[4.1] Steam Workshop issue - impossible to update mod

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shuulo
x4

[4.1] Steam Workshop issue - impossible to update mod

Post by Shuulo » Thu, 16. Sep 21, 17:29

Hi devs,

I know it may be not your responsibility but I remember there was the same case when the game had major update previously and was fixed with X-tools update.
Basically since 4.1 release I always get the Error Code 2 from Steam workshop when updating the VRO mod, while official doc says that it relates to steam servers down its definitely not the case (other people uploaded new mods in the meantime) and looking through the google it seems that this error can occur for many reasons, including size limit or X-tools issues.

So, can I please ask if its possible for someone to check the functionality of the X-tool? My mod update is 251 MB heavy, can be due to size limit set by Egosoft or something?

I tried solutions form the other sources mentioned below, but neither helped.
Spoiler
Show
1. Find your Steam install directory in windows explorer.
2. Right click, Properties.
3. Select the "Security" tab.
4. Check for the presence of "Users" in the "Group or user names" box.
5. If it's not present, they can select "Edit", find "Users" in the next window and select "Add"

Or:
1. Disable The Family Sharing Feature.
2. Verify Your Game Files.
3. Change The Download Server.
4. Reinstall Steam.
I tried to find support from Steam/Valve but they just point to Egosoft site saying that they are not responsible for techsupport for the game or tools that are used to update workshop items, wrote them another e-mail but waiting for the reply 3 days now. Dont know what else to do really.

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [4.1] Steam Workshop issue - impossible to update mod

Post by KlausM » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 12:30

Hi,

unfortunately the error code 2 is a generic Steam error code and does not reveal the cause of the problem.

If I remember correctly, there is actually an undocumented size limit in the order of 200 to 300 MB for the Steam cloud upload mechanism that we use for the Steam Workshop. Perhaps that is what causes the error.

Another possibility is that you've started the WorkshopTool directly from disk, not through the Steam client. You should start "X Tools" from the Steam library and run the WorkshopTool from the opened command console (or via a shortcut afterwards). Starting through Steam is apparently necessary for some Steam cloud initialization, and not doing so can cause problems while running the WorkshopTool.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 19:34

KlausM wrote:
Fri, 17. Sep 21, 12:30
Hi,
Hi, thanks for looking into it.
I tried to launch it from Steam directly - still the same issue. As for the size - mod update includes tweaks to some XML files, so the difference, if any, is few KBs.

Steam support also replied to me with the following answer, so basically they re not responsible for this and cant help.
I tried a lot of solutions on the internet by now, but it still fails every time. I could just reupload the mod as new one but it has 15k subscribers and many many other mods have VRO as dependency in workshop so its not really feasible.

There is no way to increase the limit for workshop, just in case this is the reason? Some games have mods weighting few GBs on workshop.

Im out of ideas and a bit frustrated, would be glad if someone has anything to suggest.

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 18:55

Shuulo wrote:
Fri, 17. Sep 21, 19:34
There is no way to increase the limit for workshop, just in case this is the reason? Some games have mods weighting few GBs on workshop.
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the size limit in the short term. It would be possible to update the workshop support in a way that removes that limit, using a newer API provided by Steam, but that would require quite some work, and we cannot make any promise about whether or when that is going to happen.

Apart from reducing the size, the only way I can see to work around the limitation is to split the mod up into multiple items. If that is an option for you, you could define dependencies between extensions in content.xml, and/or provide a workshop collection on Steam to simplify the subscription process for players.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 21:47

KlausM wrote:
Sun, 19. Sep 21, 18:55
Shuulo wrote:
Fri, 17. Sep 21, 19:34
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the size limit in the short term. It would be possible to update the workshop support in a way that removes that limit, using a newer API provided by Steam, but that would require quite some work, and we cannot make any promise about whether or when that is going to happen.

Apart from reducing the size, the only way I can see to work around the limitation is to split the mod up into multiple items. If that is an option for you, you could define dependencies between extensions in content.xml, and/or provide a workshop collection on Steam to simplify the subscription process for players.
It seems size is not the problem. I managed to update the mod using Steam on another PC, there seem to be an issue with with either my PC or steam install. If Ill find the reason for that ill post it so others are aware.
Thanks for taking time to look into this.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”