[#962] 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own - Major mods - but Explained.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

wazbuz
x4

[#962] 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own - Major mods - but Explained.

Post by wazbuz » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 04:29

I posted this on reddit and will link to it in a reply to the dev who asked for my save game: Order_of_Azeroth.

In the "Suspicious Split" mission I can't satisfy first mission task even though I have tried with 2 different S size ships. The first mission task is to "Take control of ship: S-sized". I have two small ships: a Gladius Sentinel fighter and the Moreya (Yaki) fighter Geometric Owl from the covert missions. When I take control of either of these ships the first mission task isn't satisfied. I also read that there is a point later in this mission where some people have gotten stuck because there isn't enough space on the ship for the Split passenger but I'm nowhere near that point yet. Also, I did make sure to check that anyway and removed all other crew from the ship then took control of each again to check - but still no change in the mission status.

Here is a link to the save game:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtO8E5erHccVoMpMRQK ... w?e=5zfDwe

Version and language
- 5.x (latest from Steam) English

Whether or not your game is modified using any third-party scripts or mods (see note below).
- Yes, its modded. I don't know how I would reproduce it in a vanilla game setting though without restarting the game and playing through it all again, because one of the mods, the XR ship pack can't be removed with running saves. You have to start again. I didn't know that before I installed it.

Game start being played.
- Terran Cadet

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 10:44

Without knowing how your mods affect the game it is really hard to help. I do know that some mods, including the XR ship pack, have issues in 6.00 betas before any updating by the authors. All I can say is that this plot element worked fine for me in the 5.10 vanilla game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

wazbuz
x4

Re: 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own

Post by wazbuz » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 17:43

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 21. Mar 23, 10:44
Without knowing how your mods affect the game it is really hard to help. I do know that some mods, including the XR ship pack, have issues in 6.00 betas before any updating by the authors. All I can say is that this plot element worked fine for me in the 5.10 vanilla game.
So, AFAIK the only mod I can't remove is the XR ship pack mod. What kind of mod would interfere with triggering a plot from the Split DLC, but not affect all the other myriad plots stemming from the Terran Cadet? That might narrow down the number of mods that I need to disable. Otherwise, I can just disable EVERY mod except for the XR ship pack to see if I can move beyond the first task.

Also, I do have a LOT of Xenon in many sectors of my map. On two occasions now I have ran into heavy Xenon resistance where walkthroughs by others have shown no Xenon at all. In one case a mission NPC I was supposed to meet was on a station that was under siege by 3 Xenon branch 9 destroyers and was blown up. Fortunately, a short while after that the covert ops director connected me again to tell me the NPC had relocated somewhere else in the sector that didn't have a jeavy Xenon presence. Maybe the Split contact's station was also destroyed?

I was asked by a moderator/developer on reddit for the game save posted so maybe they have a recommendation.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own - Major mods.

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 17:55

We don't know if or which mods might interfere in that way, but what we do know is that the devs probably cannot load a majorly modified game save onto their vanilla system for investigation and expect the saved game to run properly or even at all.

Unless you can somehow notify the person who said they would assist you and give a thread link, they might not be looking out for your thread. I would suggest that you try that first.

wazbuz
x4

Re: 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own - Major mods.

Post by wazbuz » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 18:10

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 21. Mar 23, 17:55
We don't know if or which mods might interfere in that way, but what we do know is that the devs probably cannot load a majorly modified game save onto their vanilla system for investigation and expect the saved game to run properly or even at all.

Unless you can somehow notify the person who said they would assist you and give a thread link, they might not be looking out for your thread. I would suggest that you try that first.
I see you're point on someone trying to load it without having the mods. Maybe they are going to uncompress and just view it to find plot triggers in the save? And I did get a ping back from them on it and they noted they saw my link to this forum post so we're good there. I decided to open a forum ticket primarily to give that dev access, but also thought that other devs and users could have suggestions too.

wazbuz
x4

Post by wazbuz » Wed, 22. Mar 23, 05:01

More information on what I've tried this time:

I tried disabling all of the mods except the ship pack mods, which won't let me load saves if I do. After that the mission still won't recognize that I'm in a small ship. I then tried disabling the Split DLC hoping it would refresh the missions, but the saves become incompatible, and I can't load any of my existing save games.

I've also noticed that when I talk to Dal he only has 3 dialog options. The first is the "Paranid Civil War" but that's now greyed out and unselectable. The second option is the Split mission dialog option, but when I click that now nothing happens. Its active but there's no dialog started. The last option is an Exit dialog option. So, the Paranid Civil war dialog is disabled, and the Split mission dialog just fails to open. Of course, when I first saw Dal for these plotlines following him showing at the PHQ I went through both dialog options fully. It was after that they became inactive or not working.

Is there a debug log that I can enable that will log what happens at that point in the game?

Edit: The Paranid Civil War" dialog is supposed to be disabled until I get my rep up with one of the two factions.

izalith
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by izalith » Wed, 22. Mar 23, 13:37

Hello,

the mission is trying to find a target station in split dlc sectors which allows you to dock. It keeps retrying about every 10 minutes (613s), but due to your game state cannot find a proper station.

