[#451]Linux All versions - Broken ui (especially menu items) when joystick connected - vid link to show

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spookywatcher

[#451]Linux All versions - Broken ui (especially menu items) when joystick connected - vid link to show

Post by spookywatcher » Sat, 10. Sep 22, 20:39

This has been going on since the very beginning. But I have sat on this problem because there were bigger problems to try and get the Devs to pay attention to. Let's hope they don't ignore this one.

This has been ALL versions since the beginning in Linux GOG installs. Not sure about Linux Steam versions. But the ui (especially in game menu items) is completely broken when connecting any joystick and launching the game. If no joystick is connected to the computer and you launch the game it behaves as expected. Once you connect a joystick... it goes to h*ll. It's tough to explain but I'll include a link to a video I made of the problem showing both cases (joystick and no joystick).

With a joystick connected (second half of the video)...look up at the top where the main menu items are in game. And look to the side of the menu items. Whenever you move the mouse keyboard commands pop up to the sides and are in sync with mouse movements. Again..tough to explain..but you'll see in the video.

Also when trying to deploy resource probes or laser towers etc...trying to click on the menu items is near impossible. Also trying to select a science project is near impossible. Again...you'll see in the video.

It's so tough to describe...but the vid is worth 10,000 words. And because it was so difficult to describe I sat on this until I could make and publish a video on it.

Let's hope the devs don't ignore this like they've ignored the other game breaking problems I've brought up before. Let's see how they handle this.

vid link showing the nature of the problem. https://youtu.be/9DZ3Uzs_LlM
Again first half shows normal expected behavior. Second half shows how borked it is. And it's been this way since ALL VERSIONS in Linux GOG installs.

ASCI Blue

Re: Linux All versions - Broken ui (especially menu items) when joystick connected - vid link to show

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 04:23

I have the same problem. As an experiment I flipped my mouse upside down so it couldn't provide input and the phantom inputs stopped. It looks like there's something that reads the mouse as always inputting. I don't remember how far back I played X4 in linux, running current 5.x from GOG in Garuda Zen 5.19 kernel and KDE Plasma something.

Rinne
x4

Re: Linux All versions - Broken ui (especially menu items) when joystick connected - vid link to show

Post by Rinne » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 15:04

I'm a bit late but hopefully not too late.

I had a similar issue with the game on the Linux Steam version before.
For me it turned out to be a broken joystick that was constantly sending input signals without any actual input.

That was with what is today the Thrustmaster T16000. I could fix it temporarily by cleaning the potentiometers, but ultimately had to get a new joystick because it kept coming back.

Do you have any tool to read the joystick input?

What Linux distribution are you on and what model is your joystick?

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 00:52

I use Garuda with KDE Plasma and have tested with joydev and whatever the newer software is, no input from the sticks unless I'm inputting it. I've got a Virpil MT50 base with Constellation Alpha grip and a VKB Gladiator K. I set a pretty large deadzone in game and I tried in Winders, it's not a joystick problem. In my case it seems as if the mouse is constantly taking input, if I remove my hands from my mouse and use my sticks's analogue stick as a simulated mouse the issue goes away.

Rinne
x4

Post by Rinne » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 17:42

Hmm okay, that's unfortunate :(

VKB Gladiator is what I use as well. No issues with the Steam version and KDE Plasma / X11.

Is there any interesting output when starting X4 from a terminal? Maybe it has issues separating the devices.
You could also try starting with

Code: Select all

-debug all -logfile debuglog.txt
to get additional debug info.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 07:03

no interesting data from Konsole, and my system failed to create a debug log.

sirprosik
x4

Re: [#451]Linux All versions - Broken ui (especially menu items) when joystick connected - vid link to show

Post by sirprosik » Wed, 14. Dec 22, 05:39

Only issue I have in Linux with my setup is that on stick throttle input does not work simultaneous when launching from ships decks or station docks.
Have to move the stick then play with the throttle.

I think the issue you are seeing here has to do with your control configuration in game. The Mouse has a lot of entries plugging in the device especially
VKB devices on default configuration has some really wild matchups. Like for example Z twist going to fire weapons etc.

I really wish we could delete single entries instead of 'auto overwriting' entries while using the mouse to change button configurations.
A zero configuration would be overkill as most of the settings are ok. Having to edit the config outside game to remove irritating button
settings should not be required and that is exactly what I have to do to make the game settings 'correct'.

When changing settings it is very difficult to see the popup dialog that setting is already enabled because it vanishes with a miss-mouse click as well.

