[6.20] L ships in high traffic area ram a lot

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

[6.20] L ships in high traffic area ram a lot

Post by LameFox » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 03:07

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cvM5vT ... sp=sharing

I have a high traffic mining station here, with a layout similar to the Terran Hex dock but made up of smaller 1 pier docks to get an extra 2 slots in. This has caused quite a high volume of L ships to be present around the station, and accidentally created conditions to illustrate something I've often observed with L ships: they don't seem to mind slowly ramming one another.

If you load into this and go to the external view of the station, you will probably see this in action fairly soon and frequently.

1. a ship will be moving slowly to a desired docking position, find another ship in its path, and simply fly into it like it wasn't there.

2. a ship arriving in travel drive stops exactly at the end of the pier, where another ship is still trying to undock, causing collision.

These then sit there rubbing against each other for a bit, until either they glance off or teleport away. Often once it begins, others will hit the two original ships. You may even see them sometimes flicker back and forth, with the game seemingly undecided if they should teleport or not.

Given the abundance of room and the similarity of this layout to a pre-existing dock shape I thought it would work a bit cleaner than this. Ideally in regular flight I think on sensing a ship in their way they really ought to either find a path around it—in this case over or under are usually quite free and unobstructed—or wait for it to go away. Not just path directly into it. And since piers have that very very long exclusion zone when you build one, I'm kind of surprised the ships arriving in travel drive don't aim at the far end of that and then approach down that defined channel. Those leaving could then (at least in this case) fly outside the channel, either between docks or above/below.

In this case the ships are even of a size that the docking channel could have in/out lanes, but I'm not sure whether it's big enough for some XL ships to do that.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Re: [6.20] L ships in high traffic area ram a lot

Post by LameFox » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 03:29

Some of this teleporting is also outright insane. These three screenshots show a ship arriving in travel drive, hitting a ship trying to dock, and getting teleported way back out into the distance. And this *repeated*. The ship was still coming in at travel drive speeds, would hit the same ship, and get teleported back the same way, only to continue doing this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kj3n5G ... sp=sharing

edit: it's actually still happening with those same two ships. The docking ship cannot dock, because it keeps getting hit by the arriving ship, which then Groundhog Day's its way back to where it started and does it again. I'm curious to see how long this could go on but I think I'll go somewhere else so this station actually works.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 14:08

Been watching this station again in 7.0

I have seen some improvements: ships arriving in travel drive less often smack right into something, and they are (very marginally) more willing to go up or down to get around one another.

Unfortunately, they still seem to cluster around the ends of the docks, getting into tangled messes that eventually result in ramming despite their slightly more vigorous efforts to avoid it. I circled two such groups in this screencap: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19iz3P0 ... sp=sharing

By the time I'm posting this new groups have also formed under similar circumstances so I think if you keep watching them in 7.0 you'll find they readily reproduce this. I think a loose attempt at ingoing and outgoing 'lanes' might help here even if it's not strictly enforced to account for ships that are too big for that to work. They might at least flow a little better if they have a defined U shape to fly in and then out.
***modified***

user1679

Post by user1679 » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 06:29

I've been seeing this in 6.20 with my L and XL ships bumping into each other or even other ships while in travel mode. For whatever reason my ships won't stay in "V" formation and often a faster ship in the back will ram into the lead ship but a few times I've actually had another faction bump into me while in travel if I'm passing by a station. It takes about 5 minutes of spinning wildly to get back on course.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”