[4.10] X4 "Modifying" Itself During Gameplay - In-game warning coming in a future build.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [4.10] X4 "Modifying" Itself During Gameplay.

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 10. Oct 21, 16:41

I strongly believe the issue, at least in my case, is related to the 4.10 added sector/environment background feature for the station planner window. Since defaulting to that having that setting turned off (no sector background, like pre 4.10) and only turning it on when I am first planning a station (low exposure) I have yet to encounter a planet texture failing verification. Of course due to how infrequently it occurred before it could be luck, but the more I play without it happening the more likely it seems to be the case.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 14. Oct 21, 10:56

Even with sector environment models turned off it still happened... Although it is happening less frequently.

Code: Select all

[FileIO ] 414472.40 File I/O: Failed to verify the file signature for file '.\extensions\ego_dlc_terran\assets\textures\environments\planets\jupiter_4k_diffhq.gz' (error: 13)
[General] 414472.40 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 414472.40 CheckGzipHeader() not a gzip source buffer, magic bytes don't match!
[General] 414472.40 ======================================
This time it was possibly caused by the lower right com portrait loading Jupiter. I commed a pilot to give them a seminar.

Again I find it highly suspect that only planet textures are throwing this error. Something about them must be prone to causing this...

buds

Post by buds » Sat, 16. Oct 21, 10:07

i had this happen twice on 4.0. The first time i'd already saved a few times and so I started a new game. The second time I was going through those anomalies, one came out in scale plate green and i went to save and the escape menu said (modified) so I didn't save. I re booted and reloaded earlier save and have been playing for a while since with no probs (now on 4.1). Each time I of course verified the game files and have never modified any egosoft game ever. I have also switched to a new HDD now, the old one wasn't throwing errors (im in linux) but I have a feeling it was dodgy.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 21. Oct 21, 09:50

A user on discord called "veryinky" sent in a log file with the following error.

[General] 363420.21 ======================================
[FileIO ] 363420.29 File I/O: Failed to verify the file signature for file '.\extensions\ego_dlc_terran\assets\textures\environments\planets\jupiter_4k_diffhq.gz' (error: 13)
[General] 363420.29 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 363420.29 CheckGzipHeader() not a gzip source buffer, magic bytes don't match!
[General] 363420.64 ======================================
This matches the error that occurred in most of my cases.

I have been trying to purposely recreate the problem on demand, or at all, so far without any luck. I have forced Jupiter, and various planets, textures to load hundreds of times without error, even under extreme situations such as while riding around the highway loop. It seems that whatever the cause is, it is not a chance to error on loading the texture but rather some other sequence of events results in the next loading of the texture encountering the error. What this sequence of events is I am not sure yet.

Although speculation, such a random cause could be the result of dangling pointers or similar errors that can corrupt parts of memory, which would explain why gzip is throwing an error, but not why it is always planet diffuse textures that error and not other random files. It might also be possible to deduce another cause by tracing the flow of logic required to log those errors in that sequence. However at this stage it seems unlikely to be able to capture it in a debugger to know for sure.

If the cause cannot be found, the best alternative would be to implemented a warning prompt the instant X4 is marked as modified due to such verification failures, also listing the file or cause that triggered it. This will at least limit the damage to players and might also help track down the required sequence to reliably reproduce the error.

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Thu, 21. Oct 21, 10:07

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 21. Oct 21, 09:50
A user on discord called "veryinky" sent in a log file with the following error.

[General] 363420.21 ======================================
[FileIO ] 363420.29 File I/O: Failed to verify the file signature for file '.\extensions\ego_dlc_terran\assets\textures\environments\planets\jupiter_4k_diffhq.gz' (error: 13)
[=ERROR=] 363420.29 CheckGzipHeader() not a gzip source buffer, magic bytes don't match!
[General] 363420.64 ======================================
This matches the error that occurred in most of my cases.

I have been trying to purposely recreate the problem on demand, or at all, so far without any luck. I have forced Jupiter, and various planets, textures to load hundreds of times without error, even under extreme situations such as while riding around the highway loop. It seems that whatever the cause is, it is not a chance to error on loading the texture but rather some other sequence of events results in the next loading of the texture encountering the error. What this sequence of events is I am not sure yet.

