No Start after short pause of playing - solved by removing Overwolf

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zipo0815
x4

No Start after short pause of playing - solved by removing Overwolf

Post by zipo0815 » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 22:37

Hi,

I bought the game on Steam some time ago and wanted to finally play it properly.
The first 4-5 hours worked flawlessly. But after I wanted to restart the game after a short break (1-2 hours), nothing happened.
In the meantime, I have already tried the following steps:
- Restart the PC
- Repair the game data
- Complete reinstallation
- Deleting the file in the user data

But unfortunately without solving the problem.
Therefore, I am hoping for your help, as I would like to play the game more intensively.

Enclosed are 2 logs from DXDIAG and the dump file. Vulkaninfo is not available because I use an AMD graphics card.
Edit: How do I attach files? Don't see any option.

Thanks for your support!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: No Start after short pause of playing

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 22:41

The files you mentioned are not linked in your post. Just upload them to a reputable public fileshare site and post the links in a post here.

Also AMD cards do use Vulkan for this game and so you can indeed get Vulkaninfo (link - but you might need to wait for the digital signature to be renewed on Monday).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

zipo0815
x4

Post by zipo0815 » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 22:47

Hope this is ok so far:

Dump
https://file.io/B8OXN0xXIuZW

DXDIAG
https://file.io/D5whpaGmXkTr

I will try to get the vulkan one tomorrow.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 22:55

Unfortunately, you have used a single-use upload site where the files you uploaded will be deleted if I look at them to try to advise you further, and then the devs will never see them.

Could you try using a general public access sharing site please, even if the upload is only held there for a few weeks.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 10:11

Thanks. From the DxDiag, both your AMD graphics (2020) and Ben Q/AMD sound (2018) drivers should be updated. See what latest WHQL'd updates you can get from the manufacturers' driver update sites - probably mainly from AMD.

zipo0815
x4

Post by zipo0815 » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 11:58

Thanks for the feedback.
So far I've updated the driver of my grafic card (now may 2021). For the sound there is now driver available.
But it's still not possible to start X4 -.-

Regarding Vulkaninfo:
I've checked the installation and updated it.
I always get an empty file when creating it. And without the file generation no info is shown in cmd.
Any tip how I can solve this?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 12:23

zipo0815 wrote:
Mon, 22. Nov 21, 11:58
Regarding Vulkaninfo:
I've checked the installation and updated it.
I always get an empty file when creating it. And without the file generation no info is shown in cmd.
Any tip how I can solve this?
If no Vulkan info can be generated that usually means the Vulkan service locator is corrupt, missing or working incorrectly. The service locator is usually installed by one of the graphic drivers so that it may register its provider with it.

I recommend downloading the latest graphic driver for your GPU from AMD and then using Display Driver Uninstaller (a third party tool) to completely remove the existing graphic driver from your PC while it is not connected to the internet (so that Windows does not download an old driver). Then clean install the graphic driver before enabling the internet connection. This should install the Vulkan service locator and register the AMD GPU provider with it.

zipo0815
x4

Post by zipo0815 » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 15:41

So, I now updated and reinstalled all drivers.

New DxDiag
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1crjt65sifsr ... 2.txt?dl=0

New Dump info
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sv0ioyqys1jci ... 7.dmp?dl=0

I still can't get any info via vulkaninfo, even after I've deleted and reinstalled the drivers. Additionally I've installed the Vulkan Configurater.
But it changed nothing ...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 16:39

All your many errors reported in that second DxDiag are crashes to do with vulkaninfo.exe or vkconfig.exe, but in both cases the stated problem lies with 'ow-graphics-vulkan.dll' which must either be missing, corrupt or the wrong version.

