[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 4.x

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Shuulo
x4

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 3.x

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 18:19

Axeface wrote:
Wed, 18. Aug 21, 17:09

Thanks, is it ok to not use highpower tag on the weapons and turret and only add 'telonly'? Highpower in vanilla looks like it allows my ship to mount terran exclusive weapons.
without highpower tag in VRO this ship will not be able to equip heavy medium weapons, only light ones. And yes, its repurposed tag from terran weapons in vanilla, because it shows indication in UI.
Its up to you to either allow players use terran weapons or limit it to light weapons only in VRO (they are powerful, nemesis has 3 light and 2 heavy guns, cobra has 3 heavy), in case you dont want to make separate patch

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 26. Aug 21, 10:26

Will Axeface Teladi Kea be integrated into the mod like his Cyclops?

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 26. Aug 21, 11:12

Not sure whether you modelled the Hound or if it came from somewhere else, but I noticed it has what looks like a door or hatch floating in space above its engines, behind the landing pads. It shows up when you fly close (e.g. to disable the ship) and is not solid.
***modified***

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Thu, 26. Aug 21, 12:59

LameFox wrote:
Thu, 26. Aug 21, 11:12
Not sure whether you modelled the Hound or if it came from somewhere else, but I noticed it has what looks like a door or hatch floating in space above its engines, behind the landing pads. It shows up when you fly close (e.g. to disable the ship) and is not solid.
ill look into it
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 26. Aug 21, 10:26
Will Axeface Teladi Kea be integrated into the mod like his Cyclops?
He already released VRO version

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 26. Aug 21, 13:31

Shuulo wrote:
Thu, 26. Aug 21, 12:59
He already released VRO version
Yeah, but it's more convinient to have it in one package.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Thu, 26. Aug 21, 20:17

Do you suggest that the VRO author keep track of all mods with ships, and make changes to his mod for these mods? This is somehow too much, is not it?

Malchar
x4

Post by Malchar » Sun, 29. Aug 21, 21:04

I feel xenons ships and armement are weak at VRO, before to make a useless list, I would like to know if it is wanted (that is perfectly possible).

Berni
x4

Post by Berni » Mon, 30. Aug 21, 09:08

Hello Shuulo, do you have any numbers already regarding the nerf of station HP for me (from your upcoming version)?

e.g. -X% HP or less amount of turrets or something? I try to edit them myself as a workaround until your new 4.x version will be released^^

Thank you :)

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 30. Aug 21, 12:15

Malchar wrote:
Sun, 29. Aug 21, 21:04
I feel xenons ships and armement are weak at VRO, before to make a useless list, I would like to know if it is wanted (that is perfectly possible).
they are balanced to keep a stable vanilla-like universe balance. what list you are talking about?
Berni wrote:
Mon, 30. Aug 21, 09:08
Hello Shuulo, do you have any numbers already regarding the nerf of station HP for me (from your upcoming version)?

e.g. -X% HP or less amount of turrets or something? I try to edit them myself as a workaround until your new 4.x version will be released^^
I do not plan station HP nerf for now, the issue with sometimes invincible stations in OOS is vanilla one, not related to mod. I will see what changes/fixes to this will be in later betas.
For now only one modifier for OOS combat was changed to make them less powerful versus smaller targets.

rusky
x4

Post by rusky » Mon, 30. Aug 21, 12:37

Small QOL request: Consider adding the internal shield blueprints to the player at game start.

There's something like a hundred of them and they cost nothing but I have to click through all of them each time I start building ships (ok, I probably start fresh more than most but still :P )

Berni
x4

Post by Berni » Mon, 30. Aug 21, 23:04

Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 30. Aug 21, 12:15
I do not plan station HP nerf for now, the issue with sometimes invincible stations in OOS is vanilla one, not related to mod. I will see what changes/fixes to this will be in later betas.
For now only one modifier for OOS combat was changed to make them less powerful versus smaller targets.
Okay... i thought the stations were too OP because any of the NPC stations were able to take out an I and 2-3 Ks without any trouble.
Defence Stations were almost godlike in my game.
Doesn't matter IS or OOS - my Xenon weren't a threat in my last game unfortunately even with FOCW mod and tuned up Xenon parameters.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Mon, 6. Sep 21, 02:09

Reporting a bug I think:

The Medium ship Cobra does not have an internal Shield. I boarded a Cobra and went to repair it. But there is nothing in the internal shield slot so it refuses to go forward with repairs/upgrades.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 6. Sep 21, 12:54

SirConnery wrote:
Mon, 6. Sep 21, 02:09
Reporting a bug I think:

The Medium ship Cobra does not have an internal Shield. I boarded a Cobra and went to repair it. But there is nothing in the internal shield slot so it refuses to go forward with repairs/upgrades.
Is that quest ship? they like to spawn without critical components for some reason, or it may have been destroyed during boarding.
Just go to split wharf and install new one.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Tue, 7. Sep 21, 22:01

Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 6. Sep 21, 12:54
Is that quest ship? they like to spawn without critical components for some reason, or it may have been destroyed during boarding.
Yes, it is a quest ship. I tried to get it to a Split Warf but unfortunately it got destroyed on the way there so I can't report whether it would've worked

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 12:29

SirConnery wrote:
Tue, 7. Sep 21, 22:01
Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 6. Sep 21, 12:54
Yes, it is a quest ship. I tried to get it to a Split Warf but unfortunately it got destroyed on the way there so I can't report whether it would've worked
Unfortunately quest ships gets bugged in that way as they are spawned via scripts and so can lack some components, you can sell it any time.

rusky
x4

Post by rusky » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 14:58

So, I noticed the cyclone beamer turrets were being particularly bad at actually hitting things despite "accurate point defense" being their supposed selling point.

I experimented a bit and found there's 2 reasons they perform so poorly:

1) The "attach=0" flag you set on it means the beams don't track the targets they just shoot like a standard projectile. This results in something like 90% of the shots missing even with the ludicrous bullet speed.
2) Setting attack=1 isn't enough because the beam lifetime is not long enough for the tracking to do anything. I found increasing the beam lifetime to 1s (from 0.35s) and reducing the fire rate to 1 (from 3) kept the dps around the same values while making the Cyclone beamers actually worthwhile as a point defense tool. They can hit stuff now!

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 15:07

rusky wrote:
Wed, 8. Sep 21, 14:58

1) The "attach=0" flag you set on it means the beams don't track the targets they just shoot like a standard projectile. This results in something like 90% of the shots missing even with the ludicrous bullet speed.
thing here is broken turret tracking in latest game versions, they were much better in 3.3. We will see if this will be fixed in 4.1. if no, I may update them a bit.
They are made like that on purpose.

rusky
x4

Post by rusky » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 15:33

Oh ok, didn't realise they worked better in previous versions. Fair enough!

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 20:01

Hey Shuulo,

Is there a problem with the S-Class "Plasma Burster" weapon? I've never used them personally before, only on my AI-Controlled ships and they seemed to be ok in this role. However, when using them myself, they're woefully inaccurate. I get that the nature of the weapon (high damage burst, ideal vs. larger targets) might mean they deliberately have a degree of inaccuracy, but it seems too much. For example, I'm following a Minotaur Sentinel, a tough but not super-nimble ship, it's flying straight, I'm behind it, and the aiming reticles for the Plasma Bursters are tracking correctly. The moment I fire however the shots are close to 30 degrees off target. I fire again and they're perhaps a little closer, I fire a third burst and they're about the same, ALL shots missing. It doesn't get any better.

I sometimes seem to get what appears to be more a lucky hit than anything as the shots simply do not track where the individual reticles are pointing. I aid the aim as much as I can, ensuring the individual reticles are tracking the lead target indicator - like I do with any non insta-hit weapons - yet the Plasma Burster is always way off target. I'm aware there's a degree of hard-coded "the first few shots will be waaaaay off target", but this is only for turrets I thought. Plus, I firing lots of times and missing 90% of those times.

In AI hands it seems to work pretty well, not great vs. smaller fighters but very good vs. larger fighters and corvettes of course.

Note: I'm testing this in V4.1 Beta 7 HF2 currently, so perhaps there are other issues at play? Just thought it worth mentioning as I expect (and hope) you might be working on VRO for 4.10 now or in the near future.

Edit: I did wonder if this was a 100% fixed forward-fire weapon, which might explain things were it not for the fact that even when I'm lined up dead centre on the target, the shots go wide and not just the main always-centred reticle.

Cheers,

Scoob.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 17:36

Mod version 3.1 for 4.1 of the game is now released:
- Rebalanced M turrets - damage is lower by 10-15% depending on turret, should make battles longer and will make S and M ships survive a bit more.
- Rebelanced M shields - 15% stronger to give that needed survivability to M ships, increased M ships hull by 10-15% to make them even more sturdy
- Improved M weapons damage slightly to make them more viable
- Nerfed station OOS damage so they are not OP
- Fixed ATF battleship main gun being destructible
- Increased default unit/drone capacity of M ships
- Updated starting equipment for Terran Cadet start so not to mess with "collect mine" mission
- Improved possibility of AI faction fitting their ships with torpedo launchers
- Revert hull points buff for defense modules back to vanilla values to make platforms more vulnerable to attacks (administrative module hull buff did not change)
- Correction of typos

Note that there are few issues with OOS in vanilla 4.1 for Asgard and very tough stations, its still better in VRO but those should be fixed by Egosoft and ill update as required, cant do anything about it on my own.

STEAM is stupid and its servers are busy, so upload fails, for now you can get from Nexus.
Last edited by Shuulo on Tue, 14. Sep 21, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”