[Mod] Drone Variety v1.1 (2019.01.20)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

7ate9tin11s
x4

[Mod] Drone Variety v1.1 (2019.01.20)

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Sat, 5. Jan 19, 19:15

Drone Variety

Purpose: Adds Mark 2-5 defense drones to the universe for increased options and drone carrier deadliness. Each major faction has specialized drones from Mark 3 on up.

Drone Types:
There are three distinct types of drones available, each with positives and negatives.
  • Bomber - Slow, explosive, and expensive. These drones are equipped with missiles and can be used to add bursts of firepower to an engagement, will need to be reloaded by landing after their small stock of ammunition runs out. Fighters can destroy these easily if they make it through the missiles!
  • Heavy - Stronger, slower, and cheap. The heavy drones are best used against immobile or slow targets. Fighters will destroy these easily!
  • Interceptor - Fast, fragile, and expensive. Interceptors survive by evading fire and dogfighting.
Drone Details:
Mark 2 - Supposed to require appropriate faction general equipment license, but it looks like the game ignores that.
  • Interceptor - Fast, agile, stronger weapons, and made of tissue paper. The powerful engines come at a cost.
  • Heavy - All around upgrade to the Mk1 drone in all respects, can take more hits and dish more damage, but is still slow and clumsy.
Mark 3 - Supposed to require appropriate faction military equipment license, but it looks like the game ignores that.
  • Argon - The Argon marine division created the Mk3A with its integrated ion cannon to assist in boarding operations and disabling pirate vessels.
  • Paranid - Finding drones slow and AI targeting weak, the Paranid military attempted to merge lasertowers with mobility and designed the Mk3P with its beam cannon weaponry.
  • Teladi - In a natural progression from the pulse laser, the Teladi ministry of science bolted on more hull plating and slapped in a light gatling cannon for their Mk3T.
  • Xenon - The Xenon Mk3X appears to have been equipped with a stock Xenon laser used on most small Xenon fighters.
Mark 4 - Supposed to require appropriate faction military equipment license, but it looks like the game ignores that.
  • Argon - Upon recognizing the devastating potential of the Xenon Drone Mk3X, the Argon military quickly developed their own equivalent autonomous launcher with light heat seeking missiles as a counter.
  • Paranid - Requiring heavier hitting weapons for their drones, the Paranid adapted their plasma technology to a heavy drone chassis to create the dangerous Mk4P.
  • Teladi - Recognizing that their enemies value speed and will always get in close anyways, the ministry of science developed the heavy drone Mk4T with a powerful close-range spread shot laser.
  • Xenon - The Mk4X was a shock to the Argon expeditionary forces when they started launching swarm missiles into the fray, destroying several Behemoths before the retreat was called.
Mark 5 - Supposed to require appropriate faction capship equipment license, but it looks like the game ignores that.
  • Argon - Further refining the Mk4A, the experimental Mk5A is designed from the ground up to destroy stations and capital vessels with light torpedoes.
  • Paranid - The Paranid science divisions have equipped the Mk5P with an experimental railgun while they try to develop containment procedures that would allow living creatures to be on the same ship firing the weapon.
  • Teladi - Feedback surges, radiation pulses, an runaway reactions have plagued the charge cannon equipped on the Teladi Mk5T. Too dangerous for lifeform usage, even by Teladi standards, it is perfect for a heavy drone.
  • Xenon - The Mk5X is assumed to be an upgraded version of the Mk4X, but none have lived to provide precise information.
Compatibility
Will be compatible with everything as it only adds new drones, loadouts, and wares. No changes to weapons, shields, etc and will just combine flawlessly with vanilla or any overhaul mod like Aggressive AI, FOCW, and Rebalanced Shields and Weapons.

