[BUG/Behavior] Getting out of your ship close to other ships causes it to freak out indefinitely.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Valkerion
x4

[BUG/Behavior] Getting out of your ship close to other ships causes it to freak out indefinitely.

Post by Valkerion » Wed, 7. Jun 23, 17:33

I don't recall ever having this issue on the pre 6.0 versions of the game, whenever I had to get out of my ship to repair, claim an abandoned ship, or so on, I would do so extremely close as you would expect, to avoid spaceflight in space suit. Now every time I get out of my ship with no command except "hold position" near an abandoned ship, satellite, what have you, my ship will immediately begin erratically trying to reach an unreachable point (trying to flatten but also trying to avoid collision), it seems, video attached.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... sition.mp4

Part of this seems to be the desire of ship in hold position to want to flip over aligned to the plane but being blocked by collision avoidance. Though I'm not sure why a ship in "hold position" even needs to level out to the plane at all. Maybe I remember wrong, but I don't remember old version's "hold position" moving the ship at all? Either way that would be preferable than ship aligning to plane every time on hold position.

I imagine many people encounter this and would not be fun for the player without the ability to teleport back into their ship.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [BUG/Behavior] Getting out of your ship close to other ships causes it to freak out indefinitely.

Post by CBJ » Wed, 7. Jun 23, 17:36

We can't diagnose what's happening from a video. Please provide the information requested in the "Please read this before posting!" thread right at the top of the forum, including your version, whether or not it's modified, your DXDiag and vulkaninfo, and a link to your savegame.

Valkerion
x4

Re: [BUG/Behavior] Getting out of your ship close to other ships causes it to freak out indefinitely.

Post by Valkerion » Sun, 25. Jun 23, 02:08

That was vanilla, 6.10 MTS beta. It happened 100% of the time when exiting my ships very close to another one for two months of play during MTS.

At some point I last played, all my settings were reverted and I turned off "collision avoidance" to put my settings back to how I thought they were. It must have been on before as that triggers the ships to freak out, with it off they generally level out just fine.

A combination of behaviors seems to be what I was experiencing when exiting pilot seat near an object, ship, abandoned ship or wreck;
A) When leaving seat, pilot wants to immediately rotate the craft to be level with plane
B) The pilot also wants to avoid collision with nearby craft/object and often flies wildly to do both this and (A)
C) I am playing without "Wait for signal" when getting up from chair, so pilots can immediately resume their tasks without my input when I switch to allied ships as I often do with teleporting.
D) "Collision avoidance" setting seems to be what causes (B), otherwise ship just levels off pretty much fine.
Last edited by Valkerion on Sun, 25. Jun 23, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Fri, 7. Jul 23, 07:03

I think this is related to a physics / collision issue. I noticed that if I exit to my spacesuit from my Elite Sentinel, sometimes I will bump into the ship and send it and myself flying 20 km from where we were. Unfortunately because there's no "come pick me up" command, it's faster for me to just reload the save rather than fly 20 km in the spacesuit :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 7. Jul 23, 13:51

If you have a reserve pilot in charge, you can get your ship to fly to close to your position in the map - but that is not really relevant to this thread topic. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”