Nvidia Surround (Triple Monitor) Map Overlay invisible

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

keno1999
x4

Nvidia Surround (Triple Monitor) Map Overlay invisible

Post by keno1999 » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 21:50

Hi, I am facing an issue with triple monitor (Nvidia Surround) where the map overlay content is missing (sectors, stations, ships, etc.) but the buttons and lists in the UI are visible. I tried updating my GPU drivers to the latest (496.76) and tested all the wide resolutions. Interestingly, I actually managed to get the map to display correctly one time, immediately after updating the graphics driver to the latest version (using 5760x1080) and I thought that had fixed it, but when I switched to my preferred resolution, 11520x2160, it went back to not working again, and when I switched back to 5760x1080 it wasnt working with that anymore either. I played with a ton of GPU settings to try to figure out why the map overlay wont display, but nothing will trigger the map to work. Without the map, the game is unplayable, so I am forced to use 3840x2160, which is a shame because the game looks so good on three screens in all other respects.

Systems Specs:
Win10
I9 10900k
Z490
64 GB Ram
RTX3090
X4 Ver: 4.10 (and 4.20 beta) English, vanilla, Terran start.

The other thing I noticed is switching to encyclopedia screen causes the game to crash. This is a 100% repeatable crash for me, but I would be happy to just have the map work and never use the encyclopedia.

keno1999
x4

Re: Nvidia Surround (Triple Monitor) Map Overlay invisible

Post by keno1999 » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 15:35

Updated original post to better align with the sticky guidelines.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 16:11

If you've already done a file verification using the Steam or GOG client, then it's most likely either a driver issue or a GPU memory issue. Yes, I know you have a very high-end card, but if your settings (particularly AA) are high AND you're using a very large resolution, then you could actually still run out! Please try lowering a few graphics settings to see if that makes any difference.

keno1999
x4

Post by keno1999 » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 04:05

Thanks, CBJ!

Yes, the local steam files validated successfully. Also, as I mentioned, I spent a lot of time messing with graphics settings in game and using the nvidia controls, and I already tried turning all the graphics settings down. I'll keep playing with it occasionally to see if I can determine why it worked that one time immediately after updating the GPU drivers.

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

keno1999
x4

Post by keno1999 » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 18:30

So I set this game aside because I really want to enjoy it with triple monitors, but I am still seeing the same issue. I've tried reinstalling, updating drivers. Even using the latest nvidia vulkan beta driver, but no matter what I do, I can only get the map overlay to work in 3840x2160 (single monitor) resolution. I flipped every setting on and off. Letting the game have complete control of the GPU, forcing all settings on for compatibility using the nvidia control panel. I've also tried the latest 5.10 HF3 beta.

How can I further troubleshoot this issue and finally get the map working in 11520x2160 resolution? Please help!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 18:47

The map is kind of rendered in front of the camera in 3D space, to allow for tilting and rolling along with the ship. It is possible the logic that positions it cannot cope with such an extreme display setup so incorrectly positions it or makes wrong assumptions as to what is visible.

As your display setup is highly unusual it might be a good idea to provide some screenshots showing the issue. This might not only help the developers understand the problem you are having but might also help with a potential solution.

keno1999
x4

Post by keno1999 » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 19:08

Thanks for the reply. I've placed copies of my dxdiag and vulkaninfo files and a screenshot showing the invisible map, along with some other showing other menu overlay elements working fine. Its just the actual hex grid map, and all the little icons and so forth that let you know what's going on, that is missing.

Like you, I also thought the map might be suffering from a coordinate issue, and while I can see the map cursor appear, it doesnt have the normal shaded transparent look, like it should. I've tried dragging it around to see if it was off screen, but no matter which direction I drag, the map never appears.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

Edit: I just ran some tests with nvidia surround turned off. I had zero luck. The map only seems to work right when the game is limited to one display. I also couldnt even get the game to span all three monitors without surround mode. It seems to be limited to 10000 pixel width. And even in that less than ideal width, the map was again invisible, but I assume that this test rules out surround mode being the culprit.

I am thinking there is a probably a VRAM limit or some buffer in the game that is being exhausted, and not reserving enough of a resource for the map to display correctly. With 24GB of VRAM on my card and 64GB of system ram, it would be hard to convince me that my rig isnt up to the task here.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”