Download
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/269

Release Notes
Spoiler
Show
1.1 Changes
  • Mk3A, Mk4T, and Mk3-5P have been switched over to be interceptor drones, sacrificing hull and cost for speed. Roughly double speed, half hull, and a 30% price hike.
  • Mk3-5X are now interceptors with heavy hulls, their better AI understanding lets them make sturdier fast drones...and the Xenon need all the help they can get :p
  • Mk4-5A missile drones have had a 20% cost increase due to their effectiveness.
  • Mk2 drone now comes in interceptor or heavy versions, your choice between speed+cost and survivability (engines cost more than armor!). All old Mk2's have been converted to the more costly interceptor version.
  • Most drones have had minor speed increases.
  • Drones are now named by purpose to easily see which drones are for interception (interceptor), stationary/slow target attack (heavy), or missile barrages (bomber).
  • Language files added so other languages can be supported for naming and description (all use the English text right now)
Last edited by 7ate9tin11s on Sun, 20. Jan 19, 21:15, edited 4 times in total.

Requiemfang
x4

Re: [WIP] Drone Variety

Post by Requiemfang » Sat, 5. Jan 19, 19:41

Imma call it here and now... Dronepocalyse :P

jmattspartacus2

Post by jmattspartacus2 » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 04:53

Just out of curiosity, have you managed to get any of the drones ingame and working yet? I haven't played much with drone modding but it's a very interesting concept to me if we can get some custom drone behaviors and scripts in the future.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 05:35

jmattspartacus2 wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 04:53
Just out of curiosity, have you managed to get any of the drones ingame and working yet? I haven't played much with drone modding but it's a very interesting concept to me if we can get some custom drone behaviors and scripts in the future.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is working well in the current state. The drones are basically ships without a cockpit which explains why they are much smaller in size compared to pretty much all the S sized ships. Loadouts for them seem modular like the ships, only the player doesn't have the option of choosing what parts drones use.

Hence why this mod I think is being made.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 17:05

jmattspartacus2 wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 04:53
Yep, drones are working fine. For now they are all just copy/pastes of the existing drone model with different weapons and adjusted stats. I considered using the scout fighter models for the racial drones, but tearing out their cockpits so they are not player-pilotable was painful and made them look odd.

cdeeks
x3tc

Post by cdeeks » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 17:22

Sounds very promising, let me know if you require beta testers. I would be more than happy to test this for you.

jmattspartacus2

Post by jmattspartacus2 » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 04:13

Alright, I am interested to see how things progress, I've been thinking on trying to add some custom modeled drones and I've got a few ship models ready, just need to do textures and other prerequisite things.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 04:48

cdeeks wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 17:22
Sounds very promising, let me know if you require beta testers. I would be more than happy to test this for you.
jmattspartacus2 wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 04:13
Alright, I am interested to see how things progress, I've been thinking on trying to add some custom modeled drones and I've got a few ship models ready, just need to do textures and other prerequisite things.
The current build is now available as an optional file under AggressiveAI (https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=files), I know it uses them and puts them on all major race ships appropriately but have not had much testing time today. Things I would like to have confirmed if you have a moment:
  • Can you buy them at appropriate shipyards with the right license?
  • How does the prices look?
  • Do pirates have a mix of all drone types?
Thanks!

KRM398
xr

Re: [Mod][beta] Drone Variety v0.9

Post by KRM398 » Wed, 16. Jan 19, 14:31

So are you not bringing it out as a separate mod now? :roll:

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Wed, 16. Jan 19, 15:26

KRM398 wrote:
Wed, 16. Jan 19, 14:31
Works fine without the AI mod, I had to remove the AI mod since issues, some of them funny pop up in the beta branch of the game.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 16. Jan 19, 19:24

Requiemfang wrote:
Wed, 16. Jan 19, 15:26
KRM398 wrote:
Wed, 16. Jan 19, 14:31
Works fine without the AI mod, I had to remove the AI mod since issues, some of them funny pop up in the beta branch of the game.
<looks at tumbleweeds>

With the overwhelming amount of feedback, I just thought noone liked or was interested in the idea. :roll:

No reason to release personal mods when noone wants them, ya know.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 16. Jan 19, 20:00

Let me cast my vote for a separate release then, if it is easy to do. :)
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Wed, 16. Jan 19, 23:39

got your mods both the drone mod and the rapid docking mod, had a Cerberus before this with a few generic drones on it and after getting it set up and running did some attacks on xenon and khaak this afternoon. now theres 2 drones out there just sitting, one says his orders are to follow the other drone, that other one says its orders are to belong to my Cerberus, neither one will dock one I removed all orders from and then ordered it to dock, ran in to 200 meters and sat there says its waiting on docking clearance..ahahah :roll: my ship has 2 lights running on the dock not 4 and nothing will dock now.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 16. Jan 19, 23:39

