Current Version:2.3 FOR 3.x GAME VERSION AND SPLIT DLC (currently does not work without DLC!!!)
LINK TO NEXUS
VRO is a major overhaul to the way the combat is implemented to make it more varied, enjoyable, less player-centric and less arcady (to my taste at least). This is done by changing the parameters of every ship, weapon, missile, engine, shield as well as adding numerous new weapons, missiles and even few ships. The main drive for me to create VRO was the huge potential in X4, where player can have a real impact on the universe, but some aspects of the game felt very underwhelming to me, specifically how combat felt, and i was struggling from getting the real enjoyment from the game. New and updated weapons, ships, general combat overhaul and "feel" of combat mechanics is the focus of the VRO.
FULL DESCRIPTION AND DETAILS OF CHANGES ARE AVAILABLE ON VRO WIKI PAGE
Some videos in this channel
2.x MOD VERSION REQUIRES NEW GAME AND CANNOT BE SAFELY DEACTIVATED OR USED ON OLD SAVES.
VRO overhauls the way game plays by changing the parameters of every ship, weapon, engine, shield and many other tweaks to make the game more varied, enjoyable and less player-centric and arcady.
All weapons have new behaviour, sounds, effects and are now useful in different situations. Added more weapons. Ranges are increased, weapon sizes are more distinct.
Missiles are completely redone, by bringing back missiles form previous X titles and limiting missile classes to different sizes of launchers.
Ship classes are more distinct, L,XL ships are more powerful, added few new ships. Carriers and Resupply ships are more useful in their intended role.
Xenons get new ships, missiles and different new weapon systems. Beware of I.
OOS combat also works better than in vanilla.
VRO will not change drastically economics or politics of the game, though some changes may be done to e.g. ship/weapon prices as they connect directly to the combat balance.
New weapons, ships, general combat overhaul is the focus of the VRO. There is a list of recommended mods to use alongside VRO.
BE WARNED / DISCLAMER
VRO makes game a bit more difficult, there may be no “best ship” in the game as I strived for balance, early game may be more dangerous while you are flying starting ship, so avoid direct combat if you are not certain you can win. Remember to rely more on support of your other ships in combat.
ALSO, Xenons may be more of a threat now, so, if you are very unlucky and factions fail to oppose them, they can really take of over the universe, if given enough time, i suggest to monitor the situation in galaxy more closely then in vanilla and try to help factions if needed.
This mod was built with the below mods in mind, so they are STRONGLY recommended, although not mandatory.
Faction War/Economy Enhancer - Makes some necessary changes to factions and ship behaviors.
NoSuperHighways - makes game to feel bigger, closer to X3 and gives the opportunity to balance S,M and L,XL ships properly as highways are messing with that. VRO SHIP SPEEDS WERE BALANCED AROUND THIS MOD
All balance was done for VRO + FE, if you are using some shippacks that may add more ships to factions and not to Xenons I suggest to use FOCW mod and configure it to your liking. To know how each shippack adds ships please check/ask in the appropriate mod thread on Egosoft forum as I may not know the details and its impossible for me to balance VRO taking into account all possible mod combinations.
Detailed description of upcoming VRO 2.0 (Mostly major changes compared to vanilla):
- Ships in general are faster, including travel speeds
- Engines are rebalanced for their role (allround/travel/combat)
- All ships now have built-in shield generator that are mostly responsible for shield regen
- Shields do not have regen delay
- Boost was changed to last longer but be more of a combat boost than travel-drive replacement (no instant boosting)
- S ships have a bit more varied maneuverability, M, L and XL ships are more clunky and less maneuverable
- S ships are now divided more into Interceptor, Fighter and Heavy fighter roles.