Although speculation, such a random cause could be the result of dangling pointers or similar errors that can corrupt parts of memory, which would explain why gzip is throwing an error, but not why it is always planet diffuse textures that error and not other random files. It might also be possible to deduce another cause by tracing the flow of logic required to log those errors in that sequence. However at this stage it seems unlikely to be able to capture it in a debugger to know for sure.

If the cause cannot be found, the best alternative would be to implemented a warning prompt the instant X4 is marked as modified due to such verification failures, also listing the file or cause that triggered it. This will at least limit the damage to players and might also help track down the required sequence to reliably reproduce the error.
I am guessing you have also tried being in some busy sector and calling a crewmember/pilot in jupiter to sort of stress the texture loading in the background. I have had times when I call people and I never get to see them since the texture doesn't load at all. Though this did not cause a modified game at those times that I know of.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 21. Oct 21, 11:49

furirkeeper wrote:
Thu, 21. Oct 21, 10:07
I am guessing you have also tried being in some busy sector and calling a crewmember/pilot in jupiter to sort of stress the texture loading in the background. I have had times when I call people and I never get to see them since the texture doesn't load at all. Though this did not cause a modified game at those times that I know of.
I have not tried that yet. I did ride the highway loop and open a lot of station build windows. Station build window I think caused it in most of my cases.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 20:19

Recently started playing and older game from Nov 2020 and while playing using the nosteam.exe the save became modified somehow.
Reloading an older game prior to entering sol sectors and going through the plots again using steam and see if it 'breaks' again.

steph_m37
x4

Post by steph_m37 » Mon, 1. Nov 21, 12:13

hi !

I have never encountered this bug before and it just hit me !!!
I'm not sure when it happened today , I was doing a lot of modification on the miners' spots of my old shipyard to the new shipyard.
on the old shipyard I noticed that the Earth stimulant module had an attachment node position bug during station modification.
but it appeared today it is sure during these manipulations.

it is shifted down from the node, I try to move it and then deleted and reinstalled the default is there.
it's in Venus sector (not checked other sector yet)

It's a big save I play without auto save but I do manual save (f5) when a lot of things are done.
but the last recent F5 (today too) is also marked Modified Unfortunately, I have a copy that dates back a month and it's a shame because currently I have made a lot of additions in the station, in sector cleaning xenon and the story with Dal busta :cry:

i checked the integrity of the files with steam, this backup from the beginning never had mod only official DLCs. (a lot of saves without any problems)
I have never had any problem with windows defender I do not use other antivirus.

this is my windows info :

Édition	Windows 10 Professionnel
Version	21H2
Installé le	‎18/‎06/‎2020
Build du système d’exploitation	19044.1320
Expérience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
So from what I read the backup is screwed up as I understand it, at least in vanilla mode ! :rant:

Steph
Last edited by steph_m37 on Mon, 1. Nov 21, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
- ROG STRIX Z390 I9-9900k- ROG STRIX White OC 24 GB RTX 3090 - 64 GB DDR 3600  -  SSD Nvme  1to, SSD EVOplus NVme 2T, DD 3To - SoundBlaster AE-9 - Monitor ASUS Swift PG32UQX & Alienware AW2721D - AIO Corsair H100i PRO - WARTHOG + T-RUDDER + MFD WINWING

steph_m37
x4

Post by steph_m37 » Mon, 1. Nov 21, 12:29

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 20. Sep 21, 09:35
There is nothing you can do in-game that will "trigger" the game becoming modified. Aside from actually installing mods, causes for this are invariably external, the most common being file corruption or AV software delaying the reading of signature files. Since file corruption is relatively unlikely during play, try setting the game folder as an exclusion for your AV software.
hi !

checking today about corrupted files, there are nothing in event log viewer and windows defender did not detect anything during the game, and anyway do nothing with X4 as it is fully authorized app and folder.
since the beginning. (check the integrity of the files on the SSD too.)
So why today that is the question? yesterday everything was working fine in the same save sector including (F5 and save game function)!