ASCI Blue

Re: [#451]Linux All versions - Broken ui (especially menu items) when joystick connected - vid link to show

Post by ASCI Blue » Thu, 22. Dec 22, 06:12

I MAY have accidentally found a solution. I turned my mouse Confine to Window OFF and the inputs seem to have disappeared.

PGeyer-Ego
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by PGeyer-Ego » Tue, 28. Feb 23, 11:45

At first glance, this looks like the system is constantly getting updates from the joystick, switching the UI into controller mode, and then the mouse switches it back... it really shouldn't do this. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on and fix it. I had already seen this issue, but it didn't cause any actual problems, just annoying UI, and I thought it was just because I had a bunch of random controllers in to test.

beko
x4

Post by beko » Sat, 4. Mar 23, 23:45

Meh… for me the mouse cursor went invisible with a connected HOTAS. Cutting the power to it was getting old fast.

`evtest` confirmed that my X52 is sending _constant_ updates on throttle and sometimes axis even without touching it. Some jitter is always there.

Anyway, X4 completely ignores DEADZONES on this so any input signal will trigger the input override to joystick. Even with deadzones cranked up to 100%.

Setting option "Gamepad Mode" to OFF or Only With Controllers did the trick for me.

It was set to "For all Controllers/Joysticks" and with that setting it goes nuts on the mouse input.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Sun, 5. Mar 23, 20:04

for fun I decided to add some massive dead zones to the Virpil stick in the event that the ministick was interfering with things with no success.

Chris2000SP
x4

Post by Chris2000SP » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 02:12

Has anyone come up with a solution? In 6.0 the problem still exists. I thought it was the joystick, but now I know it's the game. Egosoft?

EDIT:
oh Sorry, i didn't read the couple of last posts.

EDIT:
I have a Saitek X52 Pro and a Thrustmaster T.16000m FCS.
I noticed also constantly updates in the drivers testings.
Mumble Server: mumble.coding4.coffee

PGeyer-Ego
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by PGeyer-Ego » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 09:15

Can I confirm that turning gamepad mode off fixes this issue?

Also, the joystick deadzone not functioning, I assume you're referring to the in game deazone setting and not one set in an external utility, am I right? I have a bunch of joystick/gamepad related issues already on my radar. I'll add this one to the list.

PG

Chris2000SP
x4

Post by Chris2000SP » Wed, 22. Mar 23, 17:47

To be clear. I mean the Saitek one, not the Thrustmaster. The Thrustmaster behaves normally.

EDIT:
I have double check that.

EDIT:
Gamepad Mode didn't fix it for me, because i want to use the mouse. I could use Stick only but that's impractically for using the menu.

Chris2000SP
x4

Post by Chris2000SP » Thu, 23. Mar 23, 22:49

Problem Soved on the last Update! Thx.

Chris2000SP
x4

Post by Chris2000SP » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 20:35

?!?

It's not solved. I had an issue with my Thrustmaster, then i updated my System and rebooted. Then it came back, the same story as on original Post.

EDIT:
Please the Thrustmaster works ok. The Saitek X52 Pro is bad not the other one

Chris2000SP
x4

Post by Chris2000SP » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 03:47

Sorry i had to write an update post. I found out what is all about "evdev" from the "xboxdrv" program. I confused it with the "x52evtest" program.

In "xboxdrv" i did not get constantly updates with this command:
xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/by-id/usb-Saitek_Saitek_X52_Pro_Flight_Control_System-event-joystick --evdev-debug

I do only get an update if touched or pressed button.

Is this right?

EDIT:
with "xboxdrv" running i get an virtual "xbox gamepad" device in X4 Foundations. That's cool.

EDIT:
"xboxdrv" is a kind of a hack to get the Saitek X52 Pro running in X4 Foundations, by simulating a Xbox Gamepad. I do not recommend this for people who want it running out of the box.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 04:48

PGeyer-Ego wrote:
Tue, 21. Mar 23, 09:15
Can I confirm that turning gamepad mode off fixes this issue?

Also, the joystick deadzone not functioning, I assume you're referring to the in game deazone setting and not one set in an external utility, am I right? I have a bunch of joystick/gamepad related issues already on my radar. I'll add this one to the list.

PG

I was speaking to setting deadzones in Virpil's software for the ministick on the constellation alpha.

The in game setting seems to be either 0 percent or 100 percent, I don't have a good way to test this so not sure if it warrants looking at.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 12:49

@ ASCI Blue: "The in game setting seems to be either 0 percent or 100 percent" That sounds as though you have an analogue device bound to a digital game input rather than the analogue input. So perhaps not a deadzone issue at all.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chris2000SP
x4

Post by Chris2000SP » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 20:05

My problem is exactly that what "spookywatcher" describes on Thread starting post with my Saitek X52 Pro.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”