[BUG] Intense graphical glitch when looking at certain stations

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmithesith
x4

[BUG] Intense graphical glitch when looking at certain stations

Post by Jimmithesith » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 02:04

I have an intense graphical glitch when looking at certain stations...
https://imgur.com/a/43Wyte2 heres the glitch
It happens when i get within 15km of the station

https://pastebin.com/bGBu9Xuq Dxdiag

https://pastebin.com/ypw2eqNC vulkaninfo

I have 6gb dedicated VRAM so i dont see why it im having this glitch that, as i understand, is due to low GPU VRAM

I dont know what to do, this totally breaks the game for me. This is a station with a quest character too.

Im using a few mods on 4.10.

https://imgur.com/a/DV9UUxo modlist

I run 2 monitors, havent tried turning off my second monitor to save memory yet.

EDIT: edited my original post to contain as much details as i can provide.

kmunoz
x4

Re: [BUG] Intense graphical glitch when looking at certain stations

Post by kmunoz » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 02:27

Jimmithesith wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 02:04
Have you tried removing the mods that impact visuals (ship rooms, no fog, fire and smoke)? At least for purposes of testing to make sure that's not causing the graphical glitch.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Jimmithesith
x4

Post by Jimmithesith » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 02:46

kmunoz wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 02:27
Jimmithesith wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 02:04
Have you tried removing the mods that impact visuals (ship rooms, no fog, fire and smoke)? At least for purposes of testing to make sure that's not causing the graphical glitch.
removed all of those, still get the bug

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:23

Removing mods might not fix glitches they caused.

Ideally if you could recreate this in a not modified game, possibly by using the custom game start feature to speed things up, and upload a save that reliably demonstrates the graphical glitch it could help track down the cause. If the developers can also recreate it they might be able to fix it. If it cannot be recreated on another system then there is a good chance it is something wrong with your system, such as buggy driver or GPU stability issues.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:59

Have you tried changing the graphics display options both in-game and in your graphics card control panel to see if any one functionality is responsible for the issue? That might narrow things down without having to do too many other things. For one set of examples, does resolution, scaling or window mode have any great effect on this?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 13:56

Looks like a driver or hardware problem to me...
does this happen asap, or after some time?
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 17:00

You say "certain stations" - are you able to determine which ones/kinds? Is it tied to a specific module? If so, you could remove all mods and go vanilla just long enough to find a station with that module and see if the problem recurs.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Jimmithesith
x4

Post by Jimmithesith » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 23:27

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:59
Have you tried changing the graphics display options both in-game and in your graphics card control panel to see if any one functionality is responsible for the issue? That might narrow things down without having to do too many other things. For one set of examples, does resolution, scaling or window mode have any great effect on this?
ive tried changing resolution and window mode, neither fixed it.
Not sure what you mean by scaling.
kmunoz wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 17:00
You say "certain stations" - are you able to determine which ones/kinds? Is it tied to a specific module? If so, you could remove all mods and go vanilla just long enough to find a station with that module and see if the problem recurs.
In my main save its the station where you meet the mission person for the argon vs xenon war... now that probably dont mean sh*t since im pretty sure that station placement and loadout is probably different for everyone...
Ill try and load up my save to find the system name.
But honestly i dont really have any mods that would affect station modules...

EDIT: its hatkivah's choice III
|K.O.S.H. wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 13:56
Looks like a driver or hardware problem to me...
does this happen asap, or after some time?
Neither, it only happens in certain specific situations.
Honestly im not sure wether its some areas with specific effects (like, say, certain kinds of fogs) or certain station modules anymore, because i had the bug right outside a warpgate with no stations nearby...
Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:23
Removing mods might not fix glitches they caused.

Ideally if you could recreate this in a not modified game, possibly by using the custom game start feature to speed things up, and upload a save that reliably demonstrates the graphical glitch it could help track down the cause. If the developers can also recreate it they might be able to fix it. If it cannot be recreated on another system then there is a good chance it is something wrong with your system, such as buggy driver or GPU stability issues.
I tried a new game with only script mods, still getting the issue.
As for drivers/hardware beomg tje cause? i highly doubt it. i have a gtx 1060 with more than enough VRAM to run the game and do something else.
Tbh the only game ive had to focus solelly on (that means turning off my second monitor and any other app) is SC, and that game is a well known monster on specs. I highly doubt X4 has the same specs requirements.
Also i updated all windows drivers + nvidia drivers and it didnt fix the issue.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 10:02

Just to be clear, a driver or hardware issue would be nothing to do with system requirements or whether the game is more or less demanding than other games. Graphical glitches such as the ones in your screenshot come up now and again, and in pretty much every single case it turns out to be one of these things, so dismissing it is as a likely cause would be unwise.

The same applies to mods. Whether or not you think mods you are using are likely to affect something, removing them, performing a file verification using the Steam and GoG client, and then testing the game in the state in which it is provided by us, as opposed to with unknown changes by third parties, is an essential step towards identifying the source of the problem.

Jimmithesith
x4

Post by Jimmithesith » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 19:36

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 10:02
Just to be clear, a driver or hardware issue would be nothing to do with system requirements or whether the game is more or less demanding than other games. Graphical glitches such as the ones in your screenshot come up now and again, and in pretty much every single case it turns out to be one of these things, so dismissing it is as a likely cause would be unwise.

The same applies to mods. Whether or not you think mods you are using are likely to affect something, removing them, performing a file verification using the Steam and GoG client, and then testing the game in the state in which it is provided by us, as opposed to with unknown changes by third parties, is an essential step towards identifying the source of the problem.
Gotcha. Ill try a fresh install with no mods and the latest drivers i have.

Sucks that i have to start a new game, but if it can rid me of that pesky bug, then so be it.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”