[WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies 2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Mike7495

Re: [WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies

Post by Mike7495 » Sat, 9. May 20, 13:30

I must be missing something. I've been trying to convert xml to dae for over a month. lol reading trying. I cannot get the xml files to convert over to dae. has anyone else had this problem?

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 9. May 20, 13:39

ALEX Bemelmans wrote:
Fri, 8. May 20, 06:15
and it s done! thanks a lot again brummbear!
still have 3 little (xml) issues but very minor : my pilot diseapear when it get up and appear from nowhere when i get up coordinate looks good but i don t know
the ship id decal is always "AAAAAAA" and i lost somewhere screen decals from cockpit so they are all empty... :/

little question: how do i edit the wrench? because it is not exported in the dae?
the wrench? you need to apply your modifiers there is a button for that. the pilots entry point is something in the xml file. id need to look that up too.
the AAAAAA thing is an issue with the converter. thats why my ships have their name edged in. i cant get the dynamic tailnumber get to work properly :(
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 9. May 20, 13:40

Mike7495 wrote:
Sat, 9. May 20, 13:30
I must be missing something. I've been trying to convert xml to dae for over a month. lol reading trying. I cannot get the xml files to convert over to dae. has anyone else had this problem?
well. yea. thats way too little info to help you. at the very least u dont convert xml files but xmf. xml have nothing to do with the actual 3d model.

Mike7495

Post by Mike7495 » Sat, 9. May 20, 13:57

BrummBear02 wrote:
Sat, 9. May 20, 13:40
Mike7495 wrote:
Sat, 9. May 20, 13:30
well. yea. thats way too little info to help you. at the very least u dont convert xml files but xmf. xml have nothing to do with the actual 3d model.
lol ok. yehhh I'm embarrassed Think I've figured it out. I miss read the beginning. I'm just going to blame it on my heart meds :D

ITs even worse. I did everything right!!! lol BUT Name on my folder was x4Mods not X4Mod. This is why nothing was converting. Im not an expert coder, but LOL I do know better than that. derp

ALEX Bemelmans
x3

Post by ALEX Bemelmans » Sat, 9. May 20, 18:13

@ brummbear
about modifier....
do i have to had the modifier collision to the collision meshes? because my collision have weird reaction like sometime it works sometime i can pass through object

i dunno if the problem come from my ship (the collision meshes was done like you said) or it a game issue with collision
my textid range: 909700-909799

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 9. May 20, 23:04

ALEX Bemelmans wrote:
Sat, 9. May 20, 18:13
@ brummbear
about modifier....
do i have to had the modifier collision to the collision meshes? because my collision have weird reaction like sometime it works sometime i can pass through object

i dunno if the problem come from my ship (the collision meshes was done like you said) or it a game issue with collision
im pretty sure u ****** up your collision mesh somehow. maybe moved it a bit by accident. if u move things around in object mode the converter wont take that into account and its out of place.

ALEX Bemelmans
x3

Post by ALEX Bemelmans » Sun, 10. May 20, 03:12

finally i tryed many stuff in in blender and near everything is ok i had my collision working with the modifier collision but i still don t find where the wreck modifier is....
near all is corrected i m happy thanks a lot!
my textid range: 909700-909799

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 11. May 20, 18:55

ALEX Bemelmans wrote:
Sun, 10. May 20, 03:12
finally i tryed many stuff in in blender and near everything is ok i had my collision working with the modifier collision but i still don t find where the wreck modifier is....
i never bothered with the wrecks. but mcbain can help you with that.

XTC0R
x4

Post by XTC0R » Mon, 11. May 20, 20:42

BrummBear02 wrote:
Mon, 11. May 20, 18:55
ALEX Bemelmans wrote:
Sun, 10. May 20, 03:12
i never bothered with the wrecks. but mcbain can help you with that.
Not sure you saw this. But seems there is hope we get some nice tools soon TM :)
https://youtu.be/zm4yTLTg2t0?t=5130

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 11. May 20, 22:09

yea but when will we get proper tools? i guess on the other hand i can now do almost everything with the current converter. with enough workarounds....

Kartoffeltorte
x4

Problems with XRConverter exporting

Post by Kartoffeltorte » Sat, 8. Aug 20, 14:47

Hello,

I'm currently trying to create my first mod, a "heavy" behemoth. But since I'm very new to 3D modeling and modding, so I used BrummBear's Building your own ship for dummies Guide. This worked completely fine for me, up until the point where I was supposed to export the 3D model using XRConverter, but it always gave me "Node anim_mainXlod0Xgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached" as an error.
Anyone know how to fix that/why that is?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 8. Aug 20, 14:55

*merged with tutorial topic*

If you read a page back, you'll notice that the same error has been reported by ALEX Bemelmans not long ago with a suggestion by BrummBear02 how to fix it and ALEX Bemelmans posting their solution.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Axeface
x4

Re: Problems with XRConverter exporting

Post by Axeface » Sat, 8. Aug 20, 16:06

Kartoffeltorte wrote:
Sat, 8. Aug 20, 14:47
Hello,

I'm currently trying to create my first mod, a "heavy" behemoth. But since I'm very new to 3D modeling and modding, so I used BrummBear's Building your own ship for dummies Guide. This worked completely fine for me, up until the point where I was supposed to export the 3D model using XRConverter, but it always gave me "Node anim_mainXlod0Xgeneric_p1_hulltexture has multiple meshes attached" as an error.
Select all the parts of your ship and press tab to go to edit mode, select all vertices and go to mesh > Clean up > delete loose. You might also need to get rid of orphaned/left over mesh partsand material copies in the top right Display Mode > Blender File > Meshes/Materials drop down thing (Sorry I dont know the names of things :D ).