- L and XL ships are now true capital ships, more survivable, expensive and dangerous
- Some ships have changed turret loadouts (mostly tealdies)
- Argons tend to focus on L ships/heavy fighters, tealdi on M/XL ships, Paranids on fighters and their destroyers
- New Xenon missile destroyer V, some other Xenon ships have new weapons and missiles
- Vanilla frigates were designated as corvettes
- Frigates are now new large ship class, something between corvette and destroyer. They have good forward firepower and/or good anti-fighter turret coverage or provide some fleet support.
- Introduced new Centaur frigate for Argon (patrolfrigate), Shrike frigate for Teladi (light carrier), Panther frigate for Split (light carrier)
- No more MK1/2 system, a lot of new weapons were added
- Ranges of engagement are now different, S weapons up to 5km, M weapons/turrets up to 9 km, L weapons/turrets up to 20 km
- All S and M weapons (front guns) are now divided into LIGHT and HEAVY, different ships have different hardpoints (e.g. Falcon has 2 LIGHT, while Nova has 1 LIGHT and 1 LIGHT/HEAVY and Perseus has 2 LIGHT/HEAVY and Guilemont has 1 HEAVY)
- All vanilla weapons/turrets are rebalanced/replaced to have their own niche and use.
- All weapons names/description updated
- Weapons now have different amount of damage vs hull and vs shield. Use HEAVY weapons with additional shield damage to combat high shield regen values of the larger ships
- L turrets and weapons are designed to be true capital weapons, with high range and damage, while inaccurate and with low efficiency against S ships
- Most weapons with “Plasma” in the name have additional damage against components
List of weapons
Ion Cannon - light anti-shield
Arc Discharger - heavy anti-shield shotgun
Pulse Beamer - light precision beam
Beamer - light long range precision beam
Chain Gun - light general
Autocannon - heavy anti-m
Impulse Ray Emitter - light general heat-efficient
Particle Accelerator Cannon - light general burst
Energy Bolt Chaingun - light general
Pulse Beam Emitter - light general high-burst damage
High Energy Plasma Thrower - heavy general
Fragmentation Bomb Launcher - heavy AOE general
Heavy Mortar - heavy AOE anti-components
Rail Slugger - light precision
Railgun - heavy sniper
Muon Gun - light general with direct hull damage
Heavy Muon Gun - heavy general with direct hull damage
Burst Ray - light short-range precision burst beam
Cyclic Ray - heavy short-range precision burst beam
Plasma Gun - heavy anti-M, anti-subsystem
Plasma Burster - heavy anti-M, anti-subsystem
Scatter Gun - light shotgun
Heavy Scatter Gun - heavy shotgun
Xenon Laser Gun - light xenon
Xenon Plasma Gun - heavy xenon anti-m
Heavy Ion Cannon - light anti-shield
Heavy Arc Discharger - heavy anti-shield shotgun
Cyclone Beamer - light anti-S precision beam
Lancer - light precision beam
Avenger Autocannon - light anti-S
Reaper Cannon - heavy anti-M, anti-L
Fusion Blaster - light general
Fusion Repeater - light general burster
Plasma Cannon - heavy anti-components
Plasma Incinerator - heavy anti-l, anti-components
Storm Cannon - light anti-s shotgun
Demolisher Cannon - heavy shotgun
Rail Cannon - light sniper
Rail Repeater - heavy anti-m
Muon Charger - light general with direct hull damage
Heavy Muon Launcher - heavy general with direct hull damage
Ion Shard Railgun - heavy anti-shield with fast projectile
Concussion Impulse Generator - heavy anti-L
Matter/Anti-Matter Launcher - heavy general
Plasma bomb - gunship-only weapon, bypasses shields, anti-component
Xenon Heavy Burster - heavy general
M Frigate weapons - spinal mounts with improved heat efficiency
Ion Shard Railgun - spinal anti-shield with fast projectile
Concussion Impulse Generator - spinal anti-L
Matter/Anti-Matter Launcher - spinal general
Fusion Accelerator - general anti-L, anti-M
Heavy Plasma Array - general anti-L, anti-component
Ion Projector - Argon destroyers only anti-shield long range beam weapon
Tri-Beam- Paranid destroyer-only mid-ranged balanced beam weapon
Positron Beam - Teladi destroyer-only long-range heavy beam with long reload and poor tracking
Flak Turret - aoe anti-s
CIWS - rapid-fire anti-s
Hunter Cannon Turret - general
Plasma Turret - anti-l
Matter/Anti-Matter Turret - anti-m
Scatter Turret - shotgun anti-m
Flechette Turret - Teladi specific kinetic turret with some shield bypass possibilities.
