[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 4.x

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Scoob
x4

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO)

Post by Scoob » Fri, 5. Jul 19, 23:16

I find getting close and using the shotgun type weapons works fairly well vs. nimble Xenon. I had a combo of a Laser and the shotgun Ion on my Falcon very early in the game and it worked well enough. Oddly the Ion weapon did more hull damage than the Laser did...which doesn't seem quite right.

For me, the only complaint about the Xenon is that their super nimble ships such as the N also hit quite hard, even if you're in a fully shielded Falcon Sentinel like me, with two shield slots. Still, keeps things interesting!

Scoob.

Ragemaster9999
x4

Post by Ragemaster9999 » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 04:00

I definitely feel the hulls are too strong. Or maybe the weapons combined with their bad accuracy and low hull damage is making ships too tanky. I tried the FOCW mod and had the opposite problem, Ships died too fast. Hoping to find some middle ground somewhere.

h4xC0r3

Post by h4xC0r3 » Sun, 14. Jul 19, 11:53

Hallo, hunter and plaasma turret didnt autoattack enemy, whats the problem?

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Sun, 14. Jul 19, 15:57

Ragemaster9999 wrote:
Sat, 13. Jul 19, 04:00
I definitely feel the hulls are too strong. Or maybe the weapons combined with their bad accuracy and low hull damage is making ships too tanky. I tried the FOCW mod and had the opposite problem, Ships died too fast. Hoping to find some middle ground somewhere.
I'm working on weapons too. Can you articulate how you would like combat to go in some scenario?

h4xC0r3

Post by h4xC0r3 » Sun, 14. Jul 19, 18:07

teleportationwars wrote:
Sun, 14. Jul 19, 15:57

I'm working on weapons too. Can you articulate how you would like combat to go in some scenario?
Hi, I found a problem that plasma turret and hunter turret are not active and do not shoot in the attack mode, only work in the attack mode for the selected target. The rest of the turrels work fine. What could be the problem or is it a problem of my other included mod? But it seems that VRO adds these turrets and probably the reason in VRO.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 11:14

h4xC0r3 wrote:
Sun, 14. Jul 19, 18:07
teleportationwars wrote:

Hi, I found a problem that plasma turret and hunter turret are not active and do not shoot in the attack mode, only work in the attack mode for the selected target. The rest of the turrels work fine. What could be the problem or is it a problem of my other included mod? But it seems that VRO adds these turrets and probably the reason in VRO.
No, these turrets are just renamed and updated vanilla turrets. This is a vanilla bug that happens here and there, try to reload the save. This has nothing to do with VRO.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 11:15

Ragemaster9999 wrote:
Sat, 13. Jul 19, 04:00
Fighters will be rebalanced in next patch. Lighter fighters will have less hull, heavier fighters will be a bit slower as well.

h4xC0r3

Post by h4xC0r3 » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 21:04

Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 15. Jul 19, 11:14
h4xC0r3 wrote:
Sun, 14. Jul 19, 18:07
teleportationwars wrote:

No, these turrets are just renamed and updated vanilla turrets. This is a vanilla bug that happens here and there, try to reload the save. This has nothing to do with VRO.
Thank u for answer.
But why another turrets work correctly, maybe its wrong config settings? i cant find

unit757
x4

Post by unit757 » Wed, 17. Jul 19, 20:09

Keep in mind that, for plasma turrets at least, they will not fire by default at S sized ships. I can't speak for the Hunter turrets, but I have not encountered any issues with turrets not shooting when they should.

Turrets hitting things, however, is a different story.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 17. Jul 19, 22:36

unit757 wrote:
Wed, 17. Jul 19, 20:09
Keep in mind that, for plasma turrets at least, they will not fire by default at S sized ships. I can't speak for the Hunter turrets, but I have not encountered any issues with turrets not shooting when they should.

Is it possible in X4 to restrict some targets for some weapons - like L-size turret not targeting S-size targets?
I mean from game code perspective, not a gameplay feature (e.g. turret command).

unit757
x4

Post by unit757 » Thu, 18. Jul 19, 06:30

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 17. Jul 19, 22:36
unit757 wrote:

Is it possible in X4 to restrict some targets for some weapons - like L-size turret not targeting S-size targets?
I mean from game code perspective, not a gameplay feature (e.g. turret command).
I have no idea really, I'm not a modder. I would imagine restricting targets can be tied into turret commands though, as missile defence does that. Same for say L turrets on attack all enemies VS attack my target. On attack all they typically won't shoot an S sized ship, whereas on attack target they don't care what it is.