Kartoffeltorte
x4

Post by Kartoffeltorte » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 05:17

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 8. Aug 20, 14:55

If you read a page back, you'll notice that the same error has been reported by ALEX Bemelmans not long ago with a suggestion by BrummBear02 how to fix it and ALEX Bemelmans posting their solution.
Well I tried that, and a lot of other stuff that got proposed, but nothing actually worked. I managed to get the Export batch working once, it created a folder with incomplete Data and a xml, which resulted in nothing actually appearing ingame tho. Not sure how that even created anything, since when I tried it again with the same files, but then got the same error as before.
I played around with that a bit, but the error kept popping up, and when i just deleted everything from that object, it gave me an error for a different object...
I don't know if I just managed to horribly screw something up in the model, resulting in XRConverter having an exestencial crisis, but if someone else that actually knows what they are doing wants to try exporting it themself, have a shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4vutl9veogpi ... h.dae?dl=0

BrummBear02
x3ap

Re: Problems with XRConverter exporting

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 19:37

Kartoffeltorte wrote:
Sat, 8. Aug 20, 14:47
Hello,

discord is most likely the place you want to go with your failed model.

follow this to fix your error:

viewtopic.php?p=4850556#p4850556

also make sure the node that gives you the error does not have more than one material attached

https://i.imgur.com/199Ygis.png
this for example is crap. because its two materials on that node.
the picture is out of context. i just used one of my tutorial to clarify what i mean with multible materials.
you might have multible materials on anim_mainXlod0Xgeneric_p1_hulltexture.

edit: i just checked your model (next time provide your blender file and not a .dae please) and you dont have multible materials. but still, keep it in mind in case you ever run into this error again. the problem with the .dae you provided was

part_mainXlod0XgenericXgeneric_p1_hullpattern

and
part_mainXcollision

just go mesh -> clean up -> delete loose on both and it converts just fine.
Last edited by BrummBear02 on Sun, 9. Aug 20, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 19:37

Kartoffeltorte wrote:
Sun, 9. Aug 20, 05:17
X2-Illuminatus wrote:

Well I tried that, and a lot of other stuff that got proposed, but nothing actually worked. I managed to get the Export batch working once, it created a folder with incomplete Data and a xml, which resulted in nothing actually appearing ingame tho. Not sure how that even created anything, since when I tried it again with the same files, but then got the same error as before.
I played around with that a bit, but the error kept popping up, and when i just deleted everything from that object, it gave me an error for a different object...
I don't know if I just managed to horribly screw something up in the model, resulting in XRConverter having an exestencial crisis, but if someone else that actually knows what they are doing wants to try exporting it themself, have a shot.

I got a successful export after doing what I said above, I had to remove a couple of left over materials 'dots stroke' and 'material' from the display mode > blender file > materials dropdown in the outliner.
Oh, also there were some loose verts and edges. Oh, and hillariously, I got a successful export and convert from blender 2.8.... something that never works for me.
Edit: lol brummbear beat me to it by seconds.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 19:44

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 9. Aug 20, 19:37
Kartoffeltorte wrote:
Sun, 9. Aug 20, 05:17
X2-Illuminatus wrote:

I got a successful export after doing what I said above, I had to remove a couple of left over materials 'dots stroke' and 'material' from the display mode > blender file > materials dropdown in the outliner.
Oh, also there were some loose verts and edges. Oh, and hillariously, I got a successful export and convert from blender 2.8.... something that never works for me.
Edit: lol brummbear beat me to it by seconds.
call me speedy gonazles.

Kartoffeltorte
x4

Post by Kartoffeltorte » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 22:17

Finally got it to export aswell, but still not able to make it appear ingame. The debug log spews out a ton of errors all saying
[=ERROR=] 63.51 AssetManager::GetAssetIntern() invalid handle(255:16777215)
[General] 63.51 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 63.51 [Mesh::Mesh] could not find a valid meshsource for mesh heavy_behemoth_data\fx_licence01-lod0.xmf!
with every single mesh that dares to exist having its own error. I assume that that is not quite how it's supposed to be.
I also tried the Discord, but no one responded to the errors I ran into, if you don't mind I could DM you directly on Discord, would probably be more convenient than creating a new post on the forum every 12 hours.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 23:03

Kartoffeltorte wrote:
Sun, 9. Aug 20, 22:17
Finally got it to export aswell, but still not able to make it appear ingame. The debug log spews out a ton of errors all saying
[=ERROR=] 63.51 AssetManager::GetAssetIntern() invalid handle(255:16777215)
[=ERROR=] 63.51 [Mesh::Mesh] could not find a valid meshsource for mesh heavy_behemoth_data\fx_licence01-lod0.xmf!
with every single mesh that dares to exist having its own error. I assume that that is not quite how it's supposed to be.
I also tried the Discord, but no one responded to the errors I ran into, if you don't mind I could DM you directly on Discord, would probably be more convenient than creating a new post on the forum every 12 hours.
the errors are most likely because u messed up your path in the xml.

for discord: PM or tag me. i dont watch the channel a lot ;)

aurumgallente
x4

Post by aurumgallente » Fri, 11. Sep 20, 17:27

Can you add information about naming rules for parts and required structure of new part? I want to add another part to my ship. To do this I created new empty and changed its name to "anim_merc37". After this I added to that empty another empty with name "anim_merc37Xlod0" and attached to it my part "anim_merc37Xlod0genericXgeneric_p1_hulltexture" with the same name for its geometry. After that I added material with name "generic_p1_hulltexture.001". This part was added to xml file and anim_merc37-lod0.xmf file was generated but ship disappeared from the game.

EDIT
I figured out that I can't use digits without underscore. "anim_m09" doesn't work but "anim_thruster_00" works.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”