X4 Foundations Escape Plan Gamebreaking bug - Probably mod releated.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aseron
x4

X4 Foundations Escape Plan Gamebreaking bug - Probably mod releated.

Post by Aseron » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 02:29

During the Escape Plan mission (terran cadet), I have encountered a gamebreaking bug.

To put it simply, during step 5, right after the two split brothers talk over comms, the game screen will freeze. At the very least, the screen will freeze. I don't actually know if the game freezes because its status in task manager does not change at all (cpu, gpu, memory all remain the same as before the freeze), I can still move the mouse freely, and the music still plays.

Things I have tried:
Making the mission inactive
Unlocking research (cheat menu mod) and teleporting out of the system
Changing graphics settings to making it "easier" on the PC
Waiting it out (50 minutes and no change)
Verifying Integrity of game Files (steam local files option)
Starting a new game on a new save under the assumption that that one is corrupt

None of it works.

Please help.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: X4 Foundations Escape Plan Gamebreaking bug

Post by CBJ » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 02:30

Please provide an unmodified savegame shortly before the problem occurs.

Aseron
x4

Post by Aseron » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 03:22

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 02:30
Please provide an unmodified savegame shortly before the problem occurs.
How would I "provide" those files? I don't see anything in the "post a reply" page that would let me attach a file.

And by unmodified, you mean without any mods active?
Would that be done by just turning all the mods off and taking a new save of the existing save (the one that previously ran with mods)?

Or do I need to do another fresh start and start with an "unmodified" game, and play back up to that point?

Edit: After disabling the mods, I can't load the game. It says its "Missing, old or disabled extensions." Guess a fresh, modless start it is.

Edit2: It looks like cheat menu automatically makes the thing a "modified" game. The issue is, I don't think I have time to play through all of this a third time without being able to at least force the construction components for the PHQ's docking area to be there. It would take weeks just to get the material for the PHQ docking area, since "Hull Parts" factories don't seem to exist anywhere on in the universe in the base game. If nothing else, I need to be able to force that component to be there, since there are no suppliers for hull parts in the whole universe (none that I have found after revealing map through cheat menu at least).
That being the case, you will need to accept a modified game, with the knowledge that Cheat Menu from the steam workshop is the only active mod.

Of course, you will have to tell me how to attach the save file before I can do that.

Aseron
x4

Post by Aseron » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 05:30

After Removing all mods, the game seems to work again. At least, I get past the previous point.

I just wish I knew which mod it was that messed things up.

Edit: aaand when I enable the mods after finishing that part of the story, and try to load that same save that is now past the freeze point, the game is stuck at 99% loading.

So, I can either play the game basically without mods (the lack of the mods makes the gameplay experience notably less fun), play the game only up to a certain point with the mods, or spend several to dozens more hours of my life figuring out which mod exactly it is that is causing the error (a real PITA considering how long it takes to load a save from the menu)...

Or I can stop playing the game altogether. Yep, that seems like the most reasonable and least frustrating option. Its not worth the trouble when I can't even play the game on my monitor's native resolution without the framerate tanking into the single digits (have to run it on 1920x1080 when my screen is a 4k screen due to not having enough graphics RAM, which means the actual resolution is barely better than 480p).

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 15:05

Did you just convince yourself that it is the game's fault that your collection of 3rd party mods potentially causes issues? :gruebel:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”