h4xC0r3

Post by h4xC0r3 » Sat, 20. Jul 19, 10:37

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 17. Jul 19, 22:36
unit757 wrote:

I think yes, cuz i this mod plasma turret didnt shoot S ships

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sat, 20. Jul 19, 23:20

h4xC0r3 wrote:
Sat, 20. Jul 19, 10:37

I think yes, cuz i this mod plasma turret didnt shoot S ships
That is strange, did not encounter this issue, will check.

unit757
x4

Post by unit757 » Sun, 21. Jul 19, 17:50

IMO, I would leave it that way. At least this way plasmas won't get stuck wasting time on small agile fighters, and will focus more on something they are more likely to hit

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 21. Jul 19, 20:59

unit757 wrote:
Sun, 21. Jul 19, 17:50
IMO, I would leave it that way. At least this way plasmas won't get stuck wasting time on small agile fighters, and will focus more on something they are more likely to hit
Agree - it would be good to reasearch this as it would be handy for some weapons that shouldn't be distrated by small ships.

unit757
x4

Post by unit757 » Wed, 24. Jul 19, 20:28

The changed to missile ROF was nice, but they definitely did not need that damage buff. They are still WAY to powerful compared to other turrets, especially considering they are a more or less a guaranteed hit on another capital ship, while most other turrets still struggle to hit even a stationary target at times.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 24. Jul 19, 22:57

unit757 wrote:
Wed, 24. Jul 19, 20:28
The changed to missile ROF was nice, but they definitely did not need that damage buff. They are still WAY to powerful compared to other turrets, especially considering they are a more or less a guaranteed hit on another capital ship, while most other turrets still struggle to hit even a stationary target at times.
Thanks for feedback. Can anyone else let me know his thoughts on this? I will consider to re balance missiles a bit.

Quellix
x4

Post by Quellix » Fri, 26. Jul 19, 21:59

Yo, Great mod so far love the changes!

Tho, any news on a patch for 'Ashipmods' A.K.A Rise of the Ossain Raider?

Good luck on your modding journey!

Zaidman

Post by Zaidman » Sat, 27. Jul 19, 23:20

I love this mod. It's night and day compared to vanilla.
However I do have some issues with the balance.

Beamer weapons are just horrible. Both S and M class. They deal almost no damage. I think those weapons should be best against small fast targets, but now they are just useless.
Ion weapons should deal way more damage to shields to be worth taken. Now they are better that beamers, but every other weapon is superior.
Chain gun and autocannon are no brainer for S class ships. If you nerf them a little, plasma and shotgun weapons will be able to get their place on my ships.
Demolisher Cannons are insane, they just obliterate everything. Both damage and projectile speed can be lower.

All M turrets seem to be well balanced and useful in their own unique way. Maybe plasma turrets can deal a little more damage but have slower projectiles to compensate.
Except for Scatter Turrets. Those are just useless. Can't hit anything and don't deal any damage if they do.

All missiles and torpedos are expensive, slow, bothersome to replenish and don't deal enough damage to compensate for the trouble.
They are only good at killing boarding pods. For some reason when I launch boarding pods all enemy missile turrets start shooting. Even those which cant see the pods.

Eclipse is too good. There is no reason to take any other fighter. Maybe give him 5000 HP instead of 10000? That would be logical because of how he looks.
Osprey is too slow and clumsy. If he had 1 extra shield that would be ok, but now he is just bad in every way and extra HP don't compensate for that.

Minotaur hits himself with his cannons when shooting behind. I don't know, maybe it's vanilla behavior.

I feel the prices for S class Chassis are too low. The price for components makes more than 90% of the final ship price. And there is no price variation for better/worse ships. Maybe you could make them dependent on how many weapon+shield slots they have. For example apply some no-brainer formula like
(original chassis price)*((shield slots)+(weapon slots)-3)

I tried a couple of different rebalance mods and your mod still is way better.
Maybe others will not agree with my ideas but I think another view can help to start a conversation or find a good solution that will make the game even more enjoyable.

Anyways good luck with your mod and don't forget about compatibility mod with Ossian Raider.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sun, 28. Jul 19, 16:12

Zaidman wrote:
Sat, 27. Jul 19, 23:20
snip
Thanks for the feedback. I do agree with some points on balance, it's always a hard task to get it right if you are doing a full rebalance, especially taking vanilla bad balance and different bugs with oos combat into consideration.

I guess I'll buff ions and some scatter weapons, but not missiles, otherwise they will obliterate everything in oos combat.
As for slow plasma - slow projectile speed is setting I hate in vanilla and was one the reasons why I starter VRO, so no, I will not make it slower :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”