[4.0 CoH] Incorrect Savegeame Loading (Boarding Op in progress) - Fix in a build after 4.10 release.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dominus
x4

[4.0 CoH] Incorrect Savegeame Loading (Boarding Op in progress) - Fix in a build after 4.10 release.

Post by Dominus » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 17:12

Boarding ops do not load correclty. Almost all my marines dissapeared. No casualties just disapeared from the boarding op.
I had two ops at the same time only one was affected.

BEFORE anyone writes about save scumming:
Please understand no all people have all the time in the world to play as much as they wish and some times they need to quit without saving and losing 200 veteran-elite marines because the las autosave happened in the middle of a boarding op is a bad joke.
You coud say it is to deter save scumming but there is a more effective system in place: Saving/loading the game takes AGES.

If it can not be fixed at least do not allow save and autosave in the middle of a boarding op.

SaveGame
Bugged Op is on IGS-562
Denantes mortos que escravos.
Sorry for Bad english. :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [4.0 CoH] Incorrect Savegeame Loading.

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 17:38

Just to be clear, are you saying the autosave process itself caused the marines to be lost from the operation straight away after the save happened? That would indeed be a serious bug but likely cannot be replicated from your supplied save (see paragraph below).

If they were only lost upon *reloading* that save after what you considered to be an unsatisfactory but continuing operation then that is indeed working as intended and is not a bug. A boarding operation will fail catastrophically if you load a save made while that boarding operation is still in progress with marines dispatched - and which is why your save has no investigative value. The saving process itself alone should not cause such a failure though.

I suspect that the other unaffected operation of yours from reloading that save was saved either before marine dispatch or after success.

Notice that I didn't mention save-scumming before now. :wink:

You may not like the boarding saving mechanic as intended by the devs, but that would not make it a Tech Sp issue (even though it has been raised here before) but more a topic for the main X4 gameplay forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 18:13

Are you sure they did that on purpose? There's already a mechanic that prevents saving during mission dialogue they could use if they wanted that. Why make the game act like it's broken and call it a feature? Especially when autosaves sometimes trigger after things like dialogue and could happen during this process.
***modified***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 18:49

Well, you maybe cannot predict when an autosave will happen but nobody forces you to reload that specific autosave if you don't like the ensuing operation in which it saved - and especially if you have made a quicksave before you sent in the marines, etc. The previous autosave to that one is still available to you and so nothing really is lost apart from a bit of time on pause while it autosaves.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 04:28

My point is that they could simply stop it from saving then at all if they did not want those ~2 minutes to be reloadable, and then would not give people the impression their game is breaking. It doesn't really seem like a look that anyone trying to sell games would cultivate intentionally.
***modified***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 14:20

Now you are just opening up a wider issue - ie checks to be conducted before autosaving. Should it check for player combat, player missions, plots, boarding ops, etc, etc. All those additional checks take coding time and money to put into place, could be the source of additional unforeseen issues, will never be enough checks for *everyone*, and will add to the time penalty for every in-game autosave. (Also some boarding operations done on say 'very strong' settings can take a *lot* longer than 2 minutes!)

Anyway, I have asked the devs if they still think the catastrophic operation failure response is as intended. Let's see.

Dominus
x4

Re: [4.0 CoH] Incorrect Savegeame Loading (Boarding Op in progress).

Post by Dominus » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 14:51

Autosave happened while two boarding operations were in progress none of them in the first stage.

Sadly the previous save before the problematic one was form the previous autosave. Of course I prefer to lose the marines to one more hour of gameplay.

If they made the system to fail to load the boarding operations correctly they shouldn't allow autosave while any operation is active. They are imposing a game rule over an uncontrollable* behavior of the game. (*:Yea I know i can change the autosave frequency but it would not fix the problem)

I mention about save scumming because I searched for the issue before posting. The first result had a reply comparing the loading problem to a save scumming prevention. Searched it again: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=425232

Edit: Postponing autosave until all boarding operations end would be top.
Denantes mortos que escravos.
Sorry for Bad english. :)

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [4.0 CoH] Incorrect Savegeame Loading (Boarding Op in progress).

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Wed, 15. Sep 21, 22:58

Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in a future build. Until then, best not save and load when there is a boarding operation when the marines are on the target.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”