[1314]4.10 L Ships intentionally fly in wrong direction after leaving gate

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

[1314]4.10 L Ships intentionally fly in wrong direction after leaving gate

Post by LameFox » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:59

I have been seeing this a lot lately. An L ship appears outside of a gate, but seems to decide it needs to fly to the side before continuing on. Maybe to avoid traffic? But the problem is that it chooses a point BEHIND IT and has to fly back toward the gate, then turn around, then fly where it really should be going. I have included a save where a very, very slow trade ship is painfully performing this wasteful manoeuvre.

If it's doing what I think it is, can the points they use to navigate be moved forward, so that they are at least ahead of an emerging ship? This is absolutely killing their functionality IS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y3qnLL ... sp=sharing
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Re: 4.10 L Ships intentionally fly in wrong direction after leaving gate

Post by LameFox » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 12:06

Actually, as I continue to watch this, it is even doing it OOS!
***modified***

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:24

Its part of the default pathing to get large ships out of the way of gate traffic.
Just... another... bug.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 02:40

That's what I suspected, but from observation it doesn't really seem to be helping avoid traffic at all that these points are behind them. Were the paths set up when they still flew into the gate itself? :gruebel:
***modified***

Xkuka
x4

Post by Xkuka » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 10:51

I dont mind that behavior in general, what i do mind is that they boost, even M ships with combat engines who could speed up with travel drive in no time. In a "hot entry" situation this is somewhat equal to suicide. Imagine you try to clear the other side of a well guarded gate with a fleet. RIP comrades...
***Never not modified***
Specs: I9 9900k, 32GB DDR4, ASUS RTX2060 12GB, Sys drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Games drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Win10 pro 21H2

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 11:24

I guess I just don't see the need to go backwards. Especially now that L ships do not traverse gates in a normal way. If they desperately need to get back and to the side before they travel on, why not just have them appear there since they are jumping?

I did not actually see boosting in this case, however.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 14:10

I am also observing this behaviour at superhighways, where it actually CAUSES collisions. While the ship slowly rotates to fly to a point behind itself, other ships are coming through at speed and slam into the back of it. And the point it chooses can require flying in the way of the 'in' side of the superhighway, too!

Please remove this it's awful.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Re: [1314]4.10 L Ships intentionally fly in wrong direction after leaving gate

Post by LameFox » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 10:03

Adding a save (beta 4.20) just to illustrate how broken this behaviour is at superhighways in particular: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HLGGGe ... sp=sharing

Ships coming through are constantly pausing to sloooowly rotate and being rammed from behind, spinning wildly, causing even more obstruction and collision. I realize it's not a big technical issue but for game immersion and using large ships in person it's hideous.
***modified***

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”