In the script Ch1_Suspicious_Set_Stations is failing to set $TargetContainer, so it tries again later. Apparently out of 334 possible stations with a docking relation towards you, not one is in the Split DLC sectors. Once you improve your relations with one of the factions livning there, or once one of the factions which allow you to dock builds a station there, the story will notice this after latest 10 minutes and continue.

It is of course not nice that it just looks bugged without telling players what's going on or helping in any way, i.e. through spawning a story station or so.

wazbuz
x4

Re: [#962] 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own - Major mods - but Explained.

Post by wazbuz » Wed, 22. Mar 23, 16:44

Thanks for the tip!! I'll try that out as soon as I can. I'll fly to the split zones and find a station that I can do chores for until it lets me land, then wait 10 minutes and hopefully it will resolve my problem. It's possible that the Xenon have chewed up any stations in split space that I could have befriended. I will roll back to a suitable save. In regards to this i do see messages like this in the debug log:

Line 9605: [=ERROR=] 704632.14 Context:md.FactionLogic.MinistryOfFinanceFactionLogic_Manager.Find_Faction_Headquarters: No suitable location for Ministry of Finance HQ found!
Line 9608: [=ERROR=] 704632.14 Context:md.FactionLogic.HolyOrderFactionLogicFactionLogic_Manager.Find_Faction_Headquarters: No suitable location for Holy Order of the Pontifex HQ found!
Line 9611: [=ERROR=] 704632.14 Context:md.FactionLogic.SplitFactionLogic_Manager.Find_Faction_Headquarters: No suitable location for Zyarth Patriarchy HQ found!

FYI for everyone, I tried editing the save game. I edited this section of the savegame to set the active objective step in the briefing and the mission to the "talkto" step instead.

Code: Select all

<mission id="233400" active="1" priority="20" name="Suspicious Split" description="In order to influence Split politics and society, you need to be well connected within the realm. With the patriarchal court being too aloof and isolated to interfere, you aim to learn more about the Free Families.[\012][\012]Dal found a Split who regularly travels to and from Split space, often under different names. He ought to be well connected and a helpful associate to have. Make contact and find out what he knows, and where his allegiances lie." icon="briefing_fau_t_nnt_01" caption="Nau t'Hnt" faction="player" type="plot" level="easy" rewardtext="A Friend among the Split" abortable="0">
	<briefing>
		<objective step="1" type="embark" text="S-Sized Ship"/>
		<objective step="2" type="talkto" text="Suspicious Split" active="1"/>
		<objective step="3" type="transport" text="Suspicious Split"/>
	</briefing>
	<objective step="[b]2[/b]" type="talkto" text="[b]Suspicious Split"/>
</mission>
I unzipped, edited and gzipped the XML save (any other zip format will fail to load) and I copied it back to the save directory. After loading, I found I had successfully moved the mission to the next step, the pickup phase. BUT there was still no guidance to the Split NPC to pick up -- and that is most definitely because of what you have said about there being no station I can land on. As noted, I will roll back to a pre-edited save and try befriending a new faction first.

As you say it would be better to place him on ANY station in those new sectors, provide guidance to that station and let me work out how to land there. I had to do the same thing for the "bribery" quest and kill criminals until I could get enough rep with ANT to land at the station to talk to him. In fact, I have an outstanding, PAR mission where I have to get friendly with one of two new factions in Split space so maybe if I'd started that I would have had one of those to land at - assuming they count in terms of the stations that the Split NPC contact can be placed at.

wazbuz
x4

Re: [#962] 5.x BUG "Suspicious Split" mission will not start with S-size ships I own - Major mods - but Explained.

Post by wazbuz » Thu, 23. Mar 23, 06:23

izalith wrote:
Wed, 22. Mar 23, 13:37
In the script Ch1_Suspicious_Set_Stations is failing to set $TargetContainer, so it tries again later. Apparently out of 334 possible stations with a docking relation towards you, not one is in the Split DLC sectors. Once you improve your relations with one of the factions livning there, or once one of the factions which allow you to dock builds a station there, the story will notice this after latest 10 minutes and continue.
RESOLVED

That worked izalith! I upped my reputation with the Paranid, since I want to do the Paranid plot next anyway, and he appeared on a Paranid station. I've picked him up and delivered him and the plot continues without further hiccup.

Mystershow
x4

Post by Mystershow » Tue, 1. Aug 23, 20:11

I do have the same issue and cannot resolve it unfortunately

I'll propably play without activating the quest for the time being

At least, I do have an understanding of what could be the cause

I've tried the bêta, editing the save, etc.. but it doesn't seem to work

I think it could be an issue with one the mod, propably XRSGE since it modifies quite heavily the map, the sector and the stations

I'll see in the future

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 1. Aug 23, 20:53

@ Mystershow: This far on in time and game versions since the thread was first made, I would start a new thread and supply the needed information.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”