I can't move! (Steam Deck linux client, first person, no movement at all)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

FloppyUK

I can't move! (Steam Deck linux client, first person, no movement at all)

Post by FloppyUK » Wed, 7. Jun 23, 23:10

Somehow I've got stuck. In first person mode, I can't move around at all. The controls just suddenly... stopped. Everything else works - all the menus, map controls, all that is fine. It's JUST first person movement - I'm stuck in whichever elevator I happen to teleport into.

What's strange is that if I start a new game, or use the station design simulator, I CAN move as normal! It seems to be something specific to this particular playthrough.

Things I've tried:
  • Teleported to different ships/stations - Works, but I'm stuck where I appear
  • Using "Go To Ship" while docked - Same as above
  • Reloading default control config - nothing
  • Resetting all settings to default - nothing
  • Binding the chat window toggle and turning it on and off - nothing
  • Disabled as many mods as I can without breaking my save, including everything I’ve installed recently - nothing
  • Changing the deck controller config - nothing
  • Rebooting all the things - nothing
This also affects older saves. If I load one where I'm sure I was able to move, I can't. If I load one where I'm in the pilot seat, I can fly and control the ship! But as soon as I get up... stuck.

Anyone got any clues? I've searched and searched, tried everything I found, but drawn a complete blank.

I'll post a link to my savegame later on once I get it off the Deck, though as it's modded (nothing to do with input though) and a new game doesn't do it, I imagine there won't be a lot anyone can do...

Version: latest Linux client via Steam, will verify exact version shortly once the deck charges :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: I can't move! (Steam Deck linux client, first person, no movement at all)

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 12:16

I think what is happening is that sometimes when you teleport to another ship (the Yaki Moreya is very prone to this) or into a station elevator, you can arrive a bit too low down and stuck in the floor and unable to move. Usually, teleporting away (or Shift-D) works (although not each and every time) yet you say that your case has become teleport- and save-persistent - which is very unusual, if not unique to your game and system.

I don't know enough about Steam Deck or Linux to say if they are likely factors, but even a hint of 3rd party mods is not entirely helpful to investigation. Have you verified your game installation since the last changes?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

FloppyUK

Post by FloppyUK » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 14:54

Thanks Alan, I think you're probably right; I was thinking it was a control thing, but I think I remember there being a slight downwards movement sometimes, so I could well be a bit low down and stuck in the floor. I'll keep investigating and trying to get to some sort of vanilla state so that I can share a save file that replicates it cleanly.

You've also made me think though, perhaps there's some sort of noclip mod that could release me. Off to investigate!

FloppyUK

Post by FloppyUK » Sat, 10. Jun 23, 12:17

Alan, you're right. Whenever I teleport, I drop down a little bit just after I arrive, I can see it happen. Trying to move before I drop doesn't help; I even tried teleporting into a ship, getting it blown up, and ending up in my spacesuit, thinking that might reset it. But, then I end up in the same place when I teleport back to a ship or station. I've not tried manual docking yet once I end up in the suit... maybe that's next.

Is there a place to edit the player position in the save file? I can't see anything that looks like a 3d coordinate for the player that I could add a little bit of Z to, but I figure there must be something somewhere?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 10. Jun 23, 20:24

We really don't want save edits discussed here anyway. Hopefully we can give the devs enough gameplay evidence to finally fix the problem for future releases. The issue was probably introduced with the new Jolt physics and just needs the 'sudden realisation moment' that allows the devs to understand and fix it.

Because of the new physics, similar-symptom version 4.00 threads are unlikely to be relevant now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

FloppyUK

Post by FloppyUK » Sat, 10. Jun 23, 22:03

Fair enough, I'm a fairly new player and didn't realise physics had been updated since then. My final attempt at unjolting myself by docking after forcing myself into the space suit didn't work either, sadly. I think that save is done for; how frustrating.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”