Can't even go 4 gates without fearing Acid Trip graphics

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

skyneedler9
x4

Can't even go 4 gates without fearing Acid Trip graphics

Post by skyneedler9 » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 23:59

Anybody savvy on hardware and what might cause this following issue, I'd like some feedback about it.

Sometimes it freezes and recovers and turns into an Acid trip, sometimes it freezes and hard crashes my computer... if I stay in one sector, and not move around too much I can survive the issue for a few hours..... I frikkin am not allowed to do a full once around of the main superhighway because it will guarantee a hard crash before I get around. I just can't do it. The problem started on the 4.00 around the time i added cradle of humanity.

So I'm still trying to play the game, but the updates finally reached a threshold of CPU demand that I can't play securely even for an hour. Dunno why the graphical acid trip if it is the CPU, but i'm certain it is RAM or CPU because it has everything to do with things Loading in and the information not getting dumped when they leave my vicinity so it just builds and builds until I gotta restart the game, whether by damaging my computer from reboots or manage to escape when it just dips my screen in a kaleidoscope.

I just got 8gb of ram, an old potato G-force Titan, and an i5 processor, I suppose that is current day's "Potato Parts." Lowest settings the game will let me go, and everything I can possibly quit out to save cpu... I honestly dunno what else to do, to at the very least reduce the risk of hard crashes.

EDIT: WELL..... just got done observing my Memory, and it has become apparent, the game needs more than 8gb to run, dunno why it does this, but it just climbs and climbs and doesn't go down.
* Yeah, played the game in a small window off my native screen and just watched the usage, it just taxes on my cpu to the max, jumping from 72 at the lowest and usually stays at 85-100%... and my memory sticks around 7.58 to near all 8 gb, but while fighting a pirate capital ship at some point my memory just dumped straight to 4.13 gb of usage. So I'm just chalking it up to CPU maxing out, nothing much I can do about that. \o/

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Can't even go 4 gates without fearing Acid Trip graphics

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 11:22

The chances are that you are using a graphics card without sufficient available dedicated fast VRAM (3 GB min, 4 GB or more much preferred). Where that is the case, the game has to use system RAM as slower shared memory for graphics stuff and that slows everything down as well as eating your system RAM and introducing scope for visual artefacts and errors.

It would be lot a easier to know for sure with at least a link to a DxDiag.

Haven't we said something similar to you before, or have you upgraded since?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 15:20

If by "Acid Trips" you mean getting too slow on fps I have almost the same configuration as you (i5, 8GB RAM, GeForce 1060TI with 6 GB RAM) the game is running OK in Windows but I have the "same" problem in Linux. It was much worse in V4.00 but got better in V4.10. The only "remedy" is to save, exit to desktop and reload, as that clears moth memory and CPU use... Doing so about every hour seems to work in most cases...

EDIT: Hopefully it will get better in the next update... Memory and CPU usage sucks in X4...

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 16:01

skyneedler9 wrote:
Tue, 26. Oct 21, 23:59
sometimes it freezes and hard crashes my computer...
If the computer really has crashed, and is not just performing very poorly due to page thrashing, then that could be a sign of unreliable hardware.

8 GB system memory certainly is not ideal, especially if running Windows or background apps which can be quite the memory hog. However running out of free memory should crash X4 and not the computer.

skyneedler9
x4

Post by skyneedler9 » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 16:16

Yeah it's done regular dump crashes on just the game... but i'll experience a mega freeze and it's like a 50/50 i'll either see an Acid Trip screen or I get the BRRRRr sound of the computer full freezing and having to hard reboot, so it don't technically crash the computer, but it basically forces me to hard reboot x.x. And according to the GTX 1050 Ti it's got 3gb VRAM, the bare minimum, but it is not enough... my ram is absolutely not enough. I was just sitting around watching my statistics at a gate and just got the regular game crash, (The safe one that doesn't freeze) I could just idle and it comes to crash my day. The (Bare minimum) seems to not like the update with Cradle of Humanity... for me anyway x.x

EDIT: ** I found a solution! So far anyway, this was my longest play session with multiple running through gates. I'm not 100% certain cuz I'm still saving around every corner XD, but I went into my GPU using MSI afterburner and I threw my hands up and tried to increase the Memory core clock from 0 to 100MHz. \o/ so far I got a long, no crash playthrough. I just get kinda worrisome when it comes to overclocking things x.x, but I could not handle that sudden crash trip.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 00:51

skyneedler9 wrote:
Wed, 27. Oct 21, 16:16
EDIT: ** I found a solution! So far anyway, this was my longest play session with multiple running through gates. I'm not 100% certain cuz I'm still saving around every corner XD, but I went into my GPU using MSI afterburner and I threw my hands up and tried to increase the Memory core clock from 0 to 100MHz. \o/ so far I got a long, no crash playthrough. I just get kinda worrisome when it comes to overclocking things x.x, but I could not handle that sudden crash trip.
Sounds like whatever it was on before was an unstable value. Given the age of the GPU (1050 is a few years old now) it could even be due to natural degradation or unlucky binning.

If the stock clock settings of the GPU memory are no longer stable it might be worth reading up about GPU overclocking for a few hours and trying to find a new stable values around the stock values (not really an overclock, just some tuning to compensate).

Some MSI GPUs have been known to ship with effectively minor overclocks that are prone to stability issues. In this case there might be a firmware update for the GPU from MSI to fix them by reverting the GPU to more stable operating frequencies. I recall GamersNexus mentioning this among other questionable MSI practices when they ran into issues with them over unfavourable reviews.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”