[REQ] Territory Exchange

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

[REQ] Territory Exchange

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 09:49

I know X4 was touted to supposed to be launching with this feature already but seeing as it STILL is not present in the game to my knowledge anyone able to mock it up for me?
I am wanting to get the factions to exchange sector control during the war, example if Argon goes and attacks a Teladi sector and manages to wreck enough shit or build their own base the sector exchanges hands and belongs to Argon over time and the map reflects this change by changing the colour of the sector. Same deal with un-claimed sectors if a race is more dominant in the sector for some time it exchanges control to that faction and a few tweaks to the AI to make them try to expand would and fight to recover or keep a sector. I would do it myself but frankly, I dislike XML and the change from it over the X2 script engine eh is a bit of a pain as at least made scripting rather simple.

Desire
Basically I am displeased with a number of things which I think have not been improved upon at all since X3, in fact, more to the point it seems they do not even learn from modders what we actually want.
I want to re-create this https://www.moddb.com/mods/mayhem for X4

Much deeper Empire management and a real reason to play and fight.

About UI Limitations
The UI side of things can be changed with the HUD API and RIght Click Menu API
I have a sort of workaround way to get scripts back into the game like in X3 where you can select scripts to run, My theory for this is to create a Scripting API which passes pretty all it would do is Pass calls through the existing extension like any normal mod, except it checks for additional scripts and mounts them as well, It should work kind of like the HUD API in a sense that you install the main API then modders make scripts which can be registered by the API then the API takes the scripts and adds it its internal list of dynamically running scripts, if I can manage to get some sort of IDE built in through LUA I will it should, in theory, be possible to make an interactive text box pop up and then save a Lua into while tacking on the required registration lines for the API this we should then have a functional in-game scripter and can write stuff with Lua and save and the API auto-updates its scripts and you can use it right away.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

Berserk Knight
x4

Re: [REQ] Territory Exchange

Post by Berserk Knight » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 11:14

You do know that's exactly how it goes in the base game already IF it happens, right?

The only reason you don't really see it is because the AI don't do well enough to take out enemy defense stations to cause full loss of control and actually take it over.
They're juuuuuuuuuuuust good enough to successfully build defense stations offensively and cause the sector to be contested, but that's just about it.

I blame it on the factions (except maybe HOP) not having enough jobships to do anything above "patrol the baseline sectors that each faction owns on gamestart".

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 12:22

Well, in my game with faction fix mod HOP are knocking Argon pretty good after taking over half of ANT sectors and xenons have already taken over south-east sectors from teladies.
You may be a bit unlucky here :)

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 15:16

Interesting I must have missed something,
When I first got the game they never took over anything,
Someone told me players can but the AI does not yet.

I just thought it was true today, as I have three stations built, two are acting as trade-stations (using the player wharehouse mod so they function much like equipment docks/general carry and sell anything stations)
All of the Faction Fixes are installed, alongside FOV and DeadAirs Overhaul.

Any other mods installed do not really touch on the game war aspects or trade for AI anyway, Obviously I have the set of Random Trade,Mine,Supply scripts because they are awesome and fast.
I have TaterTrader, Better Mission Rewads, Better Kill Credit, etc.

THen the rest are just visual mods really, to remove stuff like stardust, fog, or display HUD elements or QOL such as the Ship-Reverse-engineering, Learning all the things, The awesome immediate-orders.

The game has been going on well over 50 hours now no sign of war anywhere near Paranid space which is where I started using a CAS start.
I think a sector or two maybe got taken over but I have not explored past Teladi or Paranid space yet I have no fleet for wars as I am focusing on making the Paranid and Teladi eco stronger and my own.
Because they rock Teladi have some of the best techs in the game I have seen so far at least their shields are awesome. I am allied with both.
Prob will kill off HOP as I defiantly took the contract to fight off heretics.

ANyway if wars already work this way then I guess all I have to do is personally go make changes to the Info Center mod and make that a one stop for all things Player property and use the GUI workaround and Lua which is what I can use, I suck with XML to go make empire management tab in the info center.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

albysmith
x4

Post by albysmith » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 07:34

Why would you want a lua scripter when mdscript already does everything?

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sat, 13. Apr 19, 11:49

albysmith wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 19, 07:34
Are you talking about the old Xscript?
or the XML stuff, I don't fully now what kind of mdscript you are talking about.

LUA is the only real language I know anything about besides Python.
The job of a coder to write code is basically to write with whatever he/she is most comfy with there is no point using a language you cannot interpret yourself, yes you can learn and I read enough of the XML based stuff from X:R to know I hate how it must be written and called to stay the heck away from modding X:R likewise I will probably do the same with X4 until somebody obviously smarter converts XML seamless to another language that does not force the coder to repeatedly call everything multiple times per script file. The XML expressions are so long someone has to give me a snippet plugin and preset for VSCode as I am certainly not going manually write all those expressions multiple times in long scripts or re-write them to get the info in a new script HELL TO THE NO...

I like LUA because it does not matter what script anything is in, as long as the script is loaded and has the var setup correctly I can call the var or create shortcuts for complex math and call that in any other script without adding to that script.
either that or the X4 language written in XML just looks too alien to me to make any sense from how does anyone find anything in that mess?
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

albysmith
x4

Post by albysmith » Mon, 15. Apr 19, 20:35

ledhead900 wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 19, 11:49
albysmith wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 19, 07:34
Are you talking about the old Xscript?
or the XML stuff, I don't fully now what kind of mdscript you are talking about.

LUA is the only real language I know anything about besides Python.
The job of a coder to write code is basically to write with whatever he/she is most comfy with there is no point using a language you cannot interpret yourself, yes you can learn and I read enough of the XML based stuff from X:R to know I hate how it must be written and called to stay the heck away from modding X:R likewise I will probably do the same with X4 until somebody obviously smarter converts XML seamless to another language that does not force the coder to repeatedly call everything multiple times per script file. The XML expressions are so long someone has to give me a snippet plugin and preset for VSCode as I am certainly not going manually write all those expressions multiple times in long scripts or re-write them to get the info in a new script HELL TO THE NO...

I like LUA because it does not matter what script anything is in, as long as the script is loaded and has the var setup correctly I can call the var or create shortcuts for complex math and call that in any other script without adding to that script.
either that or the X4 language written in XML just looks too alien to me to make any sense from how does anyone find anything in that mess?
The .xsds support validation and auto-complete.... Making a all factions build a type of station or ship in whatever places or conditions you want is something like 40 lines.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”