Uncontrollable yawing to left - Resolved, Thrustmaster t16000m fcs needs reliable 5V supply to avoid this.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RAS Zodiac

Uncontrollable yawing to left - Resolved, Thrustmaster t16000m fcs needs reliable 5V supply to avoid this.

Post by RAS Zodiac » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 13:53

Hello everyone,
Been playing computer games for over 35 years and this is my first post on any forum! I've played X2 Reunion, X3TC and now X4 Foundations which I bought on Steam in March 2021. Because I bought a new PC and a room refurb I've only just started playing from the Young Guns start. My issue is with the uncontrollable yawing/drifting to the left in flight. I have a Thrustmaster T160000M HOTAS and no matter how I assign 'Primary flight control' to my Z (joystick twist) yaw/rudder, turn off the gamepad or set it to controller/joystick it persists.
I currently have the left/right set to a digital input which makes combat very difficult.
I appreciate this is an old issue but I'm at my wits end with this. I've played Elite Dangerous with the exact same setting with no issue.
Thanks.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Uncontrollable yawing to left.

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 14:08

It could be all sorts of things such as where the game expects an analogue input but receives a digital one instead - or vice versa. The game has the choice of digital and analogue input options in the Controls profile for at least 2 axes. Check your stick output settings against your game settings and against what you intended in that respect. You may not have all control options over all 3 axes and so might have to compromise a bit on one of them.

Sometimes other game settings such as flight assist and auto-roll can have strange apparent effects on controller/stick outputs so that may be worth checking.

Other causes could include poor stick calibration, poor deadzones, poor sensitivity settings, or a stuck controller button or throttle that is sending a continuous input to the game.

Make sure that a different controller that is plugged in is not overrriding your stick outputs. It is best to unplug any controllers/sticks etc that you don't need while playing.

Good luck with the investigation.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 14:16

If steam version go in ur library right click on x4 go to properties then find controller then click on the use default settings line and change it to disable steam input. See if that helps.

If using a 360 pad and a stick, maybe unplug the pad while playing with the flight stick setup.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/d ... 095310793/
viewtopic.php?t=402724
https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... nd+Options
https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... on_layout/
maybe of help too.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

RAS Zodiac

Post by RAS Zodiac » Fri, 30. Jul 21, 12:50

Hello, thanks for all your suggestions and help but the problem persists.

I only have my Thrustmaster t16000m and twcs throttle plugged in and I've downloaded the latest drivers for it. In Windows control panel everything seems to be working including the joystick RZ rotation and I've never seen an option to change between digital/analogue signal in here. In game however something is sending a signal to this axis causing the yawing left. I've mapped left/right to a digital input but not ideal.

RAS Zodiac

Post by RAS Zodiac » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 20:53

Hi everyone, just thought I'd update you on my issue.

While trawling the internet/forums i stumbled on a post which was the answer. Apparently the thrustmaster t16000m fcs needs a permanent and guaranteed 5v power supply. Plugged into my new PC, in any of the 7 usb ports, didn't do this so I bought one from Amazon and now everything works flawlessly.

You live and learn!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 20:54

Thanks for the update and resolution.

It makes one wonder what else a possibly suspect 5V supply on one's system might affect though.

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 03:03

RAS Zodiac wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 20:53
While trawling the internet/forums i stumbled on a post which was the answer. Apparently the thrustmaster t16000m fcs needs a permanent and guaranteed 5v power supply.
You don't happen to remember where you read this?

/me Thinking about opening the joystick and measuring voltages before and after regulators.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Uncontrollable yawing to left - Resolved, Thrustmaster t16000m fcs needs reliable 5V supply to avoid this.

Post by Terre » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 08:23

Windows 10 power management will turn the dormant controller off, to save power. You can disable this in the registry, I used the following the guide so I could use two TH16000M's, without Windows constantly turning them off.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 2dc8725a73
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Uncontrollable yawing to left - Resolved, Thrustmaster t16000m fcs needs reliable 5V supply to avoid this.

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 09:27

@ peteran: It occurs to me that the stick internal regulators must be doing their job properly if the stick works fine with an external 5V supply but not necessarily with the OP's system supply.

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 13:27

Terre wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 08:23
Windows 10 power management will turn the dormant controller off, to save power. You can disable this in the registry, I used the following the guide so I could use two TH16000M's, without Windows constantly turning them off.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 2dc8725a73
Now I'm curious. Does the T.1600M really draw so little power that it gets to the realm of parasitic? At least one of my power banks shuts off the power just as my Raspberry Pi Zero has booted. Windows shutting off power sounds like the most likely reason.

RAS Zodiac:
  • Did this happen on a laptop or a desktop with laptopish power settings?
  • Check USB selective suspend in Windows power options.
  • What version of Windows?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”