The file 'ow-graphics-vulkan.dll' does not exist on my own system which has an AMD RX 480 card and latest driver successfully running both Vulkan and X4. I suspect that that dll is a fragment of something left on the system, perhaps during system building. Even the file name seems incomplete and inappropriate. It might be worth finding that file on your system and moving it elsewhere or renaming it to something safe and then see if that solves the problem.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 17:10

Vulkaninfo not providing any details points to a driver issue (sometimes in systems with multiple graphics cards like notebooks, it's drivers of "the other" card, the one you don't want to use for playing games - causing problems with vulkaninfo listing any info).

Coincidentally we had another customer today, with the exact same report of a crash in ow-graphics-vulkan.dll. Specifically in his case the vulkaninfo lead him to a google search and figuring out the registry has remnants of old windows 8 registry entries which are apparently different from what windows 10 should have. He changed those and reinstalled the graphics driver and got the game to run.

Did you happen to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 on your machine?

Warning: Unless you know what you are doing you should NOT mess with the registry(!).

zipo0815
x4

Post by zipo0815 » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 17:41

My system is a PC with only one graphics card. Should normally be enough :)
The system also runs since the beginning with Windwos 10. Thus, an update has never been necessary.

It's funny that there have never been any problems with Vulkan so far. Only now they have appeared in connection with X4.
I have completely reinstalled all my drivers after removing them with the help of a cleaner before. I also downloaded the graphics driver from the manufacturer.

I've uninstalled the Vulkan SDK now. Should I reinstall it again?`Would you recommend using it?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 17:41

try ddu to clean the drivers and put fresh ones, hopefully ddu can clean it all up.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 17:57

zipo0815 wrote:
Mon, 22. Nov 21, 17:41
My system is a PC with only one graphics card. Should normally be enough :)
I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that someone is suggesting you should have more than one. This was simply an example of one of the situations in which drivers can have problems, but it's far from the only one.
zipo0815 wrote:
The system also runs since the beginning with Windwos 10. Thus, an update has never been necessary.
Again, this was just an example. Graphics drivers should be updated fairly regularly, regardless of when they were originally installed.
zipo0815 wrote:
It's funny that there have never been any problems with Vulkan so far. Only now they have appeared in connection with X4.
Do you play other games requiring Vulkan? The majority of games do not, so unless you've definitely been playing others that do then that would explain why you've not run into issues with it before.
zipo0815 wrote:
I have completely reinstalled all my drivers after removing them with the help of a cleaner before. I also downloaded the graphics driver from the manufacturer.
Nonetheless, there is clearly still something wrong with the driver setup on your system.
zipo0815 wrote:
I've uninstalled the Vulkan SDK now. Should I reinstall it again?`Would you recommend using it?
If you've installed a separate Vulkan SDK then that could well have affected your Vulkan installation. I suggest that now that you've uninstalled that, you re-run a reputable driver cleaner and then run a full reinstall of the graphics drivers from the manufacturer's site.

zipo0815
x4

Post by zipo0815 » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 19:22

So, again I've deleted the driver using DDU and installed the newest driver for my card from AMD. I've also uninstalled the Vulkan SDK.
Additionally I've deleteled some of the vulcen files in system 32. Due to the new driver from AMD they have been reinstalled again.

I still recieve the same error (with ow-graphics-vulkan.dll) in DxDiag and the games doesn't start.

So far I've played following games that support Vulkan without any problem: Dota 2, No Man's Sky, Rage 2

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 19:24

u dont use reshade do you?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

zipo0815
x4

Post by zipo0815 » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 19:43

No, I don't use it so far

Btw. after I've reinstalled the drivers I also uninstalled and reinstalled the game

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 19:48

The file that is causing the problem appears to come from something called "Overwolf", which seems to be a game overlay. Try uninstalling that.

zipo0815
x4

Post by zipo0815 » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 20:06

CBJ thank you! Indeed it was Overwulf. I' deleted it and suddenly the game starts again :)

Thanks for all the support to find the solution!!!

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: No Start after short pause of playing - solved by removing Overwolf

Post by rboerdijk » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 18:13

Thanks for getting back and confirming it works now!

I updated the crash redirect so other people experiencing this will get now redirected to a webpage where some information on this problem is shown.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”