paid well for too, as we all have, and you are deciding how i/we can play?
maybe you should consider us, your customers, having 2 setups? one modded - the other vanilla, for those times we want to get serious and take a more active role maybe? It would be down to you of course to make sure no one uses a modded setup where its not allowed. You see, its just another way to experience the game isnt it?

I have all the other X Series on disks but alas it seems there isnt one for X4 which is disapointing as we are stuck with steam.. or its baby brother GOG? all eggs in one basket??
Now, having tried to remove any content of the installation of X4 it seems its still remembering the save game & the modded label... im guessing thats on your servers then, seems you insit on making me a marked man!!!

I'm old school, I like a fair fight, and would only ever use mods to "hone my skills" until i was battle ready in a proper arena!! - Ive had the game for less than a week installed it 3 times now, discovered your rules on modding, well actually on "using" the mods yet you have a massive topic on this very subject.. what are we to do?

I think I need to request a full refund as its clear you won't be allowing me or others like me to play the game however we choose to play it any time soon!

So, Can you please arrange a refund, or can a sensible resolution prevail? ....

Regards
Cheers

fivepints

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: New User Problems with a Mod

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 18. Oct 19, 23:20

If you installed modifications through the extensions folder, you can turn them on/off in the game's extension menu. This allows you to manage your extensions for different setups. You still have to take care of your savegames though, as the *modified* tag stays in a savegame, once a mod has been used in it.
If your old savegames reappear despite their deletion, this is likely due to the Steam Cloud feature which you can turn off in the Steam Client by unchecking the "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization" option under X4: Foundations -> Properties -> Updates.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the "warning to all mod users"-thread. Can you elaborate?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Sat, 19. Oct 19, 01:08

What is the reasoning for stopping modified games accessing the venture system?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 19. Oct 19, 09:25

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 16:18
There are several reasons why you can only send ships on ventures with unmodified games. Compatibility is just one of these. Checking mod lists is certainly technically feasible, but it doesn't solve the associated problems completely, and also so drastically limits who a given person's venture ships can visit as to make it pretty much pointless. Another reason is security and stability; modified games would have a far greater chance of sending invalid data that could crash a recipient's game, for example, or flood the servers with data, even with more extensive validation than is already in place. For these reasons, and others, people should not expect this restriction to be lifted in the foreseeable future.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

fivepints
x4

Post by fivepints » Sat, 19. Oct 19, 15:02

Hello & Thanks for the responses,

The thread i was referring to in my last post is here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/d ... 080023375/

this is where i ended up once i began trying to sort out the fact id inadvertanly Modded my game. I know i have much catching up to do with many areas & removing a fog of war seemed one way to speed one bit up a fraction, you know how it is, your keen to get going etc....

to be honest im not even sure how i installed the mod or where, let alone i ever used it.. once i noticed the "Modded" flag i stopped playing, saved and tried to correct this. I will take a look at the install as it is on the first drive see where the file is, i know its not in the re-installed setup i have, unless egosoft knows different that is.. lets face it, who knows what gets installed as we create our accounts & do our downloading?

Today im not feeling so keen to continue with X4 right now, besides, there are so many other games ive promised myself "i'll play" once i get more time... im sure im not alone in that, retirement was always going to be one great gaming rally, certainly to begin with at least... i'd start at the front end and work my way backwards through all those titles ive collected & recollected over the years.
Cheers

fivepints

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Sat, 19. Oct 19, 19:05

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 19. Oct 19, 09:25
CBJ wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 16:18
There are several reasons why you can only send ships on ventures with unmodified games. Compatibility is just one of these. Checking mod lists is certainly technically feasible, but it doesn't solve the associated problems completely, and also so drastically limits who a given person's venture ships can visit as to make it pretty much pointless. Another reason is security and stability; modified games would have a far greater chance of sending invalid data that could crash a recipient's game, for example, or flood the servers with data, even with more extensive validation than is already in place. For these reasons, and others, people should not expect this restriction to be lifted in the foreseeable future.
So don't let modded games actually send the ship? I thought the rewards were all chance based anyway?

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Sun, 20. Oct 19, 14:21

Fyi, the no fog mod doesn't remove fog of war, it removes the fog in space in some systems. That mod was created as the space fog can cause lag on some computers.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”