Xenon Cutting Laser Turret - anti-s beam
Xenon Repeater Turret - general
FLAK Artillery Array - long range anti-s
Fusion Burst Turret - general use L turret
Annihilator Turret - heavy anti-L turret
Photon Pulse Cannon - argon anti-L turret
Gauss Turret - teladi long range anti-L turret
Tri-cannon Turret - paranid anti-L turret
Xenon Obliterator Turret - heavy beam turret
Xenon xPPC Turret - heavy anti-L turret
Xenon Phase Cannon - general use L turret
- All vanilla missiles are removed (may still be present in tutorial etc)
- Missiles are now divided into classes - Light, Medium, Heavy, Torpedo, Cruise
- S launchers and M missile turrets are limited to Light and Medium missiles
- M launchers and L missile turrets are limited to Medium and Heavy missiles
- Dumbfire and Tracking launchers can be fitted only in LIGHT weapon hardpoints, Torpedo launchers can be fitted only in HEAVY hardpoints
- Cruise missiles can be used only with L Cruise turret
- All ship missile capacities are redone
- All missiles have a detailed encyclopedia entry with the following abbreviations:
L - light
M - medium
H - heavy
D - dumbfire
G - guided
T - torpedo
CR - cruise
HEAT, LOCK, SMART - missile lock mechanic
AOE/high AOE, SWARM - additional characteristics
List of missiles
remote guided warhead
- Khaak installations now destructible, previously it lled to whole fleets stranding trying to kill them
- Shield components are now not lost/destroyed during bail-out, boarding.
- Auxiliary and Carrier storages are increased to make them more efficient in their support role
- L freighters cargo hold increased by 25% to make them more competitive to M freighters
- Defense modules HP increased by x4, with new weapon balance old values were quite small
- Prices of heavy fighters, destroyers and carriers are increased
- L radar range is 60km, XL - 80km
- Replaced map icons for scouts, heavy fighters, bombers/gunships, defense drones, battleships, added icon for new frigates class
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=421227 Recycle Ships and Stations (and his other mods)
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/136 Getting Paid
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/85 Disabled encounters - remove random spawned ships
You can use other mods that change music, logos, some minor tweaks to game mechanics that do not directly change weapons or ships, they should be OK in general.
Faction battleships - adds battleships to factions based on Auxiliary ships hulls
Rovers Improved XXXX mods - most of them are either part of VRO or conflict with it.
This mod WILL OVERWRITE any other changes to ships, weapons or shield parameters from any mod if loaded after them (in alphabetic order) so if you want to run it alongside FOCW you are free to do so.
Mods that add new ships or weapons need to have a patch mod or they will can lack weapons, internal generators etc.
In case you want to support me, here is the Pateron link.
mewosmith for helping and supporting me
AngEviL for creating Shield and Weapon Overhaul mod that inspired me
Chirumiru ShiRoz for letting me use some of his Stellaris mod sounds; check it out if you play stellaris.
RoverTX for improvements to some ships and kind permission to use them.
Mirek, DeadAir, MacBain, MisunderstoodWookie, Mysterial, Sascha, Unitrader, H2Odragon and others from Ego modding discord channel for providing valuable feedback and suggestions.
SirFrancisDrake for permission to use his X3 ported models and BrummBear for porting and helping with implementation of it.