[BUG] capital ship turrets not firing on station modules

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Xkuka
x4

[BUG] capital ship turrets not firing on station modules

Post by Xkuka » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 22:09

I almost didnt report this one, because its old, and i have seen many other reports not leading to a working fix. And i was just going to try and get over with it. But its really annoying and makes fighting the Xenon a sore chore...
Currently i am at the end of the Yaki plot, and the mission is to eliminate those Xenons in 5 sectors. There are a couple of issues worth talking about. But the one that almost manages to drive me nuts, is the persistence in which capital ships stop firing at station modules after they have destroyed one module of a station. And even with a powerfull fleet, also with all the experience i have with this game and trying to cope with its weakpoints, it becomes painfull going to destroy more than 20 stations across 5 sectors.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y_XzF2 ... sp=sharing

In this screenshot you see 4 ships, An Asgard, a Raptor and two Syns. Also you see the remains of a Xenon powerplant, in clear firing range of all 4 ships. All of them have at least some Plasma turrets, of which all of them have fired at some point in this story. Yet only the Asgard is shooting in this particular scene. And its only shooting because i hopped at the controls and changed the turret setting to fire at my current target. Otherwise this would be a peacefull picture. The cherry on top is how it manages to miss the target by firing through the gap in those panels... no we're not talking about that now... :rant:

Usually i set all Plasma weapon to fire at capitals, thats how its supposed to be, and partly, at stations its also working. For some weird reason, they stop firing in many, too many occasions. I have to take control of the ship and reposition it. And i havent found a reasonable pattern that would help me doing so effectively.

So you will asking me now if i can provide an unmodified savegame. No i cannot.
Then you will probably say, well in this case we are unable to investigate this further.

I understand, i do. But you can also decide to take this serious, because its really old. And there is no good reason to blame mods on this one, not in this save.
Its a general problem, not related to this particular save, so there is no point going at it.

I will suggest, in order to reproduce this problem, just take a couple of different capital ships, strap some Plasmas on it and set it to anti capital mode, and go clean up these Xenon sectors. Do so, by flying these ships in a suitable position next to these stations and let them do their work. I cant imagine that you will be able to do this without stumbling over this particular problem. And dont do it in a test environment, i bet there you can avoid this to happen. Go and clean these sectors as requested by the Yaki plot, and i bet you will see and be able to find the culprit. Im sure you are able to cheat together a fleet easily without, like us players, invest dozens of hours building up an empire.

And i dont know if it matters, i only use Argon plasmas. I mean its an obvious choise. No reason why anyone who studied the stats would chose differently... Perhabs the plasmas of other races dont behave this way. But its affecting certainly L and M turrets the same way, so much i can say.
***Never not modified***
Specs: I9 9900k, 32GB DDR4, ASUS RTX2060 12GB, Sys drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Games drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Win10 pro 21H2

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [BUG] capital ship turrets not firing on station modules

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 22:43

You are correct that these are well-reported issues and with several recent or even still-active threads about them. You could wait for 4.20 release or try a test run of the current 4.20 public beta where, I believe, issues to do with several currently disappointing elements of IS and OOS combat are being addressed and with encouraging results so far.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Xkuka
x4

Post by Xkuka » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 23:15

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 22:43
You are correct that these are well-reported issues and with several recent or even still-active threads about them. You could wait for 4.20 release or try a test run of the current 4.20 public beta where, I believe, issues to do with several currently disappointing elements of IS and OOS combat are being addressed and with encouraging results so far.
Cant chose the beta -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/11RBoIs ... sp=sharing
Or do i have to do it somewhere else? Funny that the version i am running (4.1) is marked as legacy.

And could i even switch to 4.2 in my running game? I mean its almost 100hours, dont know if i am willing to start over for a currently uncertain outcome. I know you probably cant give me a good answer, but worth asking anyway. :D
***Never not modified***
Specs: I9 9900k, 32GB DDR4, ASUS RTX2060 12GB, Sys drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Games drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Win10 pro 21H2

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 23:31

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 22:43
The issue about turrets not firing if the initial target is no longer available / reachable by the turret hasn't been addressed by the beta yet. I hope it will tho. It's been around for way too long and it has a horrible impact on any IS combat that involves turrets. Even m ships.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:29

@ Xkuka: The beta instructions are covered here where you would expect. You back up the saves of your running game before loading the beta. When 4.20 releases you can certainly carry on playing from vanilla 4.10 saves.

@ iforgotmysocks: You might find some good news here then.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Marauder_AU
x4

Post by Marauder_AU » Thu, 13. Jul 23, 11:56

Wow still happening in 2023 ver 6, I flew my Raptor with a syn and rattlesnake attacking a station. As I passed within L and then M gun range they didn't attack. turrets set to "attack all enemy" I had to change to attack my target before they would start firing . same shit as always. I have noticed that the bigger your empire grows the more common things don't act as they should. Considering how old this game is you would think the bugs would have been sorted by now. Although they did still shoot at fighters and mediums but ignored the station even when there were no S/M around. So frustrating

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Jul 23, 12:06

If you're having problems with the game not doing something you expect it to, the thing to do is to start your own thread and provide the information requested in the very first thread at the top of the forum (including a link to a savegame) so that someone can investigate what's happening in the current version, not dig up a two year old thread about a vaguely similar sounding issue from several versions ago that is very likely to have been fixed.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”