[5.10 HF3] BUG: Save got modified tag without warning or using mods

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Caedes91
x4

[5.10 HF3] BUG: Save got modified tag without warning or using mods

Post by Caedes91 » Mon, 28. Nov 22, 15:39

5.10HF3
Unmodded
Language: English
Gamestart: Terran Cadet
DLC: SV,CoH,ToA

My save for some reason got the "modified" tag even though I completely play vanilla. Not related to the game, but I remember, that at that day, my PC crashed midgame (BSOD).
I suspect, that this somehow caused my game to get modified, but I'm not sure.

Also, only if you have time, can you check, why my Teutas cannot find raw scrap in Heretic's End and Family Nhuut? In the past, I made a topic for this issue, but did not hear back:
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=449620

But most importantly, can you please fix my save? I cannot fall back on an earlier save, because I only used quicksave. All autosaves are modified too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A7cFsR ... share_link

Thanks in advance.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [5.10 HF3] BUG: Save got modified tag without warning or using mods

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Nov 22, 16:12

Egosoft can't fix saves unfortunately. Also threads here are only to deal with the thread title issue.

While it could be that any power, hardware or driver issue causing that BSOD may also result in a corrupted game save in progress, you should have received a warning in-game that your save was seen as modified when you next tried to load it to play and before you kept saving more modified saves. Did that not happen when you restarted after the BSOD?

For safety, have you verified your game installation since the issue? The gamefiles on the drive should not have been affected by a BSOD unless it was an issue with the drive that was involved.

It might be worth clearing any local caches or recent Steam Cloud backup in case they contain corrupted data.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Mon, 28. Nov 22, 16:28

I verified the game files through steam, but no faulty game files.
There was never a warning after the restart. If there was I wouldn't have let it go for four autosaves.

Very tragic, that the modified tag cannot be removed. Stayed vanilla for so long, because I wanted to wait for a comeback of the ventures or alternative.
Uninstalled.

Thanks for replying regardless.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Nov 22, 19:36

Caedes91 wrote:
Mon, 28. Nov 22, 15:39
My save for some reason got the "modified" tag even though I completely play vanilla. Not related to the game, but I remember, that at that day, my PC crashed midgame (BSOD).
I suspect, that this somehow caused my game to get modified, but I'm not sure.
Was this while saving the game? Or did the game crash mid-gameplay (aka not saving)? As long as it is not mid-save it shouldn't affect your savegame.
Perhaps use a program to check your harddrive for problems. Just in case.

If your game becomes modified during gameplay (usually by having a corrupt game asset file), a warning should pop up and tell you about it.
Of course, if the save file corruption might have happened at the moment of the BSOD, there could have been no opportunity for X4 to display said error message in-game.
Also, only if you have time, can you check, why my Teutas cannot find raw scrap in Heretic's End and Family Nhuut? In the past, I made a topic for this issue, but did not hear back:
As far as I remember this is an already known problem, with the wrecks not existing while the player is not present. I think they have fixed it in a future update.

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Mon, 28. Nov 22, 20:43

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Mon, 28. Nov 22, 19:36
Was this while saving the game? Or did the game crash mid-gameplay (aka not saving)? As long as it is not mid-save it shouldn't affect your savegame.
Perhaps use a program to check your harddrive for problems. Just in case.

If your game becomes modified during gameplay (usually by having a corrupt game asset file), a warning should pop up and tell you about it.
Of course, if the save file corruption might have happened at the moment of the BSOD, there could have been no opportunity for X4 to display said error message in-game.
The crash did not happen while saving. After restarting the PC, and getting back into the game, my save was still not modified. I could tell, because when loading it from the main menu, I saw no modified tag.
Then I played as usual without seeing a warning. While playing, the game autosaved several times and then I decided to go to bed. Since it was late, I just hit quicksave and exited the game immediately. Only today, after booting up the game to continue, I noticed, that they all got the tag now.

Is it really not possible for any dev to remove the tag? I assumed, it was just some kind of a hidden flag in the .xml, that needs to be removed/set to 0?
As far as I remember this is an already known problem, with the wrecks not existing while the player is not present. I think they have fixed it in a future update.
Glad that this issue finally gets fixed :)
Was very confusing and made me triple check until finally giving up

LennStar
x4

Post by LennStar » Tue, 27. Dec 22, 17:24

The tag could be a result of corrupted save.
Make sure to exclude your save (and for safety game) folders from the virus scanner - I got 2 50h+ games corrupted until I found that out.

If you ever get a galaxy with sectors missing, you know it was that.
:idea: BUG REPORT INFO: I play X4 vanilla. You can find all my bug report files in there:
All X4 files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/83j3cjfhkdlf ... w6HLa?dl=0

Flashand
x4

Post by Flashand » Tue, 27. Dec 22, 19:32

from what i have seen if you accidentally hit the tilde ~ key you will be modified.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 27. Dec 22, 20:02

@ Flashand: The tilde key (neither # nor Shift+#), which are by default related to the chat window, if operated in-game do not affect modified status for the game nor subsequent saves in my fully-updated vanilla game. There must be more situational factors in your case if you are seeing this happen frequently.

Scarletian
x4

Post by Scarletian » Wed, 4. Jan 23, 07:37

Caedes91 wrote:
Mon, 28. Nov 22, 16:28
I verified the game files through steam, but no faulty game files.
There was never a warning after the restart. If there was I wouldn't have let it go for four autosaves.

Very tragic, that the modified tag cannot be removed. Stayed vanilla for so long, because I wanted to wait for a comeback of the ventures or alternative.
Uninstalled.

Thanks for replying regardless.
I recently started playing again after hearing about the Boron DLC. Now my save game is also 'modified' for some reason. Never even tried any mod or beta. Still on my very first start. Verified my files through Steam and restarted from an old, 'unmodified' save file. I played for an hour and then all the autosaves and every additional save after that were again, 'modified'. What is going on? Please help.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 4. Jan 23, 11:21

@ Scarletian: We can't really help as this is a thread about a modified tag after a BSOD and yours is a different issue entirely. You might find some useful information or advice in this thread and/or this lengthy old one, or you can start your own new thread and give the information requested in the 'Please read before posting' sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”