Ship slides after stopping even with flight assist on.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Omni-Orb
x4

Ship slides after stopping even with flight assist on.

Post by Omni-Orb » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 21:38

Hello. The nodan i got after starting a new game was fine in steering really crips and precice, up untill a point where its at now, its sliding for a long time after boosting and flying regular when trying to stop.
I think it has to do with the drag mod however im not sure. Its the basic one with 14.99% called "polisher". It just seems like the handling of the ship is completely off now compared to how it was, it makes it more difficult to steer in combat. And the mod has no "red" writing on it so it seems illogical that the handling on the ship would be compromised when the mod only has green effects. So i was wondering if this is a bug, or maybe an oversight. This is an unmodded game. And no its not flight assist, cause i use that often and i know really well how it works.
Credence follow stars.

Omni-Orb
x4

Re: Ship slides after stopping even with flight assist on.

Post by Omni-Orb » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 22:21

I tested it and it is the drag mod that is responsible.
Im not sure if this qualifies as a bug, however it doesnt make sense that the ship steering gets worse when its a mod that is supposed to make the ship better and has no red text.
Credence follow stars.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Ship slides after stopping even with flight assist on.

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 23:29

The ships steering has not got worse, just you are moving faster. Since your breaking distance at the same speed has not improved, and possibly has gotten worse due to less drag slowing you down, the result is the distance from full speed (which is now faster) to stop has increased. Turning (pitch, roll and yaw) should not be affected but your turning circle will be larger for the previously mentioned reason as you are faster and there is less drag slowing you down and so preventing you going in the wrong direction (drifting).

The solution is to use the exceptional chassis mod which also lowers mass. Reducing mass does improve your breaking distance (as well as acceleration speed allowing you to cancel out momentum faster) which will make you drift less when turning.

This is why the Falax (Cradle of Humanity DLC) has such high responsiveness. It has very high drag but also a huge number of engines so it flies closer to a S ship than a M frigate which usually have multi-kilometre drifts when turning.

Using Terran engines might also help since they have better acceleration. On the other hand Split engines (Split Vendetta DLC) will make the situation worse as they have quite poor acceleration and very high top speeds which result in a lot of drifting when turning, to the point that with larger M ships like the Cobra you can almost reach 90 degrees drifts when turning.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”