Cant move in first person

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

timmy111

Cant move in first person

Post by timmy111 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 00:01

Hi,

Had previously played a long time ago. Just freshly reinstalled via Steam. Version 4.0 434806

If I'm in first person character mode in a ship for example then I can move at all. I cant look about, cant move any direction.

I have tried resetting defaults. I have tried loading the default controller profile. I have tried a HOTAS controller setup. I have a Joystick, which I have tried plugged in and not plugged in.

If I start in the flight seat of a ship (via one of the tutorials) then I can pilot that ship! If I teleport to another ship, I'm stuck as I cant move again.. no controls work in first person character mode.

Please help.

Not that my PC would effect this but I have a decent PC - i7-8700K, 64GB, NVidia GTX 980 Ti.

Thanks

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Cant move in first person

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 11:06

"Just freshly reinstalled via Steam." I assume that would be the main clue and would suspect that your reinstall is incomplete or corrupt or has old 3rd party mod and script files still installed.

Is this with a new and vanilla gamestart, are you applying 3rd party mods or are you loading old saves that might be modded, edited or suspect?

Even if you have successfully verified the reinstall (you have done that since the reinstall haven't you?), it would probably be wise to do a complete game folder manual deletion (X4 only!) and then a clean reinstall. Make sure any control profiles and config files that rely on old mods etc are deleted.

Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

timmy111

Post by timmy111 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 12:23

Thanks for your reply.

No mods installed. Verified files, didnt help. Freshly re-re-installed, didnt help.

Im trying to load the 1st default controller profile.. so I presume that shouldn't be edited in any way? How would I reset that if not?

For example I go into the 1st tutorial and it says just look up and down and shows a message saying use mouse... but I have a mouse cursor??? so my mouse cursor just moves up and down. I'm guessing I shouldn't have a mouse cursor at that point.

Thanks

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 13:05

You know that there are two control modes and that you switch between them using Shift+Space by default?

timmy111

Post by timmy111 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 14:50

First of all, I just want to say.. I'm a competent computer user lol. I haven't got my keyboard unplugged or something. I have a software engineering degree and I'm a programmer by trade. Not to say I'm not doing something wrong, just saying I'm not usually incompetent haha..

Yes and No, I saw someone say about pressing that when searching for answers.... it does nothing for me. I verified in my key bindings and "Toggle Mouse Steering" is bound to Shift + Space.

TBH though it almost feels like it disables my keyboard or something when in first person.. so to give a even more detailed description of the 1st "Tutorial: Flight School" scenario...

I load up, it askes it I want to load a profile. I can use the keyboard or mouse to select an answer - I press No (or yes and select the default one).

he says pay attention to bottom left - all good, press esc to continue

he introduces himself and says hes going to get me to try moving etc.. I can press the esc key during this chat and it pauses things and goes to the menu.

Then a message comes up saying [ use the mouse to look around. ]

As soon as that message is up, pressing the esc key does nothing.. dont know if thats normal? shift + space does nothing.

The only way out at that point is using the mouse cursor to press the "Messages" panel bottom left which brings up the menu and I can quit or restart etc.

BTW I have even tried a different keyboard.

hopefully my further description of the exact circumstances gives you another idea what it could be.

Thanks

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 15:36

u tried unplugging hotas or other pads?

u tried deleting the config file in my docs/ego/x4/numbers of a sort/config file there.

any mouse software running that ur mouse usually uses at startup if so turn it off?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

timmy111

Post by timmy111 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 17:16

thanks for trying.

tried controllers unplugged and plugged in.

I just tried deleting \Documents\Egosoft\X4\Steam ID No\.. (while not running)
config.xml
inputmap.xml
inputmap_1.xml
inputmap_2.xml

Are there any other files worth trying delete? or can i reset them somehow

all the files re-appear when I relaunch the game. There are some minor changes to inputmap.xml but still doesnt work.

the other 2 input map files seem to have been restored somehow.. maybe a steam sync thing. I'm not loading those profiles anyway.

No mouse software - its a simple mouse.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Thu, 9. Sep 21, 20:11, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Masked some included personal data.

timmy111

Post by timmy111 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 17:19

can someone confirm the normal flow on that flight school tutorial.. does your mouse cursor disappear when asked to use the mouse to look up and down? does the mouse just control your view direction? is there any key combo that allows you to switch to mouse cursor?

for the record, its the in game mouse cursor and its locked to that window - not a generic windows mouse cursor.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 17:46

tried switching from fullscreen to windowed or borderless windowed mode to see if one of those help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsmSCwBhb4 Thats probably how it should be, i dunno ive never done it tbh. If it doesnt do that, then yeah u need help and hopefully one of the devs can try suggesting a few things, did you by chance check the faq thread, i dunno if anything in there is useful for you tho but i havent checked, if u want to and havent checked yet, maybe worth a look.

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=402386

@alan those 2 control methods only switch when in a ship flying it, not when your on a station walking about. ;)
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

timmy111

Post by timmy111 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 18:17

ok, kinda fixed it - its working now. Thanks for your help.

I turned off Steam Cloud / sync for this game. Deleted the whole config/save file folder (backed up) and started again.. works.

Obviously not happy with loosing saves but ill try now to restore those separately. Maybe ill do some Diff's on the old and new generated config files.

There really should be a reset setting button.. well, there is, but it should work better at resetting things as that didn't work.

Thanks again

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 20:08

Steam Cloud *should* only replace files that are known to it as missing or corrupted. What it should *not* do is replace good files of the same name nor change default settings from one file name to another.

I'm now wondering if you have physically moved the location of config files or changed the working folder pointer such that Steam thinks the files are missing whereas in fact they are present but not exactly where Steam still expects them to be.

When you reinstalled the game, I would not have expected your Steam ID number in the saves etc directory path to change, but it might have.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”