[4.00/4.10 B4] Questionable equation for "bail chance"

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Berserk Knight
x4

[4.00/4.10 B4] Questionable equation for "bail chance"

Post by Berserk Knight » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 05:57

This is the current bail chance in md/notifications.xml, line 987 (as of 4.10 B4).

Code: Select all

( (46 - $target.combinedskill / 5) * [(($target.maxhull)f / [($attacker.maxhull)f, 1.0].max), 1.0].min * [(($attacker.shieldpercentage + $attacker.hullpercentage) / [($target.shieldpercentage + $target.hullpercentage), 1.0].max), 1.0].min )i
First and third parts seem fine.
Enemy pilot having higher skill reduces the chances of them bailing? Sure.
Your ship being in a worse condition than the enemy lowers the chances of the enemy bailing? Makes sense.

The SECOND part

[(($target.maxhull)f / [($attacker.maxhull)f, 1.0].max), 1.0].min
is what I see as an issue.

ATTACKER(player)'s max hull is the denominator. The HIGHER the player's hull is (=the better the player's ship is), the LOWER the multiplier, resulting in lower chance for bailing.
This makes a scout have something like 5 times higher chances of making an enemy ship bail than a corvette.

This is how it would look in-universe.

Asgard : Surrender or die!
Enemy : Ha! No. Your pathetic ship doesn't scare me.

Kopis (Terran S mining ship. 1 gun, 1000 max hull.) : Surr...
Enemy (potentially an Asgard) : PLEASE SPARE MY LIFE OH FEARSOME ONE!

Flipping the second part would make more sense.
If you're worried about low hull fighters not having any real chance of capping larger ships, multiply the second and third parts together BEFORE capping it to 1.0 so heavy damage can counteract the max hull difference, THEN apply it to the first part.

( (46 - $target.combinedskill / 5) * [(($attacker.maxhull)f / [($target.maxhull)f, 1.0].max * ($attacker.shieldpercentage + $attacker.hullpercentage) / [($target.shieldpercentage + $target.hullpercentage), 1.0].max), 1.0].min )i

Alm888
x4

Re: [4.00/4.10 B4] Questionable equation for "bail chance"

Post by Alm888 » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 20:46

Berserk Knight wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 05:57
ATTACKER(player)'s max hull is the denominator. The HIGHER the player's hull is (=the better the player's ship is), the LOWER the multiplier, resulting in lower chance for bailing.
This makes a scout have something like 5 times higher chances of making an enemy ship bail than a corvette.
Correct. As it should be. WAI, if I may say so.
Otherwise, a player on a Raptor or Rattlesnake would litter battlefield with ownerless ships of her/his enemies.

As I understand, you like corvettes and feel that it is unjust that your Nemesis is somehow less scary than my Pulsar but consider this: if one manages to get an upper hand in a fight using weaker craft then this is a more skilled pilot than someone who manages to win only by virtue of superior firepower.

P.S. "HIGHER hull" /= "better ship". Otherwise everyone would be donning a Colossus.
Berserk Knight wrote:
Asgard : Surrender or die!
Enemy : Ha! No. Your pathetic ship doesn't scare me.
I laugh at Asgard from the cockpit of my Moreya with 2xBurst Ray + 2xBlast Mortar. If I was on a Colossus however, I would actually worry about that "death ray", main batteries or L turrets…
Berserk Knight wrote:
Kopis (Terran S mining ship. 1 gun, 1000 max hull.) : Surr...
Enemy (potentially an Asgard) : PLEASE SPARE MY LIFE OH FEARSOME ONE!
Do not be so dramatic. Anything with max Hull of less than or equal to that of a target would attain the maximum effect of 1.0. So your Nemesis is as fine against an Asgard as my Moreya. (Against a Kopis, however… :twisted: Fear the Might of Kopis!)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”