EDIT
check on last month's backup the node placement fault with the module Stimulant Production already present.
Going back to file corruption if there was a file affected today why the backup from 1 month ago saved and reloaded today work?

Steph
- ROG STRIX Z390 I9-9900k- ROG STRIX White OC 24 GB RTX 3090 - 64 GB DDR 3600  -  SSD Nvme  1to, SSD EVOplus NVme 2T, DD 3To - SoundBlaster AE-9 - Monitor ASUS Swift PG32UQX & Alienware AW2721D - AIO Corsair H100i PRO - WARTHOG + T-RUDDER + MFD WINWING

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 1. Nov 21, 14:37

steph_m37 wrote:
Mon, 1. Nov 21, 12:13
I have never encountered this bug before and it just hit me !!!
I'm not sure when it happened today , I was doing a lot of modification on the miners' spots of my old shipyard to the new shipyard.
on the old shipyard I noticed that the Earth stimulant module had an attachment node position bug during station modification.
but it appeared today it is sure during these manipulations.
Known issue, graphic only and during build mode only with built module in correct placement, fixed for next update. Not related, as this same sort of error affected some modules like storages in the past and the game did not turn modified back then. Also the reason the game is turning modified as far as I have been able to tell is due to planet related textures failing to load and so triggering the mod detection mechanics.
steph_m37 wrote:
Mon, 1. Nov 21, 12:29
checking today about corrupted files, there are nothing in event log viewer and windows defender did not detect anything during the game, and anyway do nothing with X4 as it is fully authorized app and folder.
since the beginning. (check the integrity of the files on the SSD too.)
So why today that is the question? yesterday everything was working fine in the same save sector including (F5 and save game function)!
It seems related to loading planet textures under some conditions. So far only Cradle of Humanity planets seem to be causing this, as captured in the debug logs. The problem is that the exact sequence that causes the texture to fail loading, and so X4 to become marked as modified, cannot be reliably recreated. It seems to happen frequently enough that multiple people, including myself, have encountered it many times, but random enough that no matter how hard I try to induce it, it does not happen. For example I have not had it happen at all during the past week or so, despite purposely trying to trigger it.

So far the only solution that I can recommend the developers do is to make X4 notify the player the instant a file fails verification and the X4 client becomes marked as modified. This will not only help track down a potential sequence of actions that can recreate the error, but also minimize the potential loss to players by making them aware the error happened and letting them quit before saving a modified game.

steph_m37
x4

Post by steph_m37 » Tue, 2. Nov 21, 09:05

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 1. Nov 21, 14:37
It seems related to loading planet textures under some conditions. So far only Cradle of Humanity planets seem to be causing this, as captured in the debug logs. The problem is that the exact sequence that causes the texture to fail loading, and so X4 to become marked as modified, cannot be reliably recreated. It seems to happen frequently enough that multiple people, including myself, have encountered it many times, but random enough that no matter how hard I try to induce it, it does not happen. For example I have not had it happen at all during the past week or so, despite purposely trying to trigger it.

So far the only solution that I can recommend the developers do is to make X4 notify the player the instant a file fails verification and the X4 client becomes marked as modified. This will not only help track down a potential sequence of actions that can recreate the error, but also minimize the potential loss to players by making them aware the error happened and letting them quit before saving a modified game.
Hi !

Yes finally bug or not bug all I see is that I have a 14-day and 16-hour save screwed up for the future (online feature)
and I will not take it back a month back, if only I had known that there was this problem, I would have made more recent backups. now i am warned.
So there you have it, yesterday my fast F5 save messed up, I didn't mind and in the aftermath 30 minutes later I made my game save which was corrupted too bravo!
If you can even trust saving the game, it is wrong!

Steph

Rei Ayanami
x4

[Feature request] Display in-game notification if game becomes modified while playing

Post by Rei Ayanami » Thu, 18. Nov 21, 18:37

Yesterday I was playing X4 when I noticed in the pause menu that my game displayed an orange "modified".

That is very odd, since I don't use any mods and I don't do any non-mod file modifications, since I want to keep my current save game for when ventures come back and to be able to do achievements.
Apprently all saves I made in the last 3 days were considered "modified", so I had to reload a save game from 4 days before.

