[FIX]Target aim lost when getting near to target

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

WoodyAut
x4

[FIX]Target aim lost when getting near to target

Post by WoodyAut » Tue, 25. May 21, 16:42

Hi,

When targeting a ship from the distance or setting the guiding system on a ship, why is the aim lost, when flying nearby ? Re-targeting is troublesome especially in case more similar ships are on the map.

Best regards
WoodyAut

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Target aim lost when getting near to target

Post by CBJ » Tue, 25. May 21, 16:51

You'll need to provide a bit more information, and preferably a savegame demonstrating what you're describing, otherwise our guess will be as good as yours. :)

WoodyAut
x4

Post by WoodyAut » Tue, 25. May 21, 18:32

Hi CBJ,

Since this happens to me nearly every 2nd time when i am approaching a ship to kill it, i thougt this is a common issue or intentionally...
Will provide a savegame as soon as possible

Best regards
WoodyAut

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 26. May 21, 09:39

@WoodyAut this happens to me all the time as well, thanks for raising the issue.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

WoodyAut
x4

Post by WoodyAut » Wed, 26. May 21, 20:11

Hi,

Got now a chance to replicate it...at least 2 out of 4 tries...savegame is here..... https://gofile.io/d/WNOnNK
You are in the Gambit, nice ship, good weapons and speed, but bad brakes, a minotaurus in travel mode is already targeted in the guiding system.
Goto travel mode, use mousecontrol, target the ship and follow it - we want to shoot it out of the travel mode.
When in shooting distance, shoot at the ship, the minotaurus speed will decrease dramatically, so we also want to stop by hitting backspace.....and there is good chance after hitting backspace the target and the guidance to this ship is lost, in case it does not work on the first try even after breaking and turning around, go to travel mode again and doing the same, the target is not aimed anymore - looks like it is somehow connected by hitting backspace to get the aiming lost.

Hope this helps....

Best regards
WoodyAut

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 26. May 21, 21:34

Just going from your description of the encounter above, it sounds as though the situation is a very fast and close overtake and overfly. When that happens, it is possible that at that instant of passing the angle to target is changing so rapidly that the targeting AI just cannot cope and so target lock is lost at the time of closest approach. That is actually quite a realistic scenario (eg a fighter manoeuvre intended to break missile or other fighter tracking lock) and if that is indeed the reason then it is more likely a tracking computational limitation than a coding bug.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

WoodyAut
x4

Post by WoodyAut » Thu, 27. May 21, 12:22

Hi Alan,

Sounds somehow logical, but we are flying spaceships, terraforming planets and shooting with laserweapons in this game....and a fast pass-by of an aimed ship disables the aiming and the guiding system ?
But to follow your logic...if the target aiming itself is lost during fast flyby....ok...given....but to have to have a look in maybe a bunch of ships in the map to find my original target again because also the guiding system locked on this ship got disabled is a bit boring (ok...Pause helps)
Did not have yesterday more time to check out....but it looked the aim did not got immidiatly disabled, but got lost when i pressed backspace, will do some more checks on this.

Best regards
WoodyAut

WoodyAut
x4

Post by WoodyAut » Thu, 27. May 21, 19:18

Hi,

So just retested a bit - fast flyby is enough to get the aim/guiding lost.....so the only question @egosoft is - is this intentionally (Yes/no/no idea/afraid) ? :?

Best regards
WoodyAut

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by florianlt » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 09:13

Fixed in an upcoming build.

strask412
x4

Re: [FIX]Target aim lost when getting near to target

Post by strask412 » Thu, 1. Jul 21, 13:40

Yaythankyou!!
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”