[4.0 HF3] Fleeing causes entire fleets to get stuck in a fleeing suicide loop

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

iforgotmysocks
x4

[4.0 HF3] Fleeing causes entire fleets to get stuck in a fleeing suicide loop

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sun, 16. May 21, 00:54

Hey guys, the fleeing mechanic may require some closer inspection. I lost 2 Syns today, due to the ai's way of fleeing.
Edit: 21 Syns the next day, when they never managed to get away from a trading station due to being locked into repeatedly fleeing back towards it.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=531

If ships are about to be save, it seems quite questionable, why they would turn around to ensure their certain death and call it 'fleeing'. ^^

What makes this behavior a bit more troublesome is, that even if i catch the issue in time and cancel the flee command manually, ships almost immediately try to flee towards the hostile station again. So my only options remain to override the command by having them engage the station or hold position.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [4.0 HF3] Fleeing causes entire fleets to get stuck in a fleeing suicide loop

Post by CBJ » Wed, 19. May 21, 12:08

It's not really possible to tell what's happening from a screenshot. Can you provide an unmodified savegame showing what you're describing?

Clownmug
x4

Re: [4.0 HF3] Fleeing causes entire fleets to get stuck in a fleeing suicide loop

Post by Clownmug » Wed, 19. May 21, 13:56

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 19. May 21, 12:08
It's not really possible to tell what's happening from a screenshot. Can you provide an unmodified savegame showing what you're describing?
Seems like this happens very often if global attack response is set to escape, so should be reproducible. In that screenshot they're trying to manually order the ships to a position out of range of the station but flee response overrides the order for the two closest ships. If they delete the flee order under the Behavior menu it will just come back again due to the global order. The only workaround is to go to the Individual Instructions menu and set attack response to ignore, then delete the flee order.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 19. May 21, 14:38

Unfortunately many reports that people say "should be reproducible" turn out not to be without very specific circumstances that nobody happens to have mentioned in their reports. When this happens, a lot of developer time ends up being wasted; time which could have been spent fixing things that we can reproduce. That's why we ask for savegames. :)

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Wed, 19. May 21, 14:58

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 19. May 21, 14:38
Unfortunately many reports that people say "should be reproducible" turn out not to be without very specific circumstances that nobody happens to have mentioned in their reports. When this happens, a lot of developer time ends up being wasted; time which could have been spent fixing things that we can reproduce. That's why we ask for savegames. :)
Understood, I'm just sharing my experience for context, hoping it would save everyone's time.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Fri, 21. May 21, 23:57

Clownmug wrote:
Wed, 19. May 21, 13:56
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 19. May 21, 12:08
Seems like this happens very often if global attack response is set to escape, so should be reproducible. In that screenshot they're trying to manually order the ships to a position out of range of the station but flee response overrides the order for the two closest ships. If they delete the flee order under the Behavior menu it will just come back again due to the global order. The only workaround is to go to the Individual Instructions menu and set attack response to ignore, then delete the flee order.
Pretty well described, except that the global order was left at default (Use judgement). Ships just started 'fleeing' towards the station again over and over, even tho i canceled the command to get them out manually multiple times. Sadly all i could've offered at that time would be a modded save, that didn't have mods running which affected the ai scripts. Just seemed worth mentioning that this really helpful feature in X-R is now literally causing entire fleets to get wiped out, that would otherwise have no trouble getting away. :D

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 01:18

I had the same problem in Antigone Memorial, my miners were under constant attack from Khaak ships. As soon as I killed them all, a few minutes later at least 4 more Khaak showed up and kept harassing my miners.
I have the action "Flee" in global orders when ships are under attack.

I've noticed as soon as a Khaak ship hits my miners, they start fleeying.
But as soon as they're somewhat out of range, or if the Khaak turn away from the miner (not attacking anymore for a few seconds, or the Khaak chooses another target), the miners delete their Flee-order and go back to mining, entering the Khaak attack range once again.
They get stuck in a loop until they die.

I had to remove all my miners from Antigone Memorial, deal with the Khaak, wait a bit and resume mining.

They should simply choose a nearby station, flee and don't turn back until they dock at the station.
And wait until the ship that attacked them is gone or dead.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”