After loading the 4 days old save game I checked the in-game menu, ok, not modified.
However, after playing for ~30 minutes the pause menu again displays "modified".

Through long trial-and-error I found out that entering certain Xenon sectors immediately caused my game to become "modified".
After more trial-and-error it turns out that apparently one of the game files were corrupted.
After letting Steam verify and re-download damaged files my game is working properly no longer becomes automatically marked as "modified".

I would like to request that if a game is running un-modified and suddenly the game thinks that the game is modified (and puts the "modified" into the pause menu), be it by a loading error because of a damaged file or any other reason, please automatically pause the game and display to the player a message, something like

"Attention player :
Your game seems to have become modified mid-play.
All saves done at this point will be marked as 'modified' and
are not eligible for participating in ventures or achievements.
If the game modification is not inteneded it could have been
caused by corrupted game files. In this case, please verify
your game file integrity."'

Press [ok] to continue playing.

I think this would be very useful to prevent unfortunate situations, where someone doesn't pay attention to the pause menu and, in a long gaming session, overwrites all of their save games with saves marked as moified. In my case I only lost 3 days, but since I save in sequential order this could've been far worse.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Fri, 19. Nov 21, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged at poster's request

Seon
x4

Post by Seon » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 01:45

I've encountered this bug too. I was trying to keep a save mod-free in anticipation of the new online features coming out... But sadly, out of no where, my game was marked as modified... And I didn't realize it for some time, as I didn't even notice it until all my saves were with this modified tag, meaning I'll have to start all over again from the ground up for an unmodified game.

It was really disappointing and disheartening to lose all that work, all the plot work, I had put into that game for the sake of future online capabilities.

While I understand this bug is extremely hard to pin down and fix, I can agree with a popup coming up to warn that a game has been modified when it happens. Since, if people are using autosaves, it can save people days/weeks/months of work due to not noticing the modified tag and continuing on as per normal to find out when it'd be too late.

calisin
x4

Post by calisin » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 18:28

Same Problem, had a game being modified during play. Shows modified on returning to main menu.
Its happened twice to this play-through over the last 2 days.

4.10(458643) (English) (Custom start)
was unmodified at start of play.

Had "-log all" active because of repeats, unfortunately this covers 8 hours of play.
Save at 15:56:32 shows unmodified.
Save at 16:17:12 shows modified. (20 minutes prior to end of log)

Logs:
Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cx2y95cgpm0zw ... h.log?dl=0 (30734 lines)
Abriged: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcj7wh17gcmhl ... h.log?dl=0 (514 lines - [Economy_Verbose] and ERR_TRADE removed)

Saves:
Modified: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq1vh288hep94 ... ml.gz?dl=0
Unmodified: https://www.dropbox.com/s/im0gnp3mbvpbr ... ml.gz?dl=0

Honorable mention:

[FileIO ] 116998.26 File I/O: Failed to verify the file signature for file '.\extensions\ego_dlc_terran\assets\textures\environments\planets\jupiter_4k_diffhq.gz' (error: 13)
[General] 116998.26 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 116998.26 CheckGzipHeader() not a gzip source buffer, magic bytes don't match!
in the log was mentioned before.

EDIT:
Happened again within 20 minutes, from the mentioned unmodded save.
Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2uvniifprm4w ... 2.log?dl=0
Same FileIO error is present.

buds

Post by buds » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 12:27

buds wrote:
Sat, 16. Oct 21, 10:07
i had this happen twice on 4.0. The first time i'd already saved a few times and so I started a new game. The second time I was going through those anomalies, one came out in scale plate green and i went to save and the escape menu said (modified) so I didn't save. I re booted and reloaded earlier save and have been playing for a while since with no probs (now on 4.1). Each time I of course verified the game files and have never modified any egosoft game ever. I have also switched to a new HDD now, the old one wasn't throwing errors (im in linux) but I have a feeling it was dodgy.
Just had this happen again, I only lost a couple hours since the last save so not too bad. Before id noticed the (modified) id teleported from neptune back to my fleet in hewas (battling the xenon). Maybe it is something loading wrong in terran sectors, it must be quite rare as I cant make it happen at will.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:25

Not on a beta branch are you?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

jimmybobkins
x4

Post by jimmybobkins » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 13:02

This has happened to me as well, going back on my saves, I played about 4 hours after it happened without realizing it. This is the first time this has happened to me in 2400h logged on steam, and I, like many others are in unmodified save in anticipation of the return of online features.

