Game no longer detects my graphics card

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lacju

Game no longer detects my graphics card

Post by Lacju » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 08:35

I'm having trouble launching the game on my laptop with AMD processor and NVIDIA GPU (3070). When trying to launch from Steam, Geforce Experience, or Game folder it tells me it can't detect a suitable GPU.

The game worked fine when I bought the PC in August with this issue first occurring around the 4.1 patch. I couldn't figure it out and got tired of messing with it and left it in the hopes it would be fixed. Trying to play today it's still a problem.

The game will launch if I go into the Asus controls and force the PC into integrated GPU mode but it runs like trash on the integrated AMD GPU and the game even warns me its running on an integrated GPU. If I use the Asus control panel to put the GPU into auto or dedicated only the game won't see the card.

Would really love some help with this because I'm just over messing with it and I've been wanting to play for months. I didn't do anything to the PC settings or configuration wise between the game working to it not working (other than normal windows, steam, X4, and Nvidia updates) and no other games or software have this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Game no longer detects my graphics card

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:02

I recommend supply a DXdiag and vulkaninfo listing. Those might help track down why X4 is not seeing the dedicated GPU. Specifically the discrete GPU must be visible in the vulkaninfo listing as that is what X4 uses to detect available GPUs.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:47

Type 'detect my graphics card' without the inverted commas into the exact phrase box of this forum search tool. The threads in the results may help you
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 11:10

Lacju wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 08:35
... Nvidia updates ...
This may be the issue. We've seen a number of reports of graphics card detection issues on systems that also have integrated graphics devices with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Lacju

Post by Lacju » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 04:54

Lacju

Post by Lacju » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 19:30

Would really love some support on this.

Again, this is the ONLY game in my steam or otherwise library that can't handle switchable graphics cards- I've already put at least 100 hours into X4 on this very PC without issues and all my drivers are up to date so at this point it feels very much like a game problem.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 21:59

See if anything in here helps you.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”