[4.10] X4 "Modifying" Itself During Gameplay - In-game warning coming in a future build.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Re: [4.10] X4 "Modifying" Itself During Gameplay.

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:25

Not on a beta branch are you?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

jimmybobkins
x4

Post by jimmybobkins » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 13:02

This has happened to me as well, going back on my saves, I played about 4 hours after it happened without realizing it. This is the first time this has happened to me in 2400h logged on steam, and I, like many others are in unmodified save in anticipation of the return of online features.

I noticed something that was not mentioned by others in this thread that I have seen. When I realized my save game had been modified, when it should not have been, I loaded an old save, after loading it, it also showed modified. However, after exiting the game, and reopening the game, and loading that same old save, it was no longer showing modified. So, I believe whatever is causing the save to become modified is something that the game does not clear as part of a save load process. I have before and after saves I can upload if that would help. But, with that mind it would likely take a memory dump to find the cause.

I am on V 4.1 English (Build 458643) Cradle of Humanity + Split Vendetta
No mods enabled
Custom game start (Budgeted)
Time Spent in Save: 4D10h
AV Software: Windows Defender

What I was doing in between the two saves where the game became modified:

Piloting a Rattlesnake for a brief period, then teleporting to the geometric owl on a Terran station, and sending it from station to station dropping satellites and waiting for me to teleport to it while I hacked the stations trade, production, and storage terminals (4 times on storage) at each station. While waiting for the Geometric owl to arrive at it's next destination, I would teleport to either the HQ to stop at the traders or the ARG defense station in Silent Witness to hire marines, give them seminars, and assign them to ships. I was low on management seminars so I had to comm them on the defense station after they arrived a few times to give them the seminars, but those stations were never in Terran space, and the Geometric Owl never left inner Sol.

I suspect rapid fire seminars may be the common thread here? Perhaps?

Edit:
Files:
Before Save
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo4f7tn8rdvpc ... ml.gz?dl=0
After Save
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dntnokvl2o8k4 ... ml.gz?dl=0
Dxdiag
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9730f44085su ... g.txt?dl=0
Vulkaninfo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r6bqqkuxc557 ... o.txt?dl=0
Last edited by jimmybobkins on Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:55, edited 5 times in total.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:05

jimmybobkins wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 13:02
Piloting a Rattlesnake for a brief period, then teleporting to the geometric owl on a terran station, and sending it from station to station dropping satellites and waiting for me to teleport to it while I hacked the stations trade, production, and storage terminals (4 times on storage) at each station. While waiting for the Geometric owl to arrive at it's next destination, I would teleport to either the HQ to stop at the traders or the defense station in silent witness to hire marines, give them seminars, and assign them to ships. I was low on management seminars so i had to comm them on the defense station after they arrived a few times to give them the seminars, but those stations were never in terran space, and the Geometric Owl never left inner Sol.
Jupiter? Mercury? As those are known to be a factor.
jimmybobkins wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 13:02
I suspect rapid fire seminars may be the common thread here? Perhaps?
Anything that causes the background planet to load in might be a cause. In my case it was mostly station build plan window with background enabled. However I did have it triggered by a few seminars when the portrait loads in the sector background.

jimmybobkins
x4

Post by jimmybobkins » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:15

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:05
Jupiter? Mercury? As those are known to be a factor.
Mercury :)
Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:05
Anything that causes the background planet to load in might be a cause. In my case it was mostly station build plan window with background enabled. However I did have it triggered by a few seminars when the portrait loads in the sector background.
The station comms I was sending were to stations in tharkas cascade, silent witness and nepilios fortune, so I don't think they were a factor, and I did check the build progress on a few stations build plans, but they were HQ in grand exchange still, and maybe neptune.

buds

Post by buds » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 23:08

Had this happen again, really bizzare this time. I was battling xenons again in hewas and right clicked my shipyard in mars "build ships" and selected syn / max preset. It said i needed a small amount of turret components / advanced electronics, I checked all components and all were TER and my preferred build for the shipyard is set as terran. It never did this before, I then hit escape to see if (modified) and it was (modified). Loaded previous savegame and all is good now after playing a whole day straight probably built 8 syns in that time. I think whatever it is it has something to do with terrans / coh / 4.x because it never happened with 3.3.

Black Falcon
x4

Post by Black Falcon » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 12:46

Today I noticed a similar issue with my save. "Luckily" I still have a save from 05.12. wich is a loss of about 40-50 hours - as I have a pre-christmas holiday. -.-* ... I could puke. ... a lot. :shock:

Origin: 4.0
Clean until 4.20. (05-12.12.21?)
Last valid save: 05.12.21 (random Quicksafe with F5 - would have lost all original progress without this)
https://magentacloud.de/s/BA9FWstwqx78f6A
Oldest modified save: 11.12.21
https://magentacloud.de/s/BiTXXjDfCCCACXb

Conditions:
I can not nail it down to a certain event but i noticed some strange behaviors since 4.2 on two very long runs on 10./11.12.21. (12h+)
First i thought it was me, but I did not open or save the save files since 4.0. I just opened userdata_signed.xml to see wich progress is still missing. (but did't modify this either - with should not be connected anyway.)