I noticed something that was not mentioned by others in this thread that I have seen. When I realized my save game had been modified, when it should not have been, I loaded an old save, after loading it, it also showed modified. However, after exiting the game, and reopening the game, and loading that same old save, it was no longer showing modified. So, I believe whatever is causing the save to become modified is something that the game does not clear as part of a save load process. I have before and after saves I can upload if that would help. But, with that mind it would likely take a memory dump to find the cause.

I am on V 4.1 English (Build 458643) Cradle of Humanity + Split Vendetta
No mods enabled
Custom game start (Budgeted)
Time Spent in Save: 4D10h
AV Software: Windows Defender

What I was doing in between the two saves where the game became modified:

Piloting a Rattlesnake for a brief period, then teleporting to the geometric owl on a Terran station, and sending it from station to station dropping satellites and waiting for me to teleport to it while I hacked the stations trade, production, and storage terminals (4 times on storage) at each station. While waiting for the Geometric owl to arrive at it's next destination, I would teleport to either the HQ to stop at the traders or the ARG defense station in Silent Witness to hire marines, give them seminars, and assign them to ships. I was low on management seminars so I had to comm them on the defense station after they arrived a few times to give them the seminars, but those stations were never in Terran space, and the Geometric Owl never left inner Sol.

I suspect rapid fire seminars may be the common thread here? Perhaps?

Edit:
Files:
Before Save
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo4f7tn8rdvpc ... ml.gz?dl=0
After Save
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dntnokvl2o8k4 ... ml.gz?dl=0
Dxdiag
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9730f44085su ... g.txt?dl=0
Vulkaninfo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r6bqqkuxc557 ... o.txt?dl=0
Last edited by jimmybobkins on Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:55, edited 5 times in total.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:05

jimmybobkins wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 13:02
Piloting a Rattlesnake for a brief period, then teleporting to the geometric owl on a terran station, and sending it from station to station dropping satellites and waiting for me to teleport to it while I hacked the stations trade, production, and storage terminals (4 times on storage) at each station. While waiting for the Geometric owl to arrive at it's next destination, I would teleport to either the HQ to stop at the traders or the defense station in silent witness to hire marines, give them seminars, and assign them to ships. I was low on management seminars so i had to comm them on the defense station after they arrived a few times to give them the seminars, but those stations were never in terran space, and the Geometric Owl never left inner Sol.
Jupiter? Mercury? As those are known to be a factor.
jimmybobkins wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 13:02
I suspect rapid fire seminars may be the common thread here? Perhaps?
Anything that causes the background planet to load in might be a cause. In my case it was mostly station build plan window with background enabled. However I did have it triggered by a few seminars when the portrait loads in the sector background.

jimmybobkins
x4

Post by jimmybobkins » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:15

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:05
Jupiter? Mercury? As those are known to be a factor.
Mercury :)
Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:05
Anything that causes the background planet to load in might be a cause. In my case it was mostly station build plan window with background enabled. However I did have it triggered by a few seminars when the portrait loads in the sector background.
The station comms I was sending were to stations in tharkas cascade, silent witness and nepilios fortune, so I don't think they were a factor, and I did check the build progress on a few stations build plans, but they were HQ in grand exchange still, and maybe neptune.

buds

Post by buds » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 23:08

Had this happen again, really bizzare this time. I was battling xenons again in hewas and right clicked my shipyard in mars "build ships" and selected syn / max preset. It said i needed a small amount of turret components / advanced electronics, I checked all components and all were TER and my preferred build for the shipyard is set as terran. It never did this before, I then hit escape to see if (modified) and it was (modified). Loaded previous savegame and all is good now after playing a whole day straight probably built 8 syns in that time. I think whatever it is it has something to do with terrans / coh / 4.x because it never happened with 3.3.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”