StormMagi wrote:
Wed, 16. Jan 19, 20:00
Done.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 16. Jan 19, 23:44

KRM398 wrote:
Wed, 16. Jan 19, 23:39
got your mods both the drone mod and the rapid docking mod, had a Cerberus before this with a few generic drones on it and after getting it set up and running did some attacks on xenon and khaak this afternoon. now theres 2 drones out there just sitting, one says his orders are to follow the other drone, that other one says its orders are to belong to my Cerberus, neither one will dock one I removed all orders from and then ordered it to dock, ran in to 200 meters and sat there says its waiting on docking clearance..ahahah :roll: my ship has 2 lights running on the dock not 4 and nothing will dock now.
Rapid docking is screwy, not including it with the main release as it can mess things up like that. Sometimes a save/reload will fix, othertimes your out a drone :doh:

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 17. Jan 19, 01:11

7ate9tin11s wrote:
Wed, 16. Jan 19, 23:44
KRM398 wrote:
Rapid docking is screwy, not including it with the main release as it can mess things up like that. Sometimes a save/reload will fix, othertimes your out a drone :doh:
About Rapid docking? does it work with stations as well? and if it does does rapid docking affect NPC's? I'm running into an issue in the game where I'm sitting on a station and the station decides to launch all drones on a enemy this makes my ship get stored internally, more annoying part of it is trying to call the ship to dock so I can get onboard and undock from the station except the station is flooded with drone docking commands preventing my ship from being moved out of the internal storage, you think anyone would like sitting around several minutes to wait for drones to dock, I most certainly don't. I do not understand why egosoft had to design drones or stations for that matter to use the same docking platform as ships, reason why is the one I just listed in this post. Drones should have their own docking module separate from normal ship docks.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Thu, 17. Jan 19, 01:24

Requiemfang wrote:
Thu, 17. Jan 19, 01:11
About Rapid docking? does it work with stations as well? and if it does does rapid docking affect NPC's? I'm running into an issue in the game where I'm sitting on a station and the station decides to launch all drones on a enemy this makes my ship get stored internally, more annoying part of it is trying to call the ship to dock so I can get onboard and undock from the station except the station is flooded with drone docking commands preventing my ship from being moved out of the internal storage, you think anyone would like sitting around several minutes to wait for drones to dock, I most certainly don't. I do not understand why egosoft had to design drones or stations for that matter to use the same docking platform as ships, reason why is the one I just listed in this post. Drones should have their own docking module separate from normal ship docks.
Rapid docking was set to work with stations at all. It is pretty easy to make it work with stations if you want to though. Just edit the files in aiscripts and change (they are just text files so use notepad or similar):

Code: Select all

<stuff>.isclass.[class.ship_m, class.ship_l, class.ship_xl]
to

<stuff>.isclass.[class.ship_m, class.ship_l, class.ship_xl, class.station]
in both of them. Now it will use rapid docking/undocking at stations as well...should work fine :sceptic:

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 17. Jan 19, 01:56

7ate9tin11s wrote:
Thu, 17. Jan 19, 01:24
Requiemfang wrote:
Rapid docking was set to work with stations at all. It is pretty easy to make it work with stations if you want to though. Just edit the files in aiscripts and change (they are just text files so use notepad or similar):

to

in both of them. Now it will use rapid docking/undocking at stations as well...should work fine :sceptic:
Alright awesome.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 17. Jan 19, 04:22

7ate9tin11s wrote:
Thu, 17. Jan 19, 01:24
Requiemfang wrote:

to

Just another question about this, is there a way to have this done specifically for drones to dock with stations? cause from what I can tell from that mods description that affects all S-class ships correct?

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Thu, 17. Jan 19, 04:29

7ate9tin11s wrote:
StormMagi wrote:
Wed, 16. Jan 19, 20:00
Done.
Sweet. Off to nexus then!
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”