"Strange behavior"
- I noticed logistical station overview mixing with randomly addnig stations. Example: Clicked a TER Food production and it suddenly showed a S/M Shipyard wich is not actually on this station.
When calling the logistical overview again itwas fixed. Noticed this about 3 times. (maybe realated to LONG session? Overflow?)
- In additon a had 1-2 failed autosave attemts, wich maybe due to crew calling me.

Notice:
I have to add an additional reason for Corruption wich may be memory corruption due to overclocking or bad ram. (see memtest or similar)
On my old system I had this issue on one RAM block, wich pretty much randomly destoryed files when saving or crashed games - wich made me sensitive to this havok:-P.

Solution A: "Modified handbreak" - something went wrong.
If problem can not be solved or detected, you could provide a Warning wich detects if in a non modified game after a modified save is created. The warning should ensure the User has the chance to make a backup of his old game or try another save to not lose his progress. We need something like that een if there is only a 1 in 100k Chance or so. Pleople may quit because of this.

Other than that ... good work so far and good luck with 5.0 - Looking forward to it.

Edit:
I noticed the "Seminar spam" - I did this on a 100 Crew load to ensure 1 Star before group training, yesterday. Pilots wouldn't show after this on Comm Display. (As always: if strange just save and reaload to fix)

Edit2:
Well, noticed the "Warning"-Idea was already there.
I have to mention that I repaired my game after modified appeared. GoG downloaded 134 MB. As far as I can tell it's only replacing there files (repeatable):
uninsXXX.YYY
goggame-galaxyFileList.ini
goglog.ini
Launch X4 - Foundations.lnk

Maybe this helps a bit, but by reading this Thread backwards, I would tend to the loading backgroud trigger thingy too. (Sry was rushed to post, after ... the event)
If you are interested in Homeworld 2 or EVE Online, take a look at my mod at:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/eve-rts

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by florianlt » Tue, 14. Dec 21, 14:04

We will add a warning about the game becoming modified during a session in a future update.

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Tue, 14. Dec 21, 15:16

florianlt wrote:
Tue, 14. Dec 21, 14:04
We will add a warning about the game becoming modified during a session in a future update.
Excellent!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [4.10] X4 "Modifying" Itself During Gameplay - In-game warning coming in a future build.

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 14. Dec 21, 16:54

Nice. And if the issue still persists then hopefully it will help players correlate the sequence of events that causes it.

erago
x4

Re: [4.10] X4 "Modifying" Itself During Gameplay - In-game warning coming in a future build.

Post by erago » Fri, 18. Feb 22, 19:18

Still happening now just deleted the "modified" game files and reverified game files which rerplaced two.. loaded up showing a clean game loaded a save which is clean and the game became modified again.. only happening with split as the player character though which is very odd indeed.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 18. Feb 22, 23:46

erago wrote:
Fri, 18. Feb 22, 19:18
Still happening now just deleted the "modified" game files and reverified game files which rerplaced two.. loaded up showing a clean game loaded a save which is clean and the game became modified again.. only happening with split as the player character though which is very odd indeed.
If modified files are detected and replaced then your problem is not related to the one reported here. The reported issue here is that a not modified install (all files pass integrity check, none are replaced) game client randomly fails to load some specific planet diffuse textures.

Files being modified points towards either an unreliable hdd/ssd or some third party application interfering with I/O.

cybergrim

Post by cybergrim » Mon, 9. May 22, 11:21

this has happened to me yesterday in the terran sectors. It now says the save file is modified when I have added no mode. A box popped up while playing saying something about modding but whet too quick for me to understand what was happening.

keatsm
x3tc

Post by keatsm » Thu, 26. May 22, 15:16

Got the same issue, started with 4.10 now all saves are marked with modified. No editing or mods added whatsoever. Extremely annoying. Anyway is there any foolproof recovery method that can be recommended without losing game play?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 26. May 22, 16:54

No, I'm afraid that once a save is modified it stays that way, as we have no way of knowing what has modified it or what has changed. As mentioned in this thread, it can't now happen again without alerting you, but for saves that were modified prior to that warning, it's too late.

keatsm
x3tc

Post by keatsm » Fri, 27. May 22, 14:03

Thank you for the confirmation, I will live with it.

spookywatcher

Post by spookywatcher » Sat, 28. May 22, 00:01

I just had this happen on Linux GOG install. I have never modded ever. The worse part was EVERY new game start after that also had modified notice. I uninstalled X4. Deleted all directories etc (that I know of) and reinstalled and started a new game and it too was tagged as modified. I had to reinstall Linux OS. Then reinstall x4. Then it finally allowed a new game without the modified notice.

I thought it might have happened because I had just tried overclocking my memory to 3833mhz with a 1